Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 12-11-2023, 07:07 PM

fore/aft leave it or mess with it?

so every thing feels pretty dialed in and according to the myvelofit app everything is in range ie seat height, reach, handle bar height etc the only one that is not towards the middle of the ranges is the setback. maybe it is not that important but curious what the experienced fitters have to say. I really don't have much room to slide the saddle further forward with my seat post it is a 20° offset post. I don't necessarily feel like I am too far back if that has any bearing on things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 12-11-23 at 3.34 PM.jpg (84.8 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4962.jpg (73.9 KB, 330 views)
Old 12-12-2023, 06:05 AM

If you can achieve your position with that post, then you're all set. Most people have this idea that the saddle HAS to be positioned mid-rail or the fit is wrong.

No; their thinking is wrong.

Forget what some app says. Nothing is gospel. As long as you are comfortable and riding pain-free, your position is fine.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:13 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
If you can achieve your position with that post, then you're all set. Most people have this idea that the saddle HAS to be positioned mid-rail or the fit is wrong.

No; their thinking is wrong.

Forget what some app says. Nothing is gospel. As long as you are comfortable and riding pain-free, your position is fine.
I subscribed to this philosophy.
And to the last point, do whatever it takes to get there, even if it messes up the "appearance".
Old 12-12-2023, 09:33 AM

Not a fitter, but if I was going to have the saddle fore/aft be "wrong", I'd err on the side of too far back. Too far forward seems to irritate my knees. Not sure if that's usual, or just me.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:48 PM

Either too far forward or too far back can bother something.

There is a relationship between saddle height and setback. If you move it back you might need to move it down and vise versa.

If you are not having any issues leave it alone and ignore the app if all it does is use formulas or something. Go see a good fitter if you have some concern.

Looks like that saddle has almost no adjustment range. That seems to be all the rage today.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:41 AM

And then there's aesthetics.....
Old 12-17-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
so every thing feels pretty dialed in and according to the myvelofit app everything is in range ie seat height, reach, handle bar height etc the only one that is not towards the middle of the ranges is the setback. maybe it is not that important but curious what the experienced fitters have to say. I really don't have much room to slide the saddle further forward with my seat post it is a 20° offset post. I don't necessarily feel like I am too far back if that has any bearing on things.
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, and go ride your bike. No matter what, bike fits are not a perfect science.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:47 PM

I’d recommend the balance test.

If you can ride at an ftp style load, and have very little weight on your hands - so much so that you can take your hands off the bars and balance your torso, then the setback for your given position is probably very close to correct.

The velo fit app will probably have you chasing your tail on getting this part of the fit nailed down
Old 02-04-2024, 10:17 AM

Only thing I’d caution here, after getting your comfortablest fit nailed down, is to gauge where the indentations from your sit bones are relative to the rail clamp. Too far behind (most common) or too far forward will put undue torque on the clamp and stress the saddle rails, so inspect those regularly. If the sit bones align right over the rail clamp, then it’s optimal from the mechanics standpoint. For most saddles and seat tube angles, you’ll need a setback post to achieve that, while maintaining proper setback for pedaling efficiency, etc.
Old 02-04-2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Only thing I’d caution here, after getting your comfortablest fit nailed down, is to gauge where the indentations from your sit bones are relative to the rail clamp. Too far behind (most common) or too far forward will put undue torque on the clamp and stress the saddle rails, so inspect those regularly. If the sit bones align right over the rail clamp, then it’s optimal from the mechanics standpoint. For most saddles and seat tube angles, you’ll need a setback post to achieve that, while maintaining proper setback for pedaling efficiency, etc.
ultimately I gave that seat about 700 miles and just never started loving it so went back to my old seat. it never had any indents from my sit bones. I have over 4000 miles on this one and no indents either. I must be to fat
I was chasing a few ounces of weight but decided not worth it in the end..
I think I am happy with the fit

https://portal.myvelofit.com/shared/...6-14dbe88629b0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5487.jpg (85.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 10.36.57 AM.jpg (49.0 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by jadmt; 02-05-2024 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:08 AM

anything glaring out of wack except my belly?
https://portal.myvelofit.com/shared/...6-14dbe88629b0
Old 02-06-2024, 12:24 AM

Looks a-ok, actually.

If I were to pick nits in any way, it'd be to note that in the rollers on a level floor, the rear wheel will typically sink just a bit below the front wheel. So, the bike is just slightly upturned.

If it were me, I'd see if I could ride for any length of time with no hands on the bars in a high gear with only a moderate forward lean. (Obviously, one has to be comfortable riding no hands on the rollers, but you seem to have good balance on them.)

Given how much I micro-futz with my set-ups anyway, I'd also play a little more with fore-aft (moving it back a bit to start) for the next ride, but that's just neurotic me.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Looks a-ok, actually.

If I were to pick nits in any way, it'd be to note that in the rollers on a level floor, the rear wheel will typically sink just a bit below the front wheel. So, the bike is just slightly upturned.

If it were me, I'd see if I could ride for any length of time with no hands on the bars in a high gear with only a moderate forward lean. (Obviously, one has to be comfortable riding no hands on the rollers, but you seem to have good balance on them.)

Given how much I micro-futz with my set-ups anyway, I'd also play a little more with fore-aft (moving it back a bit to start) for the next ride, but that's just neurotic me.
thanks. I wondered about the back wheel being down a bit. I might see if there is way to hike the back rollers up maybe a piece of plywood. I can ride on the road no hands leaning forward and I can take my hands off on rollers for really short while and swing them back towards my hips but only for a really short while.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:52 PM

so not sure if it makes any sense but I did raise the back end of the rollers up a bit.

https://portal.myvelofit.com/shared/...f-ff05a9c8a688
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 2.51.36 PM.png (94.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-09-2024, 01:10 PM
Grey Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Either too far forward or too far back can bother something.

There is a relationship between saddle height and setback. If you move it back you might need to move it down and vise versa.

If you are not having any issues leave it alone and ignore the app if all it does is use formulas or something. Go see a good fitter if you have some concern.

Looks like that saddle has almost no adjustment range. That seems to be all the rage today.
"No fore-aft range" was a concern with the Brooks leather saddles at least back to 1952, based on what I've seen.

I would use the plumb bob test to get at least one common indication of where your knee should be, then you set the fore /aft to move your knee forward or back to achieve that position. It's not the end of the story but it does go back to racing guidance in the '70s. I moved mine back from that position and am happier for it, but its at least a starting point. It's called KOPS, Knee Over Pedal Spindle.

Another thing is just to take everything your fitting app gave you, implement it carefully, dress up in your kit, and go out riding to see how it all works. If you don't like it, now you have concrete issues which will be easier for folks to help you with.