Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2024, 06:08 PM

Thank you. Great to know. Silca ti cages have a long slot allowing one to move the cage up and down more than you can a typical cage, but I'll take a look at King's offerings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Funny you should mention bottle bosses. I also want them as low as possible because of knock knees and flabby calves. On my travel bike, I positioned them perfectly, or so I thought. And then realized that S&S couplers are actually rather thick, so now I modified a king cage to raise the bottle 1/2"

King cage makes riser cages, and lowering cages. And the Wolftooth morse cage has multiple options. It's a pretty common issue

Last edited by Waldo62; 03-18-2024 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:08 PM

I hope the OP reports back with their repaired frame so we can hear how things went.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:40 PM

Details matter.

I once sent a custom frame back because the rear tire clearance was materially out of spec. The builder agreed it was not right and promptly fixed it.
I sent another back for revision because the fender eyelets were missing.

There are some details I would let slide, but tire clearance isn't one of them.

Instagram
Old 03-15-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
Road quality is, ahem, mixed. Generally the roads in the UK are pretty poor, especially rural ones, and they have noticeably declined in the last decade.
I've spent some time in Scotland, not quite the same as England, but road quality is similar. But, loads of gravel, farm track, and trails, so a burly gravel bike, mostercross, or fast hardtail would make a nice do-it-all.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:59 AM
Vendor

I'd take option #2. Get what you originally wanted. On option #3, my concern is that the builder - especially someone starting out - may not know how far a tube can be crimped and manipulated. The bike might be fine for the first few thousand miles, but then develop cracks afterwards. On option #1, I'd probably forget about the discount over the years, but it'd forever bug me knowing I didn't get what I originally wanted and I'd get a sharp reminder of that anytime I went to put in a 32.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I've spent some time in Scotland, not quite the same as England, but road quality is similar. But, loads of gravel, farm track, and trails, so a burly gravel bike, mostercross, or fast hardtail would make a nice do-it-all.
And from my experience last fall in Wales and the Peak District - don't forget the sheep crap on the trails and roads. Loads of crap. And when it rains...just be sure your bike has, er, mudguards.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:03 AM

I'd opt for option #2 if you trust him.

If you take option #1 you'll always hate the frame because it isn't what you ordered.
If you take option #3 you won't get enough gained clearance and might compromise the tubing too.

The builder is being fair. Things happen. He has offered to make you the frame you ordered with a small delay. I wouldn't expect a discount. I would expect return shipping covered but not a dealbreaker. Do you trust him? Do you know where he is located? I just mention this because some builders disappear especially if they're pressed against a wall. I heard a recent story about a paid Gaulzetti frame that was returned for the wrong paint color and it just disappeared along with the builder (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...2&postcount=17)

Even if he squishes the current rear end to give you 2 more mm that overall isn't enough and might compromise the tubing. I think you should aim for 5-6 mm of clearance with the max tire desired "as measured" i.e. a tire that actually measures 32 mm (be that a 700x30 measuring wide or a 700x33 measuring narrow or whatnot).

Last edited by Pegoready; 03-15-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:14 PM

Oh boy what a downer

Personally I’d say with races coming up just race the hell out of it if you’re happy with race day clearance and worry about guards etc over a pint ,if you go for a partial re-build get some advice [not off your builder]about how happy XCR is about being reheated and /or crimped again .As a fellow Brit I’am happy to give him a huge shout out for doing the Whitton ,this event and the Dragon Ride in Wales [still run ?] are the original two hardest UK sportives just huge distance non stop up and down on some of hardest passes the country has ,every other ‘hard’ sportive here is trying to copy them ,he’ll know about the sheep if they’re not on the road they’re the folk watching
Old 03-15-2024, 02:55 PM

What can the front fork handle?
Old 03-15-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
What can the front fork handle?
32 - it's a Whiskey.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm in the Chiltern Hills, about 40 miles NW of London: https://www.chilterns.org.uk/

Road quality is, ahem, mixed. Generally the roads in the UK are pretty poor, especially rural ones, and they have noticeably declined in the last decade.

I'm doing the Fred Whitton (in the Lake District) in May, and I'm targeting sub 7 hours, which will be...interesting. I've done it a couple of times, and I'd still say it's the best (and hardest) sportive I've ever done, and that includes the Etape.

The Italian alps remain my favourite place to ride a bike in Europe, though if you want quiet, good quality roads, nice weather and challenging terrain, Spain is hard to beat IME.
Whoo boy….forget about tire size. I hope you’re geared correctly. Hardknott Pass! 😅
Old 03-15-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Whoo boy….forget about tire size. I hope you’re geared correctly. Hardknott Pass! 😅
Yup... from last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7144.jpg (88.5 KB, 238 views)
Old 03-15-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Yup... from last year.
Whoa! I presume this isn’t an optical illusion.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
Whoa! I presume this isn’t an optical illusion.
No - that section of road touches 33%. It is unspeakably hideous
Old 03-15-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
No - that section of road touches 33%. It is unspeakably hideous
For me (as Hall & Oates would say)
No can do.