Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 09:40 AM

Another Dinotte Quad fan here. Have ridden with folks who didn't have one and they've purchased after seeing how bright and noticeable it is.

For the front, I'm debating the new outbound lighting wireless light but am a bit hesitant given size. I currently just use the Light n Motion 1000 since it easily moveable from bike to bike. I use this mainly in the winter for commuting though.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:59 AM

For front headlights, I think Light & Motion, Cygolite, NiteRider are pretty much neck-to-neck.

An overlooked aspect is how do they mount. Personally, I dislike the Cygolite mount because there's a horizontal rotating aspect to them that loosens up over time. NiteRiders seem well built, but no long term use with them.

Outbound Lighting's new Detour light at $179 looks really promising. Sure it's larger than many other headlights, but this is because of its extensive mirror array to shape the beams.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:54 AM

I received my preorder for the detour light a few days ago, I'm quite pleased with it.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Another Dinotte Quad fan here.
Just ordered one.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Bear View Post
Just ordered one.
I have one as well for the Bay Area, it's super bright and should be pretty hard for motorists not to see.
Another benefit is that it's got a very long battery life so I can keep it on for the length of my rides without worrying that it might die. A light is only useful if it's turned on.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I’d suggest a Varia UT 800 smart front light and a Varia RTL 515 (or if you want to splurge on a camera the RCT715). Set up a smart light network and the GPS auto adjusts the lights depending on desired use (high-vis daytime use, or dusk/nighttime), controls the brightness, and preserves battery. The rear Varia is one of those gadgets that you won’t want to ride without once you’ve used it. The front Varia is well built with an aluminum body, solid, and provides enough light to ride in the dark, but flashes during daylight.
I agree. Also:

The UT 800 is more reliable than the heavier other Varia HL. The other one, however, can change the beam based on speed, etc.

The Varia light network sometimes makes it's own decisions, such as going "steady" on the HL and then the battery drains. Fine in the morning, but if you ride a double-century, you may want to turn it off during bright light.

I treat every ride as "car back" almost all the time. The radar notice crawling on the edge of the Garmin is cool, and reminds me when I stop paying attention.

I'd balance the Garmin system vs. the front/rear camera/light Cycliq system. A friend was recently mowed down from behind, and the rear camera caught it in horrifying detail, including the snap of her femur in the hip socket, and the driver of the car being on the phone at point of impact. I hear Cycliq has some customer service issues, but so does Garmin.

With my Garmin Edges and lights, I probably have $2000 invested in the system, without a camera. Tech moves forward, and I'm likely to go Wahoo and Cycliq for my next setups. Your choices may vary, but you're safer with something than nothing.

I actually have a pair of USB-charged headlights for about $20 that work pretty well, but not to see (only to be seen), and a pair of Blackburn tailights that work just fine. I've just gotten used to a system, not a pair of lights.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:53 PM

running CygoLite Hot Rods, front and rear.

bright, multiple flash options, USB, cheap.

my only comment is that, even when new, the batts have never held a charge as long as advertised. can still get several rides in before they need a top off so not a huge deal.