Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you, will you or have you ridden ride road tubeless tires
Yes I ride road tubeless 129 40.82%
No I do not ride road tubeless 144 45.57%
In the future I plan to ride road tubeless 24 7.59%
In the past I rode road tubeless 33 10.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Tubeless makes sense on MTB where you want to run low pressure but makes no sense to me on the road with high pressure. I guess most here are saying that the benefit really is flat protection? Is the ride any better than tubed tires?
I really can’t tell that much of a difference in ride quality between the tubes and tubeless I ran. To be fair, in recent years I was mostly running Conti GP 4000 then GP 5000 with tubes (either lightweight butyl or latex). The Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik and Performance tires I’ve been running tubeless feel pretty similar on the road. I recall Vittoria Open Corsas with latex riding really nicely, but that was years ago, so I can’t say that my memory is accurate vis a vis more recent setups.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:28 AM

Question: on a hook beaded rim, is the max tire pressure greater with tubes vs. tubeless, or is the max pressure the same?
Old 02-08-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

I have only run tubeless Mtn. Bike tires in the past but I sell (currently) bikes for a living and would like to try TLR tires on my Bontrager Aeolus Pro3 wheels in 28mm. Common wisdom with many here and my in person peers is that 32 and bigger no problem but 28 and smaller no go. I wonder if this is now simply old thinking when looking at the new crop of tires and rims? I have said that for years along with so many others but maybe I'll change my tune. I know plenty who have been racing 28's for a few years now and will not go back to Tubulars.

I rarely get flats and ride plenty on road and light gravel on an Emonda with 28's so I am eager to see for myself how this all goes. Bontrager wheels have (if you choose) proprietary inserts and based on how many we have sold and how few people have had problems (aside from tight tire fit which may be a bonus running tubeless) none that I know of, I am more confident than ever. Thinking about Corsa Controls as I like them with tubes though still pondering that.

I like having first hand experience when suggesting and selling products at work.
I answered that I'm planning to in the poll. My actual answer is more like, at 28mm and up, I'll consider tubeless. The standards governing the interface between the rim and tire should make things settle down, so with future wheels, I'm expecting fewer compatibility problems like very tight tires.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:16 PM

<28 - latex tubes
28-32 - latex tubes or tubeless
32+ - tubeless
Old 02-09-2023, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Question: on a hook beaded rim, is the max tire pressure greater with tubes vs. tubeless, or is the max pressure the same?
I think it depends on the particular manufacturer of both the rim and tire. However, hooked max pressures should in most cases be much closer to standard clinchers than hookless. For example, I believe Hunt states max pressure of 110 clincher; 100 hooked tubeless; and 72.5 hookless.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I answered that I'm planning to in the poll. My actual answer is more like, at 28mm and up, I'll consider tubeless. The standards governing the interface between the rim and tire should make things settle down, so with future wheels, I'm expecting fewer compatibility problems like very tight tires.
I'm with ya.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:01 AM

I’m on tubeless 32mm Vittoria Corsa Next Tires on a hooked 21 internal rim. They ride so well and mounted with relative ease. Firmly in the road tubeless camp, and have ridden maybe 30-32mm tires this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2023, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

I find it interesting that 135 either not on road tubeless(110) or was and not now(25)...considering the ofttimes very 'passionate' responses about the 'value' of road tubeless. I would have thought it to be higher, using road tubeless. I think tubeless(same for disc brakes) have their place...rough, crappy, muddy, dirt....
But fat, low pressure tubeless tires on smooth ass-felt?...don't see it.

YMMV and IMHO and all that.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:29 AM

There's certainly a learning and frustration curve in setting up and using tubeless, but after having used them (on 2 road bikes and 1 mtb) for 5 years or so, I now find them a less work/maintenance/frustrating than tubes. The one caveat is that it took me a while to realize that you do have to change the rim tape, because it does crack, and those leaks tend to be unfixable on the road.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:39 AM

I try to avoid rim tape. Campy/Fulcrum has wheels that require no rim tape and BTLOS will make wheels without spoke access holes, if requested. My ZIPP 303s wheels require rim tape.

Last edited by Dave; 02-10-2023 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I try to avoid rim tape. Campy/Fulcrum has wheels that require no rim strips and BTLOS will make wheels without them, if requested.
I've gone this route with my last 2 new wheelsets. Have not yet had a broken spoke!! (Hard knock on wood).
Old 02-10-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
sealant stains everything, better clean it up quick don't leave it.
So does grease. Better not ride.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
So does grease. Better not ride.
Grease doesn't spray out and spatter the rider. And it certainly can't spatter other nearby riders.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Where's the poll option for:

"Who's been sprayed by road tubeless when riding in a group and hates them with a passion?"

I am glad I'm not alone!
Old 02-10-2023, 01:08 PM

Also have to add that I really resent how the default has become "tubeless ready tires" (especially in 25). Every pair I've used has been so, so much harder to mount to clincher wheels. To the point that I now seek out tires that are NOT tubeless compatible, which has been more limiting than it should be

Last edited by ssb94; 02-10-2023 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Typo