Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 07-18-2017, 02:26 PM

Hot Feet

Hello There,

yesterday I had an experience that is new to me. Been riding/racing for the past 30 years and yesterday I got my first case of hot feet. I ride an Al bike (stiff) and ride specialized shoes (stiffer), the super light ones with boa dials. The ride was hot, 165kms, and the last 40km were terrible. Physically I was fine, my set up is dialed in and I have no discomfort or pain riding. But the feet thing was news to me. Anyone knows the cause or how to address it?

thanks,

G
Old 07-18-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammer View Post
Hello There,

yesterday I had an experience that is new to me. Been riding/racing for the past 30 years and yesterday I got my first case of hot feet. I ride an Al bike (stiff) and ride specialized shoes (stiffer), the super light ones with boa dials. The ride was hot, 165kms, and the last 40km were terrible. Physically I was fine, my set up is dialed in and I have no discomfort or pain riding. But the feet thing was news to me. Anyone knows the cause or how to address it?

thanks,

G
What do you mean by “hot feet”? Were you feeling “pins and needles” or burning pain in your forefeet, or were your feet warm as in temperature? The former can be caused by pressure on your nerves, for instance if your shoes are too narrow or overly tight (metatarsaglia).

How hot was it outside?
Old 07-19-2017, 01:39 AM
Will of the Sun

ghammer get rid of the plastic shoes that don't breathe. Slip into some Birkenstocks or ride in flip flops. At the least, put on some regular shoes and flat pedals. Hot feet no more.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:26 PM

Been rocking the Shimano clipless SPD sandals on hot days, here. Not ultra stiff like carbon soles, but not so bad.

They're dorky as all hell, but very comfortable in the heat.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Hot Feet

New shoes? Too tight is a good part of the problem. Your feet swell when it gets hot. Loosen them, thinner socks, new shoes that have more room in the forefoot. An orthotic insole may help as well, if you have room for it.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:04 PM

Sunscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
Been rocking the Shimano clipless SPD sandals on hot days, here. Not ultra stiff like carbon soles, but not so bad.

They're dorky as all hell, but very comfortable in the heat.
Don't forget sunscreen on those toes! My bro-in-law won't wear anything else, but he recently went out on a long hot sunny day ride (hadn't been out in a long time) and burned the top of his feet something fierce.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 PM

You get those symptoms in hot weather for the same reason you get cold problems when riding in cold weather: you have a point (or more) where you're compressing the foot a bit in the shoe and limiting circulation. In the summer your foot will tend to swell and you can have this problem even more than in the summer. Go to a thinner sock to buy a little room, or take out an insole or insole liner if you have one, and see if it helps at all. Then you know you've solved the problem. Other things can cause it, but this is what your conditions would indicate.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:52 AM

You didn't mention if anything recently changed. I just got some new shoes and unfortunately I think they're to narrow. My feet were on fire at mile 75.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2017, 11:29 PM

it happened in one or both feet?

Well could be a case of "im getting older and body starts changing".

At least you can ride those distances, I can't do more than 3 hours w/o having a hot spot in one foot. Lose the shoes when you start with the problem, the other thing that helps is just unclip for 15 to 30 seconds. But if you are old well...
Old 07-24-2017, 09:06 AM

****FOLLOW-UP****

Thanks for the input folks. I took a significant break, and resumed easily, with short km rides. I figured that the culprit was the insole (superfeet). Its purpose of good fit became a torture device and if the temperature went over 30C, I was almost guaranteed hot spots in one way or another. I put in a no-name flat insole and the issue disappeared. watch your insole, folks. multi shapes in them, coupled with super stiff shoes can do a number on your feet.