Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professerr View Post
Robert is a pleasure to work with.

The thing that interests me about this though is all the trouble the owner went through to retrofit a electronic shift bike to mechanical campy. I wonder if he is pleased with that decision, and why he did it. Not a trivial effort or expense to do this..
I think it was well worth the expense, the Mechanical Super Record looks amazing on this bike.

*also biased because I have the same groupset on my bike
Old 08-14-2022, 10:10 PM

What great looking bike that will be a pleasure to ride. One note though, the copy on AC’s site indicates that you could only make these kind of changes to a metal bike. I’ve had the cable guides removed from a Parlee. I’m sure they could put them back on.

Actually a second note though, I’ve had the guides removed from a Ti Seven and it was a huge PITA.

Having a bike reborn like this is really fun. It’s amazing what can be done.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
What great looking bike that will be a pleasure to ride. One note though, the copy on AC’s site indicates that you could only make these kind of changes to a metal bike. I’ve had the cable guides removed from a Parlee. I’m sure they could put them back on.

Actually a second note though, I’ve had the guides removed from a Ti Seven and it was a huge PITA.

Having a bike reborn like this is really fun. It’s amazing what can be done.
I agree with you. Parlee made me fender eyelets on an Enve fork way back in the day.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:42 PM

That was a super fun watch. What's interesting is not only the skill, but the speed.

I think on a good day I could match the skill but a bike build of this caliber would take me a full day or two of obsessing and going over things over and over, when it looks like this guy knocked in out in a couple hours max without breaking a sweat. The efficiency of movement is apparent.

A few things I noticed:
  • He totally eyeballs the shift housing at the lever end, not even having inserted the housing into the lever to seat, but then goes through the trouble of measuring the length of the barrel adjuster?
  • I'm really curious about the trick where he starts overlapping the electrical tape on the bar tape a rotation before the bar tape is terminated. Is that to get an extra tight stretch at the end? I'm trying this next time.
  • Speaking of bar tape, he rotates the tape counterclockwise on the drops-- the opposite of what I have been taught. I would think in the drops your hands want to pull the tape clockwise.
  • Curious how he leveled the levers on the bar and if he used a torque wrench. Those Campy levers are so awkward to access the bolt, and I was really hoping to see how a pro torques it properly but they skipped it.
  • Love the plastic bag on the BB tool trick.
  • Interesting- the use of teflon tape and antiseize on the BB. I like teflon tape on ITA BB's only, due to the driveside's tendency to work itself loose but think just antiseize would be fine on an English BB like this bike's.
  • I wonder why it was necessary to trim down the Lightweight skewers. In the end they almost looked too narrow. Either way, it was cool to see his setup- dremel plus dummy nuts to chase the threads.

Overall it was a pleasure to watch a pro at work.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
that was fun to watch. guy is a pro.

I'm just lubing my chain right now and feel like a complete and utter clutz compared to his fluid and precise movements.

oof.

Bobby Gee at Above Category! His uncle Vincent Gee is a pro team mech/tech!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2022, 11:00 PM

this one is pretty good too (Pinarello Dogma) - except they put Dura Ace on an Italian frame - hahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uytwLWq7oYc
Old 08-14-2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanhkhanh View Post
I think it was well worth the expense, the Mechanical Super Record looks amazing on this bike.

*also biased because I have the same groupset on my bike

It’s the little details! I went the other way, removed cables guides, refinished my Moots CR to go electric. Sure, I could have left the guides there, but it would bug me.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
That was a super fun watch. What's interesting is not only the skill, but the speed.

I think on a good day I could match the skill but a bike build of this caliber would take me a full day or two of obsessing and going over things over and over, when it looks like this guy knocked in out in a couple hours max without breaking a sweat. The efficiency of movement is apparent.

A few things I noticed:
  • He totally eyeballs the shift housing at the lever end, not even having inserted the housing into the lever to seat, but then goes through the trouble of measuring the length of the barrel adjuster?
  • I'm really curious about the trick where he starts overlapping the electrical tape on the bar tape a rotation before the bar tape is terminated. Is that to get an extra tight stretch at the end? I'm trying this next time.
  • Speaking of bar tape, he rotates the tape counterclockwise on the drops-- the opposite of what I have been taught. I would think in the drops your hands want to pull the tape clockwise.
  • Curious how he leveled the levers on the bar and if he used a torque wrench. Those Campy levers are so awkward to access the bolt, and I was really hoping to see how a pro torques it properly but they skipped it.
  • Love the plastic bag on the BB tool trick.
  • Interesting- the use of teflon tape and antiseize on the BB. I like teflon tape on ITA BB's only, due to the driveside's tendency to work itself loose but think just antiseize would be fine on an English BB like this bike's.
  • I wonder why it was necessary to trim down the Lightweight skewers. In the end they almost looked too narrow. Either way, it was cool to see his setup- dremel plus dummy nuts to chase the threads.

Right, doing it well, and fast takes practice. That’s what he does as a FT job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2022, 06:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Campagnolo mech(External route) and rim brake, what's not to like? Pretty much how 'we' built a high end rig when I was at Vecchio's. Good on routing der housing in front with head tube cable stops. I would have made the housing a 'wee' bit longer, even at the rear der..can always make it shorter.

But nice video. I get the feeling they don't do much 'service', the work place is SO clean...
Quote:
Mechanic is Robert Gee at Above Category. Great wrench but don’t ask him to work on suspension
I KNEW I liked him!!
Quote:
Interesting- the use of teflon tape and antiseize on the BB.
-Depending on the frame, I have used teflon tape on BSC BBs often..some BB shell thread 'sharpness' isn't that great.
-I never used antisieze with Campagnolo UT BB cups..to big of a chance it 'might' migrate to the bearings..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-15-2022 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:06 AM

I wrap counterclockwise on the drops as well; not sure how or when I started doing it but it is how I do it. I have wrapped hundreds of bars that way and have never had one come loose (or at least not one that a customer came back with). It is not an issue if you wrap it tight enough.

As for the Lightweight QR skewers, I believe they are long enough to cover 135mm spacing so they are a bit too long on 130mm frames.

Edit: just looked up their latest QR skewers and it says they are for 100mm front / 130mm rear. So I am not sure what happened there.

https://shop.lightweight.info/en_eu/...ghtweight.html

Quote:
A few things I noticed:[*]Speaking of bar tape, he rotates the tape counterclockwise on the drops-- the opposite of what I have been taught. I would think in the drops your hands want to pull the tape clockwise.
Quote:
[*]I wonder why it was necessary to trim down the Lightweight skewers. In the end they almost looked too narrow. Either way, it was cool to see his setup- dremel plus dummy nuts to chase the threads.

Last edited by fa63; 08-15-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:52 AM

Where's all the requisite cussing and do-overs cuz you screwed something up? Man... I wish I could wrap bars that effortlessly!
Old 08-15-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
this one is pretty good too (Pinarello Dogma) - except they put Dura Ace on an Italian frame - hahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uytwLWq7oYc
Thanks for the link, I enjoyed this video (ffwd to 50% to get to the build). In terms of cool tools I don't see everyday, I thought the repair stand was interesting but maybe not as the only stand in the workshop. He used a couple skinny-handled precision screwdrivers, which I think is a smart way to naturally limit torque. As for the negatives I wouldn't use a regular hacksaw blade on a carbon steerer like I saw here.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
Thanks for the link, I enjoyed this video (ffwd to 50% to get to the build). In terms of cool tools I don't see everyday, I thought the repair stand was interesting but maybe not as the only stand in the workshop. He used a couple skinny-handled precision screwdrivers, which I think is a smart way to naturally limit torque. As for the negatives I wouldn't use a regular hacksaw blade on a carbon steerer like I saw here.
Agreed the workstand stood out to me. Infact looking at what height adjustable options there are available right now!
Old 08-15-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Campagnolo mech(External route) and rim brake, what's not to like? Pretty much how 'we' built a high end rig when I was at Vecchio's. Good on routing der housing in front with head tube cable stops. I would have made the housing a 'wee' bit longer, even at the rear der..can always make it shorter.

But nice video. I get the feeling they don't do much 'service', the work place is SO clean...

I KNEW I liked him!!

-Depending on the frame, I have used teflon tape on BSC BBs often..some BB shell thread 'sharpness' isn't that great.
-I never used antisieze with Campagnolo UT BB cups..to big of a chance it 'might' migrate to the bearings..

I’m sure they still service bikes there. They probably have a routine workspace cleaning schedule too, just like kitchens in high end restaurants!

I found out which scissors he’s using, they’re titanium Fiskers!

Old 08-15-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by many_styles View Post
I found out which scissors he’s using, they’re titanium Fiskers!
Nice. I would like a titanium tape dispenser for my desk. This is not Ti but cool anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.39.30 AM.jpg (61.1 KB, 142 views)