Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 09:35 AM

Recommend some 650b commuter tires

Need no bigger than 1.75/42. Currently running Panaracer GravelKings and getting about a billion little holes from all the early spring glass and sharp bits in the Boston roads. So much sealant keeping these tires together at this point. What have y'all liked for durability and grip (city commuting mostly).

Last edited by polyhistoric; 03-25-2023 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2023, 09:51 AM

It's a shame you can't fit 48mm tires. Those WTB Horizon 47mm slick tires are utterly bomb-proof. I feel like I've rolled them over miles of winter debris (glass, wire, screws, etc.) with nary a flat.

Your experience with Gravel Kings matches mine, by the way - they are absurdly fragile.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhistoric View Post
Need no bigger than 1.75/42. Currently running Panaracer GravelKings and getting about a billion little holes from all the early spring glass and sharp bits in the Boston roads. So much sealant keeping these tires together at this point. What have y'all liked for durability and grip (city commuting mostly).
PM me - I have a pair of Panaracer T Serv Protite that will be just what you’re seeking
DUH - sorry, they are 26 not 650b. Very rugged if they come in 650b

Last edited by NHAero; 03-25-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
PM me - I have a pair of Panaracer T Serv Protite that will be just what you’re seeking
These are what I use for my commute, south of Boston (in the 700c flavor). Fairly supple for the durability. I use tubes on the commuter, so I have Mr. Tuffys in there as well.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:42 AM

For commuting, GravelKing SK > regular GKs by a long way. That short knob height is just enough to keep the fine debris at bay. They shed water and dirt like a champ too.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I just sold a set of Panaracer t-Servs in 650 x 42 to Weisan. They are an awesome commuter tire. They were hard to find though.
I would also recommend the Maxxis Overdrive or Donnely Stradas if you can find them. I also believe you can get a Schwalbe Marathon in 650x41. Very bombproof albeit heavy.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:37 PM
Bike Guy

Schwalbe Marathon. One of the many in their range whether you want some off road tread or mostly smooth road tread. It’s all I commute on because the last thing I want to deal with on a commute is a flat. And these are designed to be as near as flat proof as possible. Of course they ride like bricks, but just think that it is making you faster for your non commuting bike rides!

Of course I also have a set of brand new Rivendell Fatty Rumpkin in 650x42 which I would sell for a great deal. Can’t ship them until I’m back in the US in mid May.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:38 PM
n - 1

You said durability and grip. Nothing about ride quality or weight.

My go-to has been Marathon Plus. I’ve never had a flat on those. They come in 650b x 40.

Few weeks ago, I got a pair of Continental Top Contact which seems to be just as robust as well. But they don’t come in 650b. But Contact Plus does and could be another option.

Honestly, with my porky commuter frame, I can’t tell much difference between these 1kg garden hose tires vs lighter options. I just know if my fingers are cold by the end of the commute, it’s not from changing tubes.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:00 PM

Marathon plus > any other tire for city riding. The only Gravelking tires I'd consider are the + models, and even then they are a bit thin in the tread.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:33 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Of course I also have a set of brand new Rivendell Fatty Rumpkin in 650x42 which I would sell for a great deal. Can’t ship them until I’m back in the US in mid May.
I might be interested in the Fatty's..
Old 03-25-2023, 06:28 PM

Thanks all - the additional considerations are tan wall and tubeless. Looks like the Donnelly Strada's fit the bill! I've good luck with other of their tires so will give them a go! Thanks Paceline braintrust.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:05 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsawyer23 View Post
I just sold a set of Panaracer t-Servs in 650 x 42 to Weisan. They are an awesome commuter tire. They were hard to find though.
Yes indeed. I can testify to their durability. I rode them on my gravel rides - rocks, sand, mud, you name it.....ZERO issues. Highly recommend.