Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 06:51 PM

Been using Cuisinart $49.99 on sale at COSTCO but now I'm curious about the Technivorm. I'm reading it does NOT have a timer, almost a dealbreaker for me as I like to have my coffee "ready" when I wake up.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:08 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klasse View Post
Been using Cuisinart $49.99 on sale at COSTCO but now I'm curious about the Technivorm. I'm reading it does NOT have a timer, almost a dealbreaker for me as I like to have my coffee "ready" when I wake up.
I thought that as well, but actually enjoy the minimal time it takes for the process in the morning.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:19 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Press the button, go to the bathroom, coffee is ready.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:44 PM

I didn't see it mentioned here, but I ended up going with an OXO Barista Brain when I was considering a Moccamaster about four years ago. Still have it and still really enjoy it.

The main benefit with the OXO for me is size - it has a smaller foot print than the Technivorm which was a big plus when we lived in a much smaller house. Even still, in our current house with its much larger kitchen I find that not taking up a ton of counter space is helpful and the OXO gives us space to have a nice burr grinder on the counter next to it.

One downside has been cleaning. OXO has good plastic and silicon parts that can be removed to be thrown in the dishwasher. The carafe is easy enough to clean (and it keeps coffee pretty warm for 2-3 hours). And the basket is easy to clean and dishwasher safe. The water chamber can get foggy, but I hear this is a challenge with the Technivorm too. Either device, a regular descaling and a wipe down of the chambers help keep it in good condition with minimal scale build up.

If I were in the market again, I'd likely look at the Technivorm. I'd like to try something different, but the OXO still feels like a good choice and good value for me.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
As I think one other post mentioned, adding a cheap smart plug provides timer and Wi-Fi control if you want it. Replaced our Chemex with a Moccamaster a year ago and love it.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:15 PM

If you are planning on spending a bit more on a higher end drip machine I would suggest getting a grinder as well. This is sort of a basic entry level burr grinder that would be fine for drip coffee. https://clivecoffee.com/products/bar...r?ref=grinders
Old 07-11-2023, 01:47 PM

For those who are looking for one, Prime day has the 53941 for $240.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:33 PM

+1 for the moccamaster.

for the price, the quality is unbeatable. my shops use one for brewing speciality origins or limited coffees; fresh offerings to contrast to bigger batch brews. i work for a small specialty roaster, so yes Ive tried/tested a LOT of different stuff. more importantly, have fun cuz there isnt really a right answer to most things. There are a lot of great options out there, some more techy than others.

adding that yes, grinders might be the most important tool to invest money into for drip as well as the obv espresso. Poor quality burrs make fines, ie wider distribution of particle sizes and will yield similarly poor results. after that, a good scale & h20 content make a difference.

Last edited by AJosiahK; 07-11-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:12 PM

We have one. Love it. Going on 6-7 years with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierteTi52 View Post
I didn't want to post this in the "what's on your coffee table thread" as I'm not looking for an espresso machine. My current Kitchen Aid drip coffee maker died and I'm looking for something to replace it with and have no problem spending the money for something nicer. For now, I have been using my french press and it's been enjoyable, but not the solution long term as I drink 2 - 16oz travel mugs a day, and so does my wife. We enjoy decent coffee, don't go to Starbucks or Tim Hortons, and use pre ground Sumatra coffee from Aldi at home. I do own a basic grinder, although I don't want to make morning coffee a science project. I started looking for a replacement coffee machine and learned about Technivorm Moccamaster and I'm impressed with the product and quality. It reminds me of a handmade bike frame. I really want something nicer than a $99.00 coffee maker from Kohls. Lol! Will I enjoy the pour over design, steady brewing temp benefits of the Technivorm without making this a morning science project, or is this an overkill purchase? I still enjoy riding my Kirk although I'm old and slow. Any thoughts or suggestions for other decent coffee makers, or confirmation I will truly taste the difference with the Technivorm would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-12-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3675 View Post
Amazon has the Technivorm Moccamaster 49520 KM5 Burr Coffee Grinder Polished Silver on sale for 226.00. White is also available. I bought when they first came out and love it. Well worth the price over 100.00 off.

Last edited by FierteTi52; 07-12-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierteTi52 View Post
Amazon has the Technivorm Moccamaster 49520 KM5 Burr Coffee Grinder Polished Silver on sale for 226.00. White is also available. I bought when they first came out and love it. Well worth the price over 100.00 off.
Here's a picture of my setup! It's been a fun adventure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1_50.jpg (124.3 KB, 138 views)
Old 07-12-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3675 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Grabbed the brushed brass, my preferred colorway, for not much more.

Last edited by Pumablk; 07-12-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbsr02 View Post
Also love the screw in top that keeps coffee hot for a long time (ie evening pot that someone drinks one cup from - cap it and good to go for tomorrow am). Highly recommend!
The only problem with the screw-in top is that I have rinsed out the carafe and mistakenly replaced the screw-in top instead of the brew top. When the coffee brews, the coffee has nowhere to go and spills all over everything. I have done this twice.
Also, the Techivorm has no clock, so you have to physically turn it on. I would love to have a timer that starts the brewing automatically in the morning.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Bear View Post
The only problem with the screw-in top is that I have rinsed out the carafe and mistakenly replaced the screw-in top instead of the brew top. When the coffee brews, the coffee has nowhere to go and spills all over everything. I have done this twice.
Also, the Techivorm has no clock, so you have to physically turn it on. I would love to have a timer that starts the brewing automatically in the morning.

You could get a smart outlet and program it to turn on at some set time or on some condition.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:27 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Bear View Post
I thought that would be an issue for me as well as I was getting up at 0440 for my commute.. what I did was get everything ready the night before and just come downstairs when I got up and flipped the switch, went back up and got dressed.. it has a very quick brew cycle, so was certainly done when I was ready to pour my cup.. or you can get the outlet thing mentioned above.. really, it's a non-started IMHO..