Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 PM

That article was a gut wrencher.

There but for the grace of God go many of us.

So sad. If someone becomes aware of an organization providing direct support, like a GoFundMe or something similar, pls. post a link here.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
There but for the grace of God go many of us.
Uh, no. I bet us can hold down a job, don't spend the whole day drunk or high, don't think panhandling is a solution to money woes, and don't see public sidewalks as a convenient toilet.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
Uh, no. I bet us can hold down a job, don't spend the whole day drunk or high, don't think panhandling is a solution to money woes, and don't see public sidewalks as a convenient toilet.
We're all closer to this than you may care to admit, but please continue demonizing the homeless.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
We're all closer to this than you may care to admit, but please continue demonizing the homeless.
I've read that a majority of the population are only 2 or 3 paycheques away from being homeless. And considering the amount of debt people carry to maintain a lifestyle, and the lack of financial literacy that many people have I can easily believe it.

Last edited by Llewellyn; 04-16-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

This is true. I've done volunteer work at several homeless centers, most recently a large one here in Tampa. The theme that has stuck with me is "anyone is one wrong decision away from being homeless". It's not about bad people, or drug people, or crazy people, or lazy people. It could be one life decision, followed by a cascade of events. It can happen to anyone.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
So anyways..
RT was one of eddie b's protoges, iirc. They were just fodder for the "program". Her situation is not right on so many levels. Group prayer, even if you don't believe. 🌷
Amen brother.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:11 AM

Wow, that's pretty rough...even for you

Quote:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:19 AM

Seems like she let things get the best of her. Regardless, being a top level competitor requires some thought as to what comes after.

Last edited by Mikej; 04-16-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:13 AM

Looks like was easier to deal with the bike stuff than with her own life, the key part for me was that she was "left" home when 17, that means that something was is wrong there from early life. She did some school... that means that the elevator gets to the top floor... if she suffers of depression or any other untreated personality disorder, which apparently she doesnt want to even try to fix, there's not much to do. And that's the sad part...

Here in the area we got a similar case, successful ceo (i think), a lot of money, suddenly life went downhill and she just like to be a hobo. Ex hubby doesnt get it, nobody gets it... something crashed emotionally and she loves to be a hobo. U go figure.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
I've read that a majority of the population are only 2 or 3 paycheques away from being homeless. And considering the amount of debt people carry to maintain a lifestyle, and the lack of financial literacy that many people have I can easily believe it.

Here ya go.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mikekoprowski/sky-high-rents-2020-issue
Old 04-16-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Wow, that's pretty rough...even for you
My toleration for coddling the homeless ended when I had to worry about stepping in human turds and my dog stepping on needles.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

liningminimal
Quote:
Speaking from my professional experience, I'd offer a couple of things:

It is extremely expensive for us to have a homeless population. More expensive than it is to house them. If we subsidized Rebecca's rent indefinitely, it would cost less than the resource mechanisms shes participating in now, particularly around health care interactions.

Economic-driven homelessness is only going to get worse in the next economic downturn. If we dont satisfy the point above by finding a way to either jam more affordable housing down every neighborhood's throat, or ideally, bring back public housing...then you haven't seen **** yet in terms of what this problem is going to look like when another recession comes.

Not to turn this into a political debate - homelessness should be a non-partisan issue, but to solve it we need to completely rethink how/where/why we allocate resources.
Well said, where $ is being proposed in the proposed 'budget' is appalling, embarrassing, political, this from a retired military guy..
Old 04-16-2019, 08:44 AM

Thread drifting on the homeless issue - many people need mental health care, that is not an argument. However, many options exist for the homeless, but they require individuals to follow rules etc, which many don't want to or cant - so they choose tents under the overpass and the behavioral health wing at the local hospital, for $4k a night. Many of them receive social security and choose to use on substances.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
My toleration for coddling the homeless ended when I had to worry about stepping in human turds and my dog stepping on needles.
Funny, the needles keep you from dog walking, thus, pooping on the street.

But the dog poop on the streets is replaced by human poop.

And the anger within is still there.

Sounds like a zero sum game to me.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
This is true. I've done volunteer work at several homeless centers, most recently a large one here in Tampa. The theme that has stuck with me is "anyone is one wrong decision away from being homeless". It's not about bad people, or drug people, or crazy people, or lazy people. It could be one life decision, followed by a cascade of events. It can happen to anyone.
The difference is that those of us without the mental issues will (usually) work to get 'back on track' rather than staying homeless.

Jay Leno was sleeping in his car when he first got to Hollywood...

M
Closed Thread

Tags
it's the economy