Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 PM

Scrapping road shoes and pedals

I admit it, I am vain. I used Shimano Ultegra pedals for years, then decided that Speedplays looked cool and I had never owned a set.

I bought some and they work great, but I am pondering getting rid of road shoes and pedals altogether in favour of some time ATACs (my fave MTB pedal) and some carbon MTB shoes.

I know that this has been discussed to death but if I am a 210lb recreational rider who rarely rides more than three hrs at a time, is there any need for slippery soled cycling shoes? I have some Giro Codes that seem pretty stiff for my needs.

Sell the Speedplays and Sworks shoes?
Old 06-19-2019, 11:42 PM

I'm going through the same thing.
I have very stiff carbon road shoes and Keywin pedals - a great combo. However walking is a PITA.
I just got some uber stiff Luck MTB shoes and XT trail pedals. I think I've dialed in the right cleat position and not seeing any point in going back to slippery road shoes. I love being able to walk like a normal human being even when out on the road bike.
I'm not doing a TT so the extra weight and wind resistance of the lugged soles aren't ever a consideration.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:31 AM

Do it

You will never Er Look back
I had the first white look Pedals in 1989
Look Keo
Speedplay ( 6 pairs)
now no need for “ efficiency” of extreme power
yada yada
Now 6 pairs of Crank Brother Candy and the double
sided ones
And gasp! Flat pedals on my Traut
No more slipping and sliding
No bizarre and silly cleat covers yet another
form of silly walking.
The practical value of walking is the most
important factor for me
Old 06-20-2019, 03:58 AM

Give me comfortable, well-made, power-efficient road shoes that are maybe slightly awkward to walk in any day. They're purpose built for what you're doing. I tend to think if you're walking any significant distance on a road ride, something has gone seriously wrong.

Now groading/cross/mtn biking is a different story.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:58 AM

I think Drmojo has said it all.

There are some benefits to ATB shoes that road shoes will never match.

There are no drawbacks to using ATB shoes and pedals on a road bike, but you'll have to keep constant watch over your shoulder for the fashion police!

You wanna live life like that?
Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 AM

I doubt there is any real efficiency differences between road and mt bike pedal/shoe combos for normal riders. What I don't like with SPD setups is the slight side to side rocking I get. I much prefer the solid, connected feel I get with the SPD-SL road pedals. If I do a ride where I think walking may be involved I swap back to the old XT pedals and mt bike shoes. But, that rarely happens.

Tim
Old 06-20-2019, 06:10 AM

I like my road pedals and use cleat covers when I need to walk (hopefully, not too much walking will be done when I'm out riding!). No problemo. Well, the only problemo is that nobody makes my cleat covers anymore, and so they are now mostly Shoe Goo....
Old 06-20-2019, 06:51 AM

There is a void in the market for a svelte SPD shoe that eschews traction lugs and thick rubber soles. I am waiting for the introduction of a walkable, light, comfortable shoe before I bin my Sidi road shoes. The recreational, gravel, gran fondo, rando athletes would gobble these up. There is a similar need for a single sided lightweight SPD pedal. I know that Shimano offers one, but some additional choices would bring the technology forward.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I admit it, I am vain. I used Shimano Ultegra pedals for years, then decided that Speedplays looked cool and I had never owned a set.

I bought some and they work great, but I am pondering getting rid of road shoes and pedals altogether in favour of some time ATACs (my fave MTB pedal) and some carbon MTB shoes.

I know that this has been discussed to death but if I am a 210lb recreational rider who rarely rides more than three hrs at a time, is there any need for slippery soled cycling shoes? I have some Giro Codes that seem pretty stiff for my needs.

I think it's fine for you. Just don't forget to get a pair of basketball shorts and a baseball cap you wear backwards.

The only thing I find is that road shoes put you in a better position angle etc. for riding and SPD are flatter and better for walking. I do notice it on the bike. That said I did it for years and I tour and commute a lot so I am used to both. But for a straight up road ride I want road shoes and pedals.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:14 AM

SPDs

I use MTB pedals on most of my rides. Makes walking around way easier. With a stiff shoe I am not sure you will notice any difference in performance. Get ready for abuse from the hard core roadies, but I have converted some of my friends over

Ray
Old 06-20-2019, 07:21 AM
That guy..

time atac's are definitely go to pedal.
i would, and plan to, have them on all my bikes. even the "fast" road bike.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 AM
il Curmudgeoni

If they're good enough for this guy, they're probably good enough for us mere mortals...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andy.jpg (108.4 KB, 361 views)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post

Do you walk around a lot in bike shoes? If so, sure, swap the shoes and pedals..if not..but if ya really love the ATACS, sure..
Old 06-20-2019, 07:50 AM

As others have implied, stiff carbon soled mtb shoes make it a real option. I’ve done it for long solo training rides, and real like it, but for racing Im sticking with road shoes. They just feel a little more secure to me for sprints, hard out of saddle efforts, etc.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:53 AM

I've got Time ATAC pedals on all my bikes, and a number of different shoes with Time cleats mounted. I like not having to worry about what pedals are on the bike I want to ride, and just pick shoes based on what I plan to do on the bike.

I have a stiff soled minimal tread shoe for spirited rides, a more lugged but still relatively stiff shoe for MTB or gravel rides, a lace up casual shoe for whatever, and then a set of cold weather shoes.

Edit: I should mention I don't race or partake in any fast group rides of any sort(well maybe in the woods). Most of my rides are casual paced and solo, but I do like to do long 5+ hour rides when I have time.