Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 01:21 PM

Ok, here's the membership rates in Miami. Crazy, but not THAT crazy. You can get it down to $96/mo if you commit.

https://ghostgymmiami.com/
Old 03-25-2023, 01:35 PM
slower than you

Paging Groucho Marx.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:11 PM
slower than you

I was once looking for gyms in Westchester before my membership ran out at the more, er, plebeian gym I belonged to. Just curious. I saw three or four gyms that were three to four times more expensive than the one I belonged to, but, really, it was pretty much the same thing. It was a gym, clean, same equipment, maybe a little more spacious. Then it dawned on me. The whole point is appealing to people who don't want to be next to the trash that frequented my gym and Jack LaLane. You were paying for a better crowd.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:09 PM

It seems like the people most interested in these types of gyms are looking for a club/hangout/country club as opposed to just a place to work out. For just working out, the 24 Hour Fitness is fine since cycling is my social life as opposed to the gym. Still, an expensive gym membership would be less than what I spend on cycling (since I'm a multiple bike guy) and not as satisfying.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:13 PM

Kinda like the RCC idea but for Gym goers..
Old 03-26-2023, 12:15 AM

Why not?

Cyclists and “I.V. Therapy”...what could go wrong….or right?

“At the top tier, members receive unlimited personal training and physical therapy, I.V. therapy, access to their physicians, ice baths, group fitness classes and saunas.“

Hard pass, I’ll just keep Racing Cat 6
Old 03-26-2023, 06:39 AM

How about this one: https://dnyuz.com/2023/03/25/think-g...or-these-gyms/

Memberships range from $595 to $2,750 per month and offer everything from cryotherapy, I.V. drips, a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, a lymphatic compression suit, meditation classes, sound baths and more.

“We’re looking for people who are a good representation of the brand, and they should inspire others to take care of themselves,” said Dr. Jonathan Leary, the founder and chief executive, who also described the average member as a young professional in their 30s. Remedy capped memberships at 200 in Los Angeles and 300 in New York, but Dr. Leary declined to say what percentage of people who applied were accepted or provide the number of people currently on its wait list.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:08 AM

I’m sure it’s geared toward the people who are looking to refocus their energies after getting their kid into the right pre-school.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
People will be clamoring to get in. This is just a marketing ploy.
Yup, this elitist attitude is everywhere. Vote with your dollars unless you identify with the beanbags that are members of this place. Then you will feel right at home...

I rode with a cycling 'club' in San Diego like this..one ride and that was enough. The 'sneering' was almost audible.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I rode with a cycling 'club' in San Diego like this..one ride and that was enough. The 'sneering' was almost audible.
Tell us more; it sounds like a good story!

One wonders what more offends members of such exclusive gyms; the personality divide between the bodybuilder/powerlifter types and everybody else downstream, or the physical difference, including all the sweat and hard work.

It would seem to be another form of discrimination or racism, or is it a class distinction between the uppers and the lowers? The upper class doesn't strike me as associated with those that go to the gym to inflict some real pain on themselves.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:17 AM

hilarious.

but then again, so are $15k carbon bikes and guys stuffing their skinny or fat asses in lycra and thinking themselves cool....
Old 03-26-2023, 11:53 AM

After reading through this thread ... I want to hire their P.R. agent.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:19 PM

As a former gym rat, I quite like the idea of filtering applicants. Personally I'd filter out those who take up the squat rack to do banded kickbacks/bicep curls so they can take mirror selfies showing off their a** or arms, or who brush past you to get a plate when you're trying to bench press. I don't care what you earn or do for a living provided you have decent gym etiquette, will let people work in and wipe down equipment. As an aside, the juicers were actually usually pretty good in those regards.

The marketing ploy is exclusivity and being part of a perceived elite. It's trying to make something relatively commonplace a Veblen good.

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods