Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
^^^ so Jon in your case a combo of delayed gastric emptying/progress through the GI system and bloating--I get that that could impact ease of diaphragm for breathing but it also caused compression of something that your brain interpreted as clavicle-into-arm pain. That is pretty interesting, similar to how the ischemia in a heart attack is misinterpreted as left arm pain in many cases

yours also improved with activity? I wonder if that simulated gut motility to help resolve the pressure effect. fascinating.

I hope this helps the OP
More cycling it didn’t necessarily go away. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The gastro surmised that if I was running so that there was a physical motion like running would cause it would improve but that cycling isn’t enough “jostling around” so to speak.

BUT, it did improve as time went by after drinking water while cycling. It was wicked painful a minute or two after I drank but would subside with time.

AND, another important thing…think about what we eat while riding…either fresh like say dates/ bananas/ apples or packaged like bars or gel…they ALL have stuff in them that are fructose/glucose/etc…and my issues are related to any food I put in my body that ends in -ose or -ol (for simplicity-sake). (And yes, I love cocktails but no more because of this which is the one real bummer)

So, perhaps increased time/physical effort made it get better…that also made me then consume something that made it worse so I sorta messed up the making it go away.

I do hope this is helpful somehow.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:27 PM

I'm not a doctor so I won't play one and attempt a diagnosis.

If it were me, I'd be asking for an echo as a starting point. It's non-invasive and can rule out the small chance this is something to be seriously worried about.

Assuming that came back normal, which I would expect, then depending on my insurance I'd see a very good physio or sports doctor and possibly get some nerve conduction studies done (a word of warning from experience: they are not pleasant).
Old 03-28-2023, 10:41 AM

Thanks everyone, this has been absolutely fascinating to read. The glucose issue is really interesting and depressing at the same time. I'm just coming off of a bout with kidney stones and the list of foods that they want me to avoid is extensive, and combining the list of "-cose" and "-ol" foods leaves me with water and lettuce, so that's fun.

I wouldn't call the breathing issues with these episodes happen a traditional shortness of breath, more like a huffing for air on a steep climb kinda stress. It goes away once my heart rate comes back down, like any cycling exertion. I can deal with that, it's the sharp line of pain under my right arm that is intensely frustrating.

I'm wondering if the width of the handlebars has anything to do with it. I might try a different bike this evening and see if it's the same paint. Worth a shot.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:27 AM

Just thought I would update the issues that I have been dealing with since last winter. I ended up going through a few doctor visits that all ended with the doctors shrugging their shoulders with my tests coming back fine.

I started doing my own research into potential problems focusing on nerve issues, when I came across a physical therapist's video showing how to do stretches and movements to alleviate pain in median, ulnar and carpal nerves in the arm.

Once I realized that my issues were very much ulnar nerve problems, I focussed on those movements called nerve flossing or glides. They help relive tension or abrasions in and around major arm nerves. I found that a few minutes of flossing through these stretches removed almost all of the pain completely. When I do have issues walking or cycling now, a couple of flexes of my right arm into these flossing positions clears up anything I find uncomfortable.

Over the last couple of months, the pain in my arm, fingers and through my clavicle have almost vanished completely. On rare occasions something might flare up, but for the most part, these nerve glides have been a game-changer for me. I can be in drop bars, wide or narrow mountain bike bars or any had position and not suffer from the stingers I was getting in my right arm. No idea what caused these issues in the first place, but I sure am glad I found some type of relief. Now, I need to get the rest of my chassis into better shape.

Here's an example of an ulnar nerve floss:

https://youtu.be/ieH5q3gt3yo
Old 08-09-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpurite View Post
Just thought I would update the issues that I have been dealing with since last winter. I ended up going through a few doctor visits that all ended with the doctors shrugging their shoulders with my tests coming back fine.

I started doing my own research into potential problems focusing on nerve issues, when I came across a physical therapist's video showing how to do stretches and movements to alleviate pain in median, ulnar and carpal nerves in the arm.

Once I realized that my issues were very much ulnar nerve problems, I focussed on those movements called nerve flossing or glides. They help relive tension or abrasions in and around major arm nerves. I found that a few minutes of flossing through these stretches removed almost all of the pain completely. When I do have issues walking or cycling now, a couple of flexes of my right arm into these flossing positions clears up anything I find uncomfortable.

Over the last couple of months, the pain in my arm, fingers and through my clavicle have almost vanished completely. On rare occasions something might flare up, but for the most part, these nerve glides have been a game-changer for me. I can be in drop bars, wide or narrow mountain bike bars or any had position and not suffer from the stingers I was getting in my right arm. No idea what caused these issues in the first place, but I sure am glad I found some type of relief. Now, I need to get the rest of my chassis into better shape.

Here's an example of an ulnar nerve floss:

https://youtu.be/ieH5q3gt3yo
I'm dealing with the same thing.. mine's cervical stenosis impacting the nerve channels combined with muscle tightness and some odd structural things in my how my clavicals sit on my upper chest relative to my brachial complex - essentially, there's not a lot of room - and any amount of irritating nerves or overly stressing/tightening muscles sets off a cascade of issues.. Currently it's a lot of nerve pain and a constantly-numb thumb on my left hand. It's causing me to reassess what I can handle on the bike from a position perspective, as well as equipment and riding style. As they say - getting old sucks, but it sure beats the alternative. Thanks for sharing the resource above also. Rehab, rest, strengthening, and awareness/prevention are the keys to success here.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:13 PM

Glad you’re feeling better. Definitely sounds like a nerve impingement and if it only occurred on one bike/position may have been from a cervical impingement.
Old 08-10-2023, 02:08 PM

Damn.. I wish I'd read your thread last winter.

I've been doing those flossing exercises for years after hurting my ulnar nerve.

Still just reading the thread I'm not sure I'd have thought of it.

Glad you're feeling better.