Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2022, 06:58 AM

Bradycardia, PAC's and Pacemaker

Eight years ago I had an ablation for a fib and a flutter. The four hour procedure ended up lasting six to seven hours. Since then, I have had several issues with my HR, but my cardiologist and I have mostly been able to find a workable treatment. Now, my resting HR is 20 beats lower than normal with 7600 PAC'S per 24 hours. I’m so tired, I can hardly walk around the block. Doc says it’s pacemaker time. I am so hopeful. My body and my brain feel like they are operating at 40%. I have spoken to two members who have been very helpful and encouraging. Hopefully, there are more PL members who have advice and recommendations as I await my procedure. Thanks
Old 08-17-2022, 12:25 PM

No personal experience with pacemakers to share, but sounds like you’re suffering from low cardiac output. Assuming it’s related to insufficient heart rate and not to poor contractility, boosting it to normal ought to make a noticeable improvement in well-being. Kind of like an ebike.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:00 PM

It’s been about a year and a half since I got my pacemaker. It was a great decision after passing out twice, once while riding ( I had bradycardia). The procedure and recovery were pretty painless. I went in at 6:00 am and by noon that same day I was having a meal at a local cafe.

I too had afib and had 2 ablations about 11 years ago ( first one wasn’t successful ). Both were very long procedures. I’ve been pretty much a fib free since then.

Reach out to me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Steve
Old 08-18-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
No personal experience with pacemakers to share, but sounds like you’re suffering from low cardiac output. Assuming it’s related to insufficient heart rate and not to poor contractility, boosting it to normal ought to make a noticeable improvement in well-being. Kind of like an ebike.
One of my questions is whether the PAC' s are causing the bradycardia or is the bradycardia causing the PAC'S? I’ve only been able to communicate with the NP since my doc was on vacation when the results were returned. Since my procedure date is six weeks out, I’m going to call tomorrow and ask for an appointment with the doctor. I may need an ablation, not a pacemaker. However, I have had rhythm issues for the eight years since my ablation. Just not this bad. 7500 PAC' s per 24 hours is risky.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
... by noon that same day I was having a meal at a local cafe.
Ha; you got cheated! I was served lunch WHILE IN RECOVERY!

Seriously; when I was diagnosed in need of a pacemaker six years ago at 56, I couldn't ride 20 minutes without having to shut down and twiddle home. I don't have PACs but Wenckebach (Mobitz Type 1). Essentially, the time between the upper left atria beating and the subsequent left ventricle beating gets longer and longer until the ventricular beat disappears. Then the cycle repeats. My heart was like a jazz drummer!

Post pacemaker implant, I feel like my pre-pacemaker needed self.

But it took my pacemaker doc and a host of others over a year to get it programmed properly; until then it was as if the pacemaker wasn't working at all. A frustrating time indeed.

The solution: ONE CHECKBOX in the software!

A good book to read is by Lennard Zinn, Chris Case, and John Mandrola, MD; The Haywire Heart. It specifically addresses heart arrhythmia and endurance athletes. Easy to understand.

Show 'em if you got 'em!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Pacemaker - 1.jpeg (53.1 KB, 197 views)
Old 08-18-2022, 08:17 PM

Bah, I have been silent for months - may as well jump back in... First and foremost your cardiologist and their group are the experts. Time for a metronome? Pacemaker it is... Just a thought; I don't know if you have tried one or not, but an e-bike could be a great investment. Make sure your helmet is good... You don't want to faceplant from a syncopal episode.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:51 AM
Older Than You

7600 PAC's in 24 hours is a lot. I have a pacemaker and still have a few PAC's, mostly at rest. When exercising the PAC's go away.

Last edited by biker72; 08-19-2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
7600 PAC's in 24 hours is a lot. I have a pacemaker and still have a few PAC's, mostly at rest. When exercising the PAC's go away.
Yes, and I am concerned about it since my appointment for pacemaker is six weeks out. It does not show up on a Garmin or on an EKG. Only shows up on holter monitor.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:01 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
One of my questions is whether the PAC' s are causing the bradycardia or is the bradycardia causing the PAC'S? I’ve only been able to communicate with the NP since my doc was on vacation when the results were returned. Since my procedure date is six weeks out, I’m going to call tomorrow and ask for an appointment with the doctor. I may need an ablation, not a pacemaker. However, I have had rhythm issues for the eight years since my ablation. Just not this bad. 7500 PAC' s per 24 hours is risky.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.
My limited knowledge of arrhythmia problems is that bradycardia and PAC's are two different heart issues. Have a talk with your NP. He will know.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
Yes, and I am concerned about it since my appointment for pacemaker is six weeks out. It does not show up on a Garmin or on an EKG. Only shows up on holter monitor.
Call them - They might do your procedure sooner as you are having complications. Keep a log... You will hopefully be a cybernetic cyclist and ready to resume operations as normal in short order.

Best,

Dek
Old 08-20-2022, 05:09 AM

Yes, bradycardia and PAC's are two different things. 7600 Pacs per day isn't that many from a medical standpoint, so the doc will focus on the bradycardia. There is a good chance the number of Pacs will go down once the bradycardia is addressed. Pacemakers are commonplace and work well.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Yes, bradycardia and PAC's are two different things. 7600 Pacs per day isn't that many from a medical standpoint, so the doc will focus on the bradycardia. There is a good chance the number of Pacs will go down once the bradycardia is addressed. Pacemakers are commonplace and work well.
I feel no symptoms from the PAC's, but I definitely feel the bradycardia. And, taking beta blockers to address PAC'S will plunge my HR even more. I’m not concerned about wearing a pacemaker, I look forward to feeling like I have a bit of power in my legs.
BTW, I did purchase an ebike, an Orbea Gain. It's fun but it still wears me out!
Old 08-20-2022, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

As an aside and as a afib kinda guy(Ablation 2 years ago..so far, so good...knock on titanium)..

Lots of ticker issues from PL hive so...

'Might' look into getting one of these...I have the one where you place on ankle and fingers..6 lead EKG, then you can text to Doc..

https://www.kardia.com/

Also bought a home blood pressure tester....
Old 08-21-2022, 09:28 PM

That is cool. A one lead EKG in a credit card!
Old 08-22-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
As an aside and as a afib kinda guy(Ablation 2 years ago..so far, so good...knock on titanium)..

Lots of ticker issues from PL hive so...

'Might' look into getting one of these...I have the one where you place on ankle and fingers..6 lead EKG, then you can text to Doc..

https://www.kardia.com/

Also bought a home blood pressure tester....
That is a very interesting product. I have been reading about the future of telemedicine for many years, especially in AARP magazine. I think the pandemic has moved things along.
Now, I have read two opinions regarding PAC's. One PL'er says 7600 per day is not significant. Another PL'er says that is a lot. When I send a message via mychart, I only get a return message from a NP. I think the doctor might be more able to explain what he is seeing on the ECG and the monitor reading. Meanwhile, I am trying to relax, breathe and meditate more, and I’ve increased my magnesium intake to try and manage the PVC's. They still don’t show on any of my HR monitors. Should I be overly concerned about 7600 per day.