Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 06:15 AM

We’ve heard rumors of these bikes for years. I want to see a bike with these magnetic wheel motors built and ridden. I feel like I’ve only ever heard the rumor mill.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:09 AM

If this was true Lance would have said so.

I think the penalties for this would have been WAY less than for doping.

You wouldn't work so hard to cover it up.

It's just so dumb since we know he was doped to the gills, he got caught and finally admitted it.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:17 PM

Found the article I was thinking of. Pretty compelling.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minu...d-pro-cycling/

The guy got paid $2MM in '98 for bike motors, on an exclusive basis along with a 10 year NDA. In Hungary at that time $2MM was a literal fortune.

"In France, where cycling is a religion, the newspaper Le Monde said this past December that the timeline of Stefano’s story might implicate Lance Amstrong. Armstrong won his first of seven Tour de France victories in 1999, just a year after Stefano Varjas’ said he sold his first motor. Armstrong denied to the paper ever meeting Stefano in person or putting a motor in his bike.

We asked Armstrong too through his lawyer and he denied ever using a motor and declined an interview....

In order to demonstrate the motors existed as far back as 1998, Stefano Varjas suggested to us that we find a carbon fiber 1999 U.S. Postal Service team bike, the same bike the U.S. Postal team used in the 1999 Tour de France. We bought this bike off the Internet and he installed a motor based on his first design into the bike. He charged us $12,000, saying that covered his costs for the parts and labor...."
Old 08-17-2022, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Found the article I was thinking of. Pretty compelling.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minu...d-pro-cycling/

The guy got paid $2MM in '98 for bike motors, on an exclusive basis along with a 10 year NDA. In Hungary at that time $2MM was a literal fortune.

"In France, where cycling is a religion, the newspaper Le Monde said this past December that the timeline of Stefano’s story might implicate Lance Amstrong. Armstrong won his first of seven Tour de France victories in 1999, just a year after Stefano Varjas’ said he sold his first motor. Armstrong denied to the paper ever meeting Stefano in person or putting a motor in his bike.

We asked Armstrong too through his lawyer and he denied ever using a motor and declined an interview....

In order to demonstrate the motors existed as far back as 1998, Stefano Varjas suggested to us that we find a carbon fiber 1999 U.S. Postal Service team bike, the same bike the U.S. Postal team used in the 1999 Tour de France. We bought this bike off the Internet and he installed a motor based on his first design into the bike. He charged us $12,000, saying that covered his costs for the parts and labor...."
Seriously? - this was discussed back in 2017 on this very forum. Just search. Comes up on the first page. Not to come off as rude, but you're not bringing new thoughts to the discussion. I really can't believe the number of times people here want to continue to discuss and litigate LA, even though seemingly everyone has their opinion (and they are gonna be a d!ck about it.)
Old 08-17-2022, 07:25 AM

As a devoted Lance hater this wouldn't surprise me. Lance never met a means of cheating he didn't like.

Just doing my part to keep this one rolling along for entertainment.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:32 PM

James just think if you had a motor in one of your bikes, it would keep going....and going...and going....

Hey KonaSS, thanks for being this subject matter thread historian, and it's unfortunate you got triggered by my post. Maybe don't read the threads that cause angst. Or even better, read a book called "The Four Agreements" and absorb one of the lessons to not take things personally. Let alone taking any jibber jabber seriously on an internet bike forum, of all things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
As a devoted Lance hater this wouldn't surprise me. Lance never met a means of cheating he didn't like.

Just doing my part to keep this one rolling along for entertainment.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
James just think if you had a motor in one of your bikes, it would keep going....and going...and going....

Hey KonaSS, thanks for being this subject matter thread historian, and it's unfortunate you got triggered by my post. Maybe don't read the threads that cause angst. Or even better, read a book called "The Four Agreements" and absorb one of the lessons to not take things personally. Let alone taking any jibber jabber seriously on an internet bike forum, of all things.

Appreciate the life lessons. It is unfortunate you are triggered by what Lance Armstrong may or may not have done in the early 2000s. Maybe reread the book, see what you can absorb.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:01 AM
Randomhead

The wheel motor allegations never had any merit in my view, I think it would be heavy enough that it wouldn't be worth it. And it would be extremely difficult to make a useful wheel motor due because it would require decent size stator windings on the frame. I also feel like the guy couldn't have stopped himself from demonstrating his tech.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:38 PM

Haha, well touche ya got me! We're not curing cancer here so it's all just jibber jabber. Carry on, tailwinds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Appreciate the life lessons. It is unfortunate you are triggered by what Lance Armstrong may or may not have done in the early 2000s. Maybe reread the book, see what you can absorb.