Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2021, 02:55 PM

Many newer foreign cars are difficult to repair. You often cannot simply replace a bad component, it has to be enabled with the Mfg's software. Some components require another level of super secret code from Germany.

I stayed with Garmin and I download my file and analyse it with GC. At least with Garmin, the complete mapsets are resident.

I can sort of understand his frustration but all he has to do is get out a Garmin and cable to download new files while Shi!MaNo gets its collective head out of its Arschloch
Old 06-10-2021, 03:07 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Who knows where we'll be in 50 years, but at so far, Sram and Shimano have kept their batteries forward and backward compatible.
You can also just make your own battery for Di2
sram is not so hackable.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:10 PM

The power meters will continue to work (albeit no further firmware updates) and if you are using a pioneer head unit, you will still get the real-time detailed single side measurements while riding.
The after ride analyses and special analysis features will be lost since there is no new website in sight to do this after the shutdown next week. To me it seems that shimano plainly has no interest in developing this tool for pioneer PMs

I have a pioneer PM and yes it is a bummer this happened , but I will continue to use it and take advantage of the real-time info for independent leg r3adings etc. I wasn’t one to deem the extra data deconvolution in the software as a key tool, for me. I can see that if you have an athlete that breaks the data down into lots of pieces then this will be a bigger issue.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Agree w/ above and the new Garmin Rally options are good as well.

I’ve had good experiences with stages too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, if you REALLY want crank based....you buy an SRM...STILL...This article is exactly why...

I have about 15 racers that are still using the ones supplied to them 8 years ago, and other than battery changes, they are just like a timex.... One rider has over 50,000 miles on his....yup...

There is SRM, and then there is everything else...
Old 06-10-2021, 03:36 PM

We’re the pm and computer that good? I have 9100 and it’s awesome, when 9200 comes out everyone will be mad for something or other…

Last edited by Mikej; 06-10-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:39 PM

Long term Shimano had to do this.. if the sales were declining the Pioneer computers were no longer bringing in revenue.

The web platform bills would continue to come in now matter what.

It's not free for any company to keep servicing a web platform for you if you're not paying them any recurring fees.

This is kind of the same situation as video game fans crying about an old game they paid $60 for having it's multiplayer services shut off after years. (Or Strava for that matter)

Whether you paid $60 or $600 or $6000 if it was a one time purchase it's all tiddlywinks compared to what running a web/cloud service can cost.

These things have consumer pricing with web scale and lots of data..

I thought DC Rainmaker was some kind of tech guy originally. Though he might know all this and still want to write a rant for the ad dollars.

You can flame them for bungling the transition.. but it's freaking Shimano. No bike industry company is that likely to run a transition like this well.

It's like asking a bike shop to administer medical care. It's not what their business was built around.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Long term Shimano had to do this.. if the sales were declining the Pioneer computers were no longer bringing in revenue.

The web platform bills would continue to come in now matter what.

It's not free for any company to keep servicing a web platform for you if you're not paying them any recurring fees.

This is kind of the same situation as video game fans crying about an old game they paid $60 for having it's multiplayer services shut off after years. (Or Strava for that matter)

Whether you paid $60 or $600 or $6000 if it was a one time purchase it's all tiddlywinks compared to what running a web/cloud service can cost.

These things have consumer pricing with web scale and lots of data..

I thought DC Rainmaker was some kind of tech guy originally. Though he might know all this and still want to write a rant for the ad dollars.

You can flame them for bungling the transition.. but it's freaking Shimano. No bike industry company is that likely to run a transition like this well.

It's like asking a bike shop to administer medical care. It's not what their business was built around.

I agree that running a platform isn’t cheap but do think Ray makes a good point about how piss poor the communication is/was to Pioneer customers. Ok, fine, you wanna shut it down and not support it anymore, I get it. However, how about a well written email/communication to give specific dates and actions to preserve historical data and set forth the status quo going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2021, 04:35 PM

Ray should just buy a Powertap G3 hub, Saris provides wonderful support for that product.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:47 PM

And the user community of 12 people cried.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Wait till he finds out tubulars are almost obsolete.

Dude'll probably wig out.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:02 PM

Also, take into account that drumming loud brings web traffic and that’s what brings the $ for DC rainmaker. Sure this is part of the strategy for melodramatic tone of this blog post. He generates good content but I cannot help but notice that he is going the extra mile on this one
Old 06-10-2021, 05:11 PM

Have you guys actually read the article? All this fuss, and the crank based power meter is still fully functional. What will be bricked for a couple weeks is the proprietary Pioneer computer, without which you can't read some Pioneer specific metrics and you can't update the power meter firmware.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:35 PM

The more stuff one " has to have" makes them more vulnerable to being jerked around. It never stops until you say it does.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
You bring a good related subject to the surface that not many people think about.

I've only personally been exposed to this with electronics, especially with Apple Products. iFixIt, a source of repair information and tools has been a cohesive source of info on the subject for me.

https://www.ifixit.com/Right-to-Repair/Intro
Thanks for this, very informative!
Old 06-10-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Love DC's reviews.
Really takes the time to review a product, and tell's it like it is.
I read his reviews as part of my research.