Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you, will you or have you ridden ride road tubeless tires
Yes I ride road tubeless 129 40.82%
No I do not ride road tubeless 144 45.57%
In the future I plan to ride road tubeless 24 7.59%
In the past I rode road tubeless 33 10.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2023, 11:46 AM

I’m tubeless on everything, but I don’t have any tires as skinny as 32mm. My “road” bike is wearing Specialized Roubaix 700x30/32”, but they measure 35mm wide.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:47 AM

Went road tubeless a little over a year ago, when I got a set of tubeless ready (hooked) wheels. I like them a lot. While the road feel might not quite be up there with latex tubes and a high thread count cotton tire — though that might be tire choice, in part — I’ve not had a flat in well over 5,000 miles since making the switch (knock on wood). I would say that previously, with tubes, I’d probably average a flat one every 5-600 miles or so overall (you know how it goes, you can go a couple of months without a flat, then get three in a week). I think my good luck with tubeless is due to the fact that most of the flats that I would get previously were not from major road hazards that would cause major sidewall cuts or tread failures, but from things like radial wire, small pieces or glass and thorns. I’ve found that tubeless, with sealant, is apparently very effective at preventing those types of flats.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:01 PM
Back At It!

once I get a bike to will allow 32mm or larger, I'm sure I will.. the biggest tire my non-MTB bikes will fit currently (that I ride as my Dad's Riv will fit 42s) is a 28mm.. I have been toying with the idea of adding sealant to the tubes in my 28s though..
Old 02-06-2023, 12:28 PM

I ride road tubeless now but can take it or leave it at this point. I recently switched back because I would constantly have to fight getting really slow leaks on on my tubes which got old after a while.

Tubeless is 100% necessary on an MTB but for me, not totally necessary on a road bike.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:29 PM

Used to but no longer.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:38 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I'm agnostic.

Have in the past, and contemplate setting up some 32mm tires tubeless, but I think of those as "all road" i.e.equally adept on smallish gravel, dirt and smooth single track, not primarily pavement tires. I have some IRC 25s that measure out at 28 set up tubeless right now but they've been hanging on hooks for 6 months so will need to be redone.

I have too many bikes and too many wheels in rotation to want to deal with a bunch of tubeless tires - both initial setup and ensuring that sealant is still good with regular riding. On my roads I don't flat much nor do I discern a significantly better ride on 25-28s with tubeless than with high quality clinchers and of course, tubulars.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:31 PM

28c Conti GP5000 Tubeless

I will never go back to tubes. I carry a Tubolito as a spare just in case, but I’ve only once had a puncture that sealant wouldn’t fix. I inflate to 80lbs, and the tires feel as good as any tubulars I’ve ever used.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:38 PM

No on my bikes with 32mm and under tires (all rim brake) and only the Firefly has tubeless approved rims on the wheelset. Flats where I ride are very rare.

Yes on 650Bx38 or 42 disc wheels which see mostly paved road service with some dirt roads.

Yes for years on MTB.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:05 PM

I mean do what you gotta do, but please don't fun tubeless above 60PSI. Might not bother you that your sealant is flying all over the place, but I don't want that s*** in my face
Old 02-06-2023, 03:18 PM

Don't you know that's just step 1 of making a gap and getting away??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssb94 View Post
I mean do what you gotta do, but please don't fun tubeless above 60PSI. Might not bother you that your sealant is flying all over the place, but I don't want that s*** in my face
Old 02-06-2023, 03:23 PM

For me, it all comes to PSI. I have had tubeless success running 32 mm road tires on my gravel bike at around 65PSI. Road tires on my road bike at 85 PSI did not seal until much lower PSI. I feel like road tubeless is fine at wider tires with lower pressure but probably not worth the hassle at 25-28mm tires.

Robby
Old 02-06-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuberneter View Post
Don't you know that's just step 1 of making a gap and getting away??
Next person to squirt sealant in my face is getting left behind, idc how far we are from home
Old 02-06-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris(nj) View Post
used to but no longer.
Same
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsibis View Post
for me, it all comes to psi. I have had tubeless success running 32 mm road tires on my gravel bike at around 65psi. Road tires on my road bike at 85 psi did not seal until much lower psi. I feel like road tubeless is fine at wider tires with lower pressure but probably not worth the hassle at 25-28mm tires.
Again, same.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have only run tubeless Mtn. Bike tires in the past but I sell (currently) bikes for a living and would like to try TLR tires on my Bontrager Aeolus Pro3 wheels in 28mm. Common wisdom with many here and my in person peers is that 32 and bigger no problem but 28 and smaller no go. I wonder if this is now simply old thinking when looking at the new crop of tires and rims? I have said that for years along with so many others but maybe I'll change my tune. I know plenty who have been racing 28's for a few years now and will not go back to Tubulars.

I rarely get flats and ride plenty on road and light gravel on an Emonda with 28's so I am eager to see for myself how this all goes. Bontrager wheels have (if you choose) proprietary inserts and based on how many we have sold and how few people have had problems (aside from tight tire fit which may be a bonus running tubeless) none that I know of, I am more confident than ever. Thinking about Corsa Controls as I like them with tubes though still pondering that.

I like having first hand experience when suggesting and selling products at work.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:45 PM

Yep, my Ritchey Disc Logic being the first for me thought. Ive been running MTB forever, and Gravel / CX for just as long unless tubulars.

Im not totally sold yet but Im set up for TL and pretty used to the process so it was simple enough to switch.