Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 12:42 PM

Tubular Rims??

Need PL input in a “modern” set of alloy tubular rims. My Nemesis rims gave up the ghost a while back with cracking around a bunch of the eyelets but they didn’t owe me anything. My Campy Barcelona rims also have a massive number of kms on them and I think I need another set of everyday alloy rims. I have a set of 32h Record hubs that need a set of hoops. What is the best modern alloy “bombproof” tubular rim right now? TIA.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:27 PM
ZhugeLiang

I don't know about being the best but relatively bombproof and on the heavier side is Velocity Major Tom tubular rims. I have built a set of wheels out of those rims. You said alloy, so that's what I stick to, but I have heard many people said they trusted their quality carbon tubular wheels to stand up to everyday use and/or abuse so you might reconsider your options.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:37 PM

If your previous rims died a premature death from cracking, that’s prob what you want to minimize?.. If so, look for polished rims without anodizing. Pref. with double stainless steel eyelets, but those are harder to find. For wider tires, wider rim beds are nicer — Major Tom is not bad. I’ve several sets of tubs, but honestly, I find modern carbon tubulars quite durable (as in, they survive potholes better), and braking is decent.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:40 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Agree Maj-Tom pretty bomb proof, if that is an actual possibility. And they are 23mm so some decent gluing real estate for bit fatter tirz. My set are 28h on White hubs currently with Challenge Bianca Strada 30mm tubeless tubulars.

With 32h hubs I do Sapim Lasers, for me Sapim Race Drive side as I am right at Clyde.

Last edited by robt57; 02-17-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:27 PM

Campy Victory Strada or Crono or Record Pave (rare and $$$) are my rim choices. Before going Campy I used Mavic GP-4 or GEL 330 which were quite durable. Good luck find NOS tubular rims.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:36 PM

I've actually had good luck with Mavic Reflex (as a lighter rider), if that still qualifies as modern.

The Kinlin TB25's are supposed to be decent, no experience with those.

I'm hoarding a very nice set of 32h GP-4's I might be talked out of...
Old 02-17-2024, 04:44 PM
Administrator

HED made a tubular rim for a while. Nemesis are pretty much bulletproof and available.

Zipp also had rims.

There are two sets of wheels that would do you well listed for sale currently:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...hlight=tubular
Old 02-19-2024, 12:00 PM

I've had outstanding luck finding NOS tubular rims in the classifieds. Recently got a set of barely used Nemesis, and have picked up NOS Mavic GP4, GL 330 and Reflex. Ask around lots of us have rare old stuff in the basement.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:03 PM

Hed.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:26 PM

FYI, 25mm tires are too narrow for Major Tom’s. I suppose I should inspect my 32 hole Nemesis as they have been through a lot.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbgdh View Post
Need PL input in a “modern” set of alloy tubular rims. My Nemesis rims gave up the ghost a while back with cracking around a bunch of the eyelets but they didn’t owe me anything. My Campy Barcelona rims also have a massive number of kms on them and I think I need another set of everyday alloy rims. I have a set of 32h Record hubs that need a set of hoops. What is the best modern alloy “bombproof” tubular rim right now? TIA.
I have a BRAND NEW set of Ambrosio Nemesis 32 hole rims if you want to replace what you had.

I still think they are probably one of the best riding alloy tubulars out there... I still ride that rim laced to some DT Swiss hubs and I have a set of Shimano Dura-Ace 9170 C40 tubular wheels
Old 02-22-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyBgood View Post
I have a BRAND NEW set of Ambrosio Nemesis 32 hole rims if you want to replace what you had.

I still think they are probably one of the best riding alloy tubulars out there... I still ride that rim laced to some DT Swiss hubs and I have a set of Shimano Dura-Ace 9170 C40 tubular wheels
Thanks.... I'll PM you. I loved my one set of Nemesis wheels that I've had. I had mine laced to Campy Record hubs and will happily stick with the same. HED Ardennes was another option but they seem impossible to find in my Interwebs searches so far.