Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If last week someone had posted here that Campy was going to release a 12 speed group that took up to 32 in the rear with a tightly spaced cogset, single rear derailleur standard, enlarged shift levers, and fit on all your existing 9/10/11 campy hubsets, and with more understated graphics, every MAMIL here would be singing it's praises. Instead the retrofetishism comes out in full force.

Ride what you like I guess, even if it's 20+ year old stuff.
I'll add another firm +1!

Your opinions on a certain cyclist on the other hand.....
Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 AM
Vendor

Oh, and... just to point out the obvious. A number of the form and aesthetic decisions and directions that went into C-Record vs the preceeding Super Record have gone into these versions of Record/Super Record vs the preceeding 11spd era as well.

You're just seeing it done in ultralight Carbon fibre vs heavy polished Aluminium and with vastly, vastly superior shifting function, stopping power and gearing range.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:51 AM
formerly Landshark_98

glad, for once, my arthritic thumbs no longer play nicely with Campy. That crank looks like the forehead of a Star Trek Next Generation character.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If last week someone had posted here that Campy was going to release a 12 speed group that took up to 32 in the rear with a tightly spaced cogset, single rear derailleur standard, enlarged shift levers, and fit on all your existing 9/10/11 campy hubsets, and with more understated graphics, every MAMIL here would be singing it's praises. Instead the retrofetishism comes out in full force.

Ride what you like I guess, even if it's 20+ year old stuff.
Yea, I don't know why it has to be such a dichotomy for people. You can like the old and the new at the same time. Heads will not explode and liking the new does not make the past less meaningful. You can embrace the future and hold on to the past in equal measure and be all the richer for it.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:03 AM

New Campy 12 Speed

For anyone who wants to take a flyer...

ProBikeKit sent out a 30% off RRP code this morning, and it works on the Record12 pre-order stuff.

RD for $185 w discount.

Crank, shifters, der’s, brakes, and chain for $1225. Just need the cassette...

Last edited by Clean39T; 04-09-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:18 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Aesthetically it's horrid.

Looking at the functional aspect, I don't really gain anything. The 32 would definitely be nice to have but the 11 and 12 are absolutely worthless to me. 11sp is the same for me, 10sp has a 13-29 cassette but the 11sp start with at least a 12 so 12-29 gets me an extra gear that I never use.

And beyond that, until they make it in silver alloy it will never adorn one of my bikes. I've come to accept the fact that I'll probably never buy a new groupset in my lifetime. I guess I'll just have to live with 10sp and I'm OK with that.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
And no 1x systems with the release of 12? Id think they could grab some serious market share doing a 1x 12s system. i guess ill stock up on 11s now?
1by is a niche in a niche in a niche in a.....you get the idea. The 1by ‘market share’ is teeny-tiny...Campag is releasing this Road group with a 32t cogset..more for for lower gearing/no triple. Not the Groad market.

Campagnolo NA says fall/interbike/Eurobike intro...11s ala Chorus/Potenza/Centaur gonna be around for a while
Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 PM

Literally just ordered an 11s record crank w/ stages.

Ah well. My shop guy says it might actually not hit until 2019.

We'll see. This is the first time I've asked if more is actually better.

Perhaps Im getting old.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Aesthetically it's horrid.
Campmano. Sorry, I'm sticking with the 5 bolt carbon cranks.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:45 PM
cmg

never full accepted the 11 spd drivetrain and now the 12 spd with a thinner chain. Even more finicky. my 10 speed record alloy crank with bottom bracket smoothest thing ever made. i'll pass or it will pass me.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:58 PM
#BikeMafia

Just need Shimano to come out with a 12 speed with the same spacing so I can use their cassettes on my wheels...Can't upgrade to 12s Campy till they do!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
You know, I was having the same reaction reading this thread and even thinking "how in the world was I considering disc brakes for a future road/gravel bike?" Then I find these two fine posts

I do so like my 5-arm SR white label cranks. And they fit Rotor Q-Rings nicely. Also, nothing like that satisfying feel of the "clunk" of a nice, solid mechanical shift. To quote Clean39T, here's to neo retrogrouches
yep.

I've read alot of articles on disc brakes (heck, I've even tried them out) and how they are revolutionizing the industry, but I have reached this point:

and decided this is not for me. Add in an ugly crank or a few more gears, or the latest carbon weave and I feel the same way.

I'm not getting any younger, or faster, and from here forward it is about enjoying my time on the bike. I have worked hard for the things I choose to put between my legs and want the most out of what I have left.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:19 PM
UN-Registered® User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
I don't know how folks are upset about the looks of the crank... to me it actually looks cleaner than the previous 11 speed version with the central hole.

That said, neither one will grace one of my bikes. The classic five 'spoke' crank is much more attractive to my eye (especially on traditional shape non-aero steel bikes), and I don't need the chainring compatibility that four 'spoke' offers.
Your image is way too big for me to place it again! Anyway, My main concern is not so much the looks of the SR crank-set. My concern would be a chain dropping on that excessive amount of carbon near the chain-rings! There's nothing worse looking than a freaking scratched carbon crank-set.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Yea, I don't know why it has to be such a dichotomy for people. You can like the old and the new at the same time. Heads will not explode and liking the new does not make the past less meaningful. You can embrace the future and hold on to the past in equal measure and be all the richer for it.
Anybody pining for Record/Super Record levels of alloy bits from Campy anytime soon are tilting at windmills. They make Potenza, and that covers it from their perspective. For top level race bits these days, they're all in on carbon.

Ye Gods, Campy stopped making Record alloy cranks 14 years ago now. It ain't coming back.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:29 PM

I'll just leave this here without comment...

vs.