Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 10:31 PM

Prefer natural foot shaped shoes and minimal to no drop and very little to no padding...

Lems and Xero shoes are what I mostly wear, but often wear Xero sandals or chacos.

For work I wear lems leather boat shoes most days. Zero drop, some protection so I can walk super fast without flapping my feet or landing carefully (what true zero drop no padding minimal shoes do to my stride) I’d like to try their other models but haven’t gotten around to it yet..
Old 08-21-2019, 12:43 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Walking is the new running. Any favorites? Wide toe boxes preferred. I like Keens, but always interested in other opinions ...
Salomons super-light trailrunner/light hiking shoes for me. like walking on clouds, literally.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:28 AM

Brooks Cascadias are the universal donor. expensive for running shoes, but good for it all ... backpacking trips, dog walking, whatever. Last forever. Like wearing a squishy land cruiser on each foor.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:38 AM

I’m really liking the walkers I got from Oboz footwear in Bozeman. Rugged, great fit and support. No affiliation.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Salomons super-light trailrunner/light hiking shoes for me. like walking on clouds, literally.

And this is the point that someone else made - It all depends on your feet. I owned a pair of these and they were uncomfortable as bricks. I dont know why I bought them (looks?)

Anyways, while they’re butt ugly, the Hokas are verrrrryyy comfortable on my feet. I bought a more neutral looking pair so they weren’t all neon with a two inch white sole.

They’re my gold standard now, but someone needs to hire them an industrial designer...
Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 AM

Altra. The zero drop, wide toe box format is wonderfully comfortable. There are different options for padding levels. I have never had another back or knee issue since switching over.

I have had a few models. The only pair I had any gripe with were the escalante. The tow box is very low, which means my toes sit right up against the mesh. I have a personal preference against this feeling.

My 2 cents
Old 08-21-2019, 09:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Remember these?

I had a pair..they were pretty comfy..

BUT gonna get lots of answers..I just use a decent pair of running shoes..to walk..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_fullxfull.286988636.jpg (28.0 KB, 280 views)
Old 08-21-2019, 09:48 AM

I'm on a zero drop diet.

Been wearing Merrell Trail Gloves as my every day shoe and picked up a pair of Lems 9to5s for work. Probably need to find a couple of additional work friendly shoes...

Love the zero drop... I mostly work at home, and only put shoes on to walk the dog.

Haven't tried any serious running in these yet...so far am sticking with lightweight trainers that have more padding than the typical zero drop running shoe. Zero drop shoes do require a different running technique...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
Altra. The zero drop, wide toe box format is wonderfully comfortable. There are different options for padding levels. I have never had another back or knee issue since switching over.

I have had a few models. The only pair I had any gripe with were the escalante. The tow box is very low, which means my toes sit right up against the mesh. I have a personal preference against this feeling.

My 2 cents
I really like my altras, but even they are bothersome with my current level of neuropathy. I've only tried the instinct. What model that you have used has the highest and roomiest toe box? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:34 PM

Mephisto

Rated best walking shoes for decades.
Several models, but r pricey-240-300$
Old 08-21-2019, 07:40 PM
n - 1

The last two years, my every day walking, office, dining, hiking shoe has been Merrell Trail Gloves (5). Minimal cushion. Great traction, even on dirt. (Gravel shoe??). Great shoes.

If you want more wider toe box, Altra’s Are good. Although I’ve had durability issues with a couple of pairs (but I was trail running).
Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 PM

When not going off pavement or sidewalks my feet really prefer Birkenstocks to anything I've tried, but I have years of sandal training. Keens fit me near perfectly and I wear them for virtually everything that is beyond sandals, but they are not nearly as comfortable as a well worn pair of Birks.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:05 PM

Hoka One One

Just like cycling shoes and saddles, everyone‘s body is different. With that being said, I have lots of foot issues and need max cushion, wide and tall toe box. Hoka One One Bondi 6 wides answer all my needs for comfort. Used them hiking in Acadia National Park thus summer, they were great! For fall and winter I have found the Dr. Martins 8” boots to be very comfortable, lots of cusion from their air sole, wide and tall toe box. Planning to purchase a pair of their shoes this fall.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 PM

If you have an REI near you, try on a few of their hiking shoes.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post

I have their boots for hiking, great shoe.
I didn't like the lacing system on their shoes.
I went with The North Face for walking / trails

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/sh...nId=ZU5#hero=0

Last edited by Tony T; 08-21-2019 at 09:04 PM.