Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 PM

School me on Lightweights...

After years of being a retrogrouch and an alloy snob, I'm debating saving my pennies and dipping my toe into the carbon wheel waters. And the consensus seems to be Lightweights are far and away the best.

So, Lightweight owners...for a heavier guy (fluctuating between 190-200, with goals closer to 175-180), am I insane for wanting carbon tubes in a hillier area? I'm not crazy enough to want carbon clinchers, especially in this terrain.

Are the standard Milenstein's the way to go? Or whatever the other climbing wheel is the impenetrable name...Gripfleafjefa,mnsfalfkj.

And glowing glossy bike mag reviews aside, what are these things like to live with on a daily basis? Brake noise? Wheel maintenance? Warranty issues? Etc etc. I'd be paring back the wheel collection as part of getting a set, so they'd need to be something I could use more than just for the rare Sunday ride to grandma's house. Oh, and I'm learning East Bay roads are crap. So are they tough as they say?

What say you?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:55 PM

I have a set of carbon wheels and won't use them just for riding around since it's so hilly. The pads wear stupid fast, the braking sucks and the benefit is so small it's not worth dealing with. I'd consider a set with aluminum brake tracks but right now I just use regular wheels for group rides and solo rides.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
After years of being a retrogrouch and an alloy snob, I'm debating saving my pennies and dipping my toe into the carbon wheel waters. And the consensus seems to be Lightweights are far and away the best.

So, Lightweight owners...for a heavier guy (fluctuating between 190-200, with goals closer to 175-180), am I insane for wanting carbon tubes in a hillier area? I'm not crazy enough to want carbon clinchers, especially in this terrain.

Are the standard Milenstein's the way to go? Or whatever the other climbing wheel is the impenetrable name...Gripfleafjefa,mnsfalfkj.

And glowing glossy bike mag reviews aside, what are these things like to live with on a daily basis? Brake noise? Wheel maintenance? Warranty issues? Etc etc. I'd be paring back the wheel collection as part of getting a set, so they'd need to be something I could use more than just for the rare Sunday ride to grandma's house. Oh, and I'm learning East Bay roads are crap. So are they tough as they say?

What say you?

No comments on the wheels themselves.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wheels not being able to handle the east bay roads.

East Bay roads are not that bad and I'm sure any decent wheel can handle them. The maintenance issues and braking performance is more what I would focus on.

SF roads on the other hand,
Old 09-03-2014, 07:07 AM

I have been riding LW for three years. Get a pair you will never regret it. Stiff and strong. Clearly the best out there if you have the $. Enjoy
Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 AM

I ride only carbon wheels, although they are not Lightweight. Braking performance is good to excellent in all conditions. Brake blocks could last two seasons but I change them every season anyway. There is no reason to accept poor braking performance and longevity. It's all about getting the right combination.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:28 AM

Best is relative. They are very light and stiff, very good for climbing. But braking is average and carbon spokes cannot be repaired....

Overall I prefer my Bora that have better hubs, steel spokes and better braking performance. They also maintain speed better.

LW also make almost any bike look good Did I mention expensive ?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 AM

Never had a set of LWs.

Seems like that's dipping more than a toe in the carbon waters. Unless you've got really big toes.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:13 AM

they look neat and don't weigh that much.

I've ridden two models, i forget what they were. the climbing version and 40ish mm version. i'd be pissed if i used my own $ on them.

i'd buy three pairs of something else in various depths instead.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:38 AM

Lightweights are to bling and expensive for me but I do have carbon wheels. I use the yellow Swiss Stop pads and rotate between carbon and AL regularly and have no issues at all with braking. It's worse with carbon when it's wet out but still it's not much of a problem and I have plenty of miles on those pads. And yeah if you are going to buy wheels that cost a down payment on a house definitely get tubulars
Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 AM

School me on Lightweights...

Hey Flash, I've had a couple of sets over the years and eventually sell them because I tire of tubular tire worry fatigue. But that's a different issue. LWs are beautiful wheels and ride nicely. They are light and accelerate really well due their stiffness. Slap some nice 25 tires on them and I don't think you'd have to worry about durability. If you're worried about your weight stay away from the 12 spoke front rim and go with 16 or even 20 with very little weight penalty. As for not being able to true them, I've not read about anyone needing a repair due to normal riding - only due to a crash. There's a crash replacement warranty you can buy which I'd get too. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:24 AM

I own both LW's and Bora's

If you are a campy guy, go Bora. Lionel nailed the differences. I will confirm them. The LW's are beautiful, they are extremely well made. However, i get really worried about riding them in all conditions. They dont brake nearly as well as the new bora's, and you are talking about a 100 gram diffence in overall weight.

Again, if you are running campy, save yourself $1,000 and buy the 2015 boras

Stephen
Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 AM

I've seen LWs on a cx pit bike just saying
Old 09-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
I've seen LWs on a cx pit bike just saying
I agree. I think they are really well built...but if you break a spoke, you are down at least 2k without the warranty.

Warm regards,

Stephen
Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 PM

LWs are Aight but Too Spensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Would you use an Aston Martin as your sole car and daily driver if you had to finance it and live in an apartment?

One of my pals owns 3 sets of nice carbon wheels, Lightweights Gen 3 (tubular), Bora Ultra 2 (tubular) and Hyperon Ultra 2 (clincher). He popped a spoke on his rear Hyperon during our ride Sunday; hardly flinched. The cat only has time to ride on weekends, doesn't race so he's got enough super spensive wheelsets to keep riding until the Hyperons are repaired/warrantied.

Forgot to add...between the LWs and Boras, my buddy would choose the Lightweights every day til Sunday (Boras are the beater set). He actually has two LWs cos he, um, got a deal and great warranty service at Pista Palace.

http://www.pistapalace.com/

Had to ride the Boras cos new tires were glued to the LWs:

Last edited by beeatnik; 09-03-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Would you use an Aston Martin as your sole car and daily driver if you had to finance it and live in an apartment?

One of my pals owns 3 sets of nice carbon wheels, Lightweights Gen 3 (tubular), Bora Ultra 2 (tubular) and Hyperon Ultra 2 (clincher). He popped a spoke on his rear Hyperon during our ride Sunday; hardly flinched. The cat only has time to ride on weekends, doesn't race so he's got enough super spensive wheelsets to keep riding until the Hyperons are repaired/warrantied.
To be clear, these wouldn't be my only wheels. But when I'm sitting on 4 sets of wheels for two bikes currently, I can shed a few, put a carbon pair into the rotation and not be hurting all that much.