Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2023, 03:17 PM
Deconditioned!

While I sorta get it. I also sorta don't get it. "It" being the US going after Tik Tok.

What I'd like to know is if there is actually any real danger assuming that the Chinese govn't can see all the data. Is there any actual danger there? I thought the data with Tik Tok relates to location and individual preferences based on what they follow, etc.

Polemics aside, is there anything of substance here or is this yet another red pickled fish?

At least we have the Fed and FTC watching our backs on the important stuff.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:26 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Personally, other than for jingoistic reasons, I don't see a huge difference between Big Data and Big China having our data - neither one has your best interests at heart. Both want money and power, with slightly different emphases on what's more important to each.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:30 PM

*places tin foil hat on*... I feel like Facebook/Meta/Instagram must be a major backer of whats happening right now with TikTok... meanwhile Meta are doing the exact same thing that TikTok does... but they are probably making money selling the data to China and dont want that to stop.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
*places tin foil hat on*... I feel like Facebook/Meta/Instagram must be a major backer of whats happening right now with TikTok... meanwhile Meta are doing the exact same thing that TikTok does... but they are probably making money selling the data to China and dont want that to stop.
Yes. Moneyed interests are the only thing driving politics in the US any longer (IMO of course). And it's hard to tell just who is putting money into politics, and thus we don't know who wants what...
Old 03-24-2023, 04:20 PM

Not a tech expert, but if China wanted personal data on all the users, I imagine there are hackers who can give it to them from other sources. They don't need to use Tic Tok.

Lots of people make their living in the USA on Tic Tok.

I watched a good bit of the hearing. Our representatives are amazingly ignorant about tech.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:22 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I watched a good bit of the hearing. Our representatives are amazingly ignorant about tech.
In that case, some might argue that they're totally representative of the voters who elected them.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:32 PM

I have a reasonably large size following on tick tock about 30,000 at this point where I do videos for my guitar making business and it has generated business for me so I'm certainly hoping it doesn't go away.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:14 PM

i have never used TikTok so please pardon my ignorance.

Is there anything unique about TikTok, something that other video platforms don’t have? Is it simply the trendy site that caught on and built a dominant position that by being first?
Old 03-24-2023, 05:48 PM

is there a way to bet on this at draftkings or such

there is A LOT of $$$ tethered to tik tok, both on the retail side and big investment side, not to mention just the crazy number of people consuming stuff on that platform who seem addicted to it.

I'd bet good money it won't be banned.

This is just one of many things that are potential talking points and bargaining bits in our complex global relationship with China.

I bet in the not too distant future some things the USA is doing "against" china will relax, we will maintain our current level or even grow our imports from China, probably also increase exports to China, and in turn we won't see formal, direct lethal weapon support from China to putin.

The goal of both us and china will be to grow economies, and everything else significant will fall victim to that goal.

What Putin did/is destabilizing. I think China will help him in a limited way to string him along and make sure Russia is super weak and a mess when he is eventually ousted, then China can be the old friend and big shaper and investor in helping Russia such that is best helps China. China is better at long range vision than Putin could ever be, I think they will use their $ and influence wisely for there long term goals.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:49 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post

Is there anything unique about TikTok, something that other video platforms don’t have? Is it simply the trendy site that caught on and built a dominant position that by being first?
It's used mainly by kids. No offense to adults that actively use it on purpose.

I think the other platforms (IG and FB) have since copied them with the video stuff. Reels and shorts.

I too don't understand what the draw is aside from maybe not wanting to use what mommy and daddy use... Else, use IG.

Last edited by lavi; 03-24-2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:51 PM

As someone who has been in tech for a long time, I have only two concerns:

1. Facebook demonstrated pretty clearly that social media companies can and do manipulate our thinking and feeling. The "fixes/guardrails" that were offered were focused on PII (individual data) and didn't cover manipulating groups of people at all. This is the big risk, not someone (else) learning my birthday.

2. The TikTok EO promised that the Chinese communist party would not have access to the information. Yea, sure. That was a line that the Chinese communist party had him rehearse. If the communist party wants something, they get it.

This is bad, very bad.

I understand the free speech, open commerce issues. This is an existential threat to our society, from another country that would do almost anything to get the upper hand economically.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 03-24-2023 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:55 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
2. The TikTok EO promised that the Chinese communist party would not have access to the information. Yea, sure. That was a line that the Chinese communist party had him rehearse. If the communist party wants something, they get it.

This is bad, very bad.

I understand the free speech, open commerce issues. This is an existential threat to our society, from another country that would do almost anything to have their boot on our necks.
This is what I don't understand. What does it matter if China has this data? What exposure is there? Don't US data companies openly sell the same info anyhow? Please inform me of what the real issues are aside from China having access to what my daughter "likes" and where she may hang out with her friends.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I admit, I dont use many forms of social media, but I get the basic concepts - I literally have zero idea of what TikTok is though.
I’m with you on this…. I do use FB but mainly to stay in touch with family and friends. Tik Tok, Twitter, IG etc….. I have zero to maybe a vague idea about any of them. And frankly I feel my life is better because of that. PaceLine doesn’t count as Social Media right?

Last edited by climbgdh; 03-24-2023 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
It's used mainly by kids. No offense to adults that actively use it on purpose.

I think the other platforms (IG and FB) have since copied them with the video stuff. Reels and shorts.

I too don't understand what the draw is aside from maybe not wanting to use what mommy and daddy use... Else, use IG.
It depends on your definition of "kids", but the under 18 crowd compared to the over 18 crowd that uses tiktok...you may want to do a little research!
Old 03-24-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post

I don't think they were first. I believe there was something popular in short video format first that died and TT took over. It started off after they absorbed the company Musical.ly which was very similar and was all about short music videos and lip syncing silliness. You still see a lot of that on TT today.

At first there were 10 second videos and then they allowed up to 1 minute videos or longer if you reached a certain number of followers.

TT has surpassed all of the competition and is now the most popular social media app. So Elon and Zuck are just drooling at the idea that a bipartisan bunch of morons who don't even know what wifi is in Congress want to cancel TT.

The percentage of U.S.-based TikTok users by age: 10-19 – 32.5%, 20-29 – 29.5%, 30-39 – 16.4%, 40-49 – 13.9%, 50+ – 7.1%. This means that the TikTok userbase is aging up. So it's not 'just for kids.'

It has a very smart algorithm so if you start liking certain content and following people you will get fed more and more of it. If you want to follow silly dance crazes or TT challenges you can get tons of it. If you are like me your entire experience will be musicians, metal workers, potters, poets, magicians, comedians, wood workers and so on.

I have come across some absolutely astoundingly talented people from all over the world on this app. And as I mentioned it has generated business for me even though frankly that is not why I started using it.