Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2022, 07:33 AM

Unhappy Powertap GS Hub Help Needed

Hello my fellow cyclists, I really need your help on this one. I recently purchased a nice set of carbon Powertap wheels developed by Amp and it has the DT Swiss developed GS hub which uses the straight pull style hub and the ratcheting gears instead of pawls. I love the recently acquired wheelset but it has a menacing clicking sound coming from the hub. At first I thought it might be the spokes so I had my friend at Enve check the wheels out and retension to spec. using their high tech equipment. No change. I've taken the ratcheting system out, cleaned and lubed it and no change. I have felt how the bearings are and they are silky smooth both the hub and the freebody. On the stand there is no sound but get on the bike and and it appears both coasting and pedaling. We even put this wheel on another bike and the same issue. I'm not sure what else to do thus the need to reach out to you folks. For reference sake these are the wheels in question https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...ncher-wheelset
Old 08-17-2022, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberenyi View Post
Hello my fellow cyclists, I really need your help on this one. I recently purchased a nice set of carbon Powertap wheels developed by Amp and it has the DT Swiss developed GS hub which uses the straight pull style hub and the ratcheting gears instead of pawls. I love the recently acquired wheelset but it has a menacing clicking sound coming from the hub. At first I thought it might be the spokes so I had my friend at Enve check the wheels out and retension to spec. using their high tech equipment. No change. I've taken the ratcheting system out, cleaned and lubed it and no change. I have felt how the bearings are and they are silky smooth both the hub and the freebody. On the stand there is no sound but get on the bike and and it appears both coasting and pedaling. We even put this wheel on another bike and the same issue. I'm not sure what else to do thus the need to reach out to you folks. For reference sake these are the wheels in question https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...ncher-wheelset

How frequent? Once every tire/wheel rotation?
Tire? Drop of boiled linseed oil where the nipple enters the rim and where spoke enters the hub? 'Maybe' a wee crack at the spoke hole?
Old 08-17-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
How frequent? Once every tire/wheel rotation?
Tire? Drop of boiled linseed oil where the nipple enters the rim and where spoke enters the hub? 'Maybe' a wee crack at the spoke hole?
There is a cyclic pattern it happens once every revolution while the bike is moving with a body on it. At first I thought it was a misaligned rear derailleur or a dirty ratchet gear inside the hub. I have a video of these sounds. https://youtu.be/-d_IwzqrcpII

Is it possible there is something going on further inside the the hub electronics or the torque tube? Next step is to coast the bike without the ratchet gears or springs.

Last edited by jberenyi; 08-18-2022 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:16 PM

Latest Update:

I removed the ratchet gears and the two conical springs inside the hub and just coasted on the bike. The single click sound repeats at the same rotation every time. It only happens if you put weight on the saddle. So you can sit on it or just put your chest on the saddle pushing down walking the bike and the click repeats every single time with my tube stem in the same spot with respect to rotation. The only thing left is to install a different freehub body but I don't this will fix the issue.

P.S. I did put Linseed Oil on every nipple.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:26 PM

The root cause of this problem came down to either a cracked rim due to factory over tensioning of the spokes on the drive side and cracking several spoke holes or its a dis-bonded strain gauge on the torque tube. In either case the wheelset was returned for a refund and I have moved on. It should be noted the spoke tension was verified with professional equipment to be 195-200 kg which is way beyond factory specs. for this Powertap carbon wheelset.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:36 PM

Yikes, that's crazy high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberenyi View Post
It should be noted the spoke tension was verified with professional equipment to be 195-200 kg which is way beyond factory specs. for this Powertap carbon wheelset.