Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 06:30 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Looking for a gym that matches your high opinion of yourself? Try one of these...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/25/s...smid=url-share

(NYT gift link)

"At Ghost, which opened in Williamsburg in 2019, members are accepted if they are “thought leaders, creatives, founders or executives,” said Aqib Mamoon, the gym’s chief executive and founder, though he added that his “wellness destination” is not exclusive to any profession. Memberships, which cost up to $300 a month, are limited and require an application, an in-person interview and an internal review process."

You'd think that in spite of the name they could at least afford a bit more lighting...

Last edited by Louis; 03-25-2023 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:37 AM

that's weird. i guess they're blatant about it vs just pricing people out of the market..?
Old 03-25-2023, 06:49 AM

Not a place I'd want to hang, even if I could afford it.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:15 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowpicker View Post
Not a place I'd want to hang, even if I could afford it.
I think I'll settle for the free gym at work...
Old 03-25-2023, 07:53 AM

Makes me wonder why people go to gyms. How much social interaction goes in in these places. Maybe the training is secondary. I do not go to gyms, so what do I know? Out of touch.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/25/s...smid=url-share

(NYT gift link)

"At Ghost, which opened in Williamsburg in 2019, members are accepted if they are “thought leaders, creatives, founders or executives,” said Aqib Mamoon, the gym’s chief executive and founder, though he added that his “wellness destination” is not exclusive to any profession. Memberships, which cost up to $300 a month, are limited and require an application, an in-person interview and an internal review process."

You'd think that in spite of the name they could at least afford a bit more lighting...

People will be clamoring to get in. This is just a marketing ploy.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:23 AM

I go to my local Planet Fitness 2-3 times a week. it's part of my life. I'm retired and have the time. Light weight lifting, tread mill, elliptical, and other cardio.....for days I don't ride my bike. I try to do something physical at least 6 times per week. Helps keep my BP down. It's a large place, with about every machine you could want plus free weights. It's included in my Health Insurance benefits. Can go any time I want. Have been going to this same place over 20 years. Wouldn't say it's a social club, at least not for me, but have made many friends there. I enjoy going. It meets my opinion of myself. Nothing fancy, just a place to work out.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-25-2023 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:30 AM

No soup for you!

I would not patronize an establishment that expects you to feel privileged to be spending your money there.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:06 AM

I just climbed onto Medicare, and the plan & company I signed up for pays for my Health Club membership (a nice $480/yr bonus to use for bike parts). Unfortunately, not the one I currently go to, but I have several options just a few extra (5) minutes farther than my current one.
I'm going to go back and check, but I don't remember seeing this one on the list...
Old 03-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Vendor

I understand the desire for a gym with a vetting process, and think it's a good idea. However, the way the criteria is stated, “...thought leaders, creatives, founders or executives,” as opposed to "...those that look at a gym as a selfie opportunity, a place solely dedicated to performance-oriented training or a workout that needs to be done," seems narrow, reductive, and in many cases downright contradictory.

I'm just a humble toy store and bike shop owner, but the cycling side of my life often has me hanging out with aforementioned 'leaders, founders, or exectutives' who take home paychecks 20-100 times my own. Many of these people can't stop taking selfies and are obsessed with performance oriented training. Many (not all by any means, but many) also would have a difficult time forming a sentence that wasn't laced with profanity, misogyny, or lewdness. (Hey, just like so many 'regular Ohio-an widget makers' I know who attend normal gyms!)

Trying to filter out the stereotypical gym toxicity by profession/professional success/paycheck/college degree/social status is like trying to filter coffee with a basketball net.

In a nutshell, I like the idea of a gym that tries to filter out whatever their or their clients' idea of 'the wrong kind of people' is, but the filter criteria explained in the article is just stupid.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:33 AM

No thanks. Not a huge fan of gyms, especially an even more egotistical one. It's like the guy using the bench that does a set every 10 minutes. Sure, he's strong. And let's everyone in the gym know it by his screaming with every rep and walking around looking in every mirror in the place. "Hey, you done using the bench?" No!! "But you haven't done a set in 10 minutes." And then you get that acne backed, icy glare. I'll stick to my basement. It's douchebag free.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:38 AM

Even if i could afford something like this it’s the last place I’d set foot in. Brutal.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
No thanks. Not a huge fan of gyms, especially an even more egotistical one. It's like the guy using the bench that does a set every 10 minutes. Sure, he's strong. And let's everyone in the gym know it by his screaming with every rep and walking around looking in every mirror in the place. "Hey, you done using the bench?" No!! "But you haven't done a set in 10 minutes." And then you get that acne backed, icy glare. I'll stick to my basement. It's douchebag free.
Whoa. Planet Fitness is for you!
Old 03-25-2023, 12:19 PM

That form! My back hurts just looking at her.

Tim
Old 03-25-2023, 01:21 PM
Pack fill

Johnny's Gym

My version of a Man Cave, no monthly fees

IMG_2297 copy.jpg

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods