Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 10:56 PM

OT: iPhone 6 or 7

I'm thinking about upgrading to an iPhone 6 or 7. I use cricket wireless for service as its cheap, gets reception in my basement office, and I don't use a ton of airtime. I'll be switching from a Samsung galaxy S4.
The iPhone 7 is $100 more (both 6/7 are 32gb), and wondering if those who have had one or both of these phones could comment on plus/minus of either. I liked the idea of being able to use an sd card on the samsung, but haven't even come close to maxing out storage in a few years so not too worried.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:02 PM

iphone 6 was one of the most glitchy phones I ever owned... It was the phone that was affected by Apple's IOS update that killed the battery life.. You know when apple admitted they release updates to hinder older models.. My iphone6 would die when the battery said 30%...

I got an iphoneX and haven't looked back.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:06 PM
Administrator

absolutely the 7.

literally the only iPhone update i ever cared about is waterproof-ness.

now you can just throw the phone in your back jersey pocket and not care if it gets wet. that was a big deal for me.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 PM

The 7 has 2 gigs of RAM vs only 1 in the 6. Plus it has the haptic touch home button and is overall a more snappier device. I've had one since the late 2016 as my primary mobile phone. I do IT as my career and have been supporting iPhones since the get go back in 2007. Also with iOS 13 coming out later in the year, the 7 will be more future-proof.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 PM

Always get the newest phone that you can afford so it will be compatible with new operating systems for that much longer.
And check feedback before updating your OS as Apple is pretty bad about backward compatibility - ie they don't care about supporting your older hardware with newer version OS.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:50 PM

If you're price sensitive and don't have to be using iOS, I'd look into the Google Pixel 3a. Otherwise, it's worth looking at Apple refurbished iPhones, too.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 AM

The Iphone 7 is waterproof. A big plus if you sometimes ride when it is raining!
Old 06-20-2019, 05:58 AM

The iPhone 6 will handle iOS 13, which is getting released in the fall. However, I suspect it may not handle the next year's update. This is about 5 year old hardware right now. It will probably start to show some age. That's another argument for springing for the 7.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:08 AM

My first smart phone was the iPhone 3. Several months later the 4 came out.
About a year or so into having the 3, I updated the iOS. Many people complained about the update. It would slow down your phone to a crawl whenever any type of location function was activated like Maps, certain sites, and some apps. I would have to go into settings and do a reset every time.
Now I just don't trust the updates. If it's working fine, I don't bother with updates. If an app needs a certain level iOS then I decide if I really need that app. I deleted Whatsapp because of the update requirement. No regret there.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Always get the newest phone that you can afford so it will be compatible with new operating systems for that much longer.
And check feedback before updating your OS as Apple is pretty bad about backward compatibility - ie they don't care about supporting your older hardware with newer version OS.
I agree with this. Also, don't get the model with the smallest memory. You might not need the most memory but if you start using even a few apps or take a lot of pictures you can rapidly run up against memory limitations.

The best iPhone I ever had was my 5S but it started to go bad after a few years. I now have an iPhone X and basically like it. I bought it when it first appeared on the market and I plan to keep it until it is near death.

The value starts after you've had it long enough to amortize the cost of the device, typically at two years.

If the OP gets one of these, get the 7 with high memory.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 AM

Might I suggest the iPhone 8? Wireless charging is showing up lots of places namely new cars and you could take advantage of that.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:24 AM

I had an insurance claim on my iPhone 6 64g a couple months ago (first time cracking a smart phone screen) and they replaced it with a 6S because they no longer deal with/support the iPhone 6, I guess.

Buying a 7 or later model is good advice.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
Might I suggest the iPhone 8? Wireless charging is showing up lots of places namely new cars and you could take advantage of that.
This. Great camera and wireless charging.

Wife has an Xr... I prefer the size of my 8. She does like facial recognition, though.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:28 AM

7 and up gains waterproofness but loses the headphone jack, which you may of may not need.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:54 AM

The iPhone 7 will be supported on iOS 13. The iPhone 6 *will not*:

https://www.cnet.com/news/wwdc-2019-...rk-mode-apple/