Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2022, 06:08 PM

D2R2 100K Start Meetup

I'm hoping to have wheels rolling by 8:00 AM to beat what may be a pretty hot day. Happy to ride with other PLers if our paces match. Last year my overall speed was 11.3 mph and just a tad over 5-1/2 hours riding time and 7 hours total.

I'll be on my Bingham. Like Angry, I roll with a pink theme - water bottles, headset, seat collar. Bike has 650bx42 and a Tubus Airy rack.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:06 AM

Similar story.
I’m tempted by the 160K but the forecasted temps would have to be lower.
No.22 with blue WI hubs.
Kit TBD.
Looking to start around the same time.
Hope to see you out there.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:50 AM

I'll be there.
1st timer.
Senior citizen with grey plastic bike with chameleon green bar tape; white Kask Mojito, white 100% glasses.
Kit TBD -
I'll be the guy who looks the most lost or confused or both. lol.

No idea on pace 7000k of climbing is uncharted territory. Hoping for under 5 hours if I don't cramp up or eat**** on a descent.

It'd be fun to say hi maybe roll out with y'all. If not no worries (catch up after) not sure when I'll get started. The earlier the better but not going to stress about a specific time if I don't need to.

Notes I got the other day from the D2R2 email indicated that 9-10am was start time for 100k. Sounds like you can start whenever you want?

Can someone confirm when 100k begins?
Old 08-14-2022, 09:05 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
I'll be there.
1st timer.
Senior citizen with grey plastic bike with chameleon green bar tape; white Kask Mojito, white 100% glasses.
Kit TBD -

No idea on pace 7000k of climbing is uncharted territory. Hoping for under 5 hours if I don't cramp up or eat**** on a descent.

It'd be fun to say hi maybe roll out with y'all. If not no worries (catch up after) not sure when I'll get started. The earlier the better but not going to stress about a specific time if I don't need to.

Notes I got the other day from the D2R2 email indicated that 9-10am was start time for 100k. Sounds like you can start whenever you want?

They try to time everything to the 'average' pace, which of course there isn't.
8am should work if you're not going to average 16mph! The rest stations may not be set up if you get there too early. This has never been a problem for me!
Hoping for under 5 hours total time?! Seriously? Ride times of 5 to 5.5 hours seem common, with total times in the 6+ hour range with rest stops and the big lunch at the crib dam.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:13 AM

7000k. Wow, what sort of rocket will you be taking?

:-D
Old 08-14-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
They try to time everything to the 'average' pace, which of course there isn't.
8am should work if you're not going to average 16mph! The rest stations may not be set up if you get there too early. This has never been a problem for me!
Hoping for under 5 hours total time?! Seriously? Ride times of 5 to 5.5 hours seem common, with total times in the 6+ hour range with rest stops and the big lunch at the crib dam.
I literally have no idea. If common times are 5 - 5.5 hours am i expecting too much to think that I can do it in 5? (ride time) I plan to stop for lunch but I'm not inclined to stand around and shoot the breeze. Anyhow, you tell me. I have zero experience with this sort of thing. I don't want to be ahead of feed stations. I'll probably blow up and DNF anyhow.

Last edited by cuda; 08-15-2022 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
7000k. Wow, what sort of rocket will you be taking?

:-D
fn crazy - I know.
Lucky if i get that in a week. It's totally inconceivable. I'm sure I'm being too ambitious but it's just how I'm wired. Disappointment is my closest friend.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:23 AM
Head to Ned

I always liked to start slow, then taper off!
On the 100k there is a LOT of climbing to the first rest stop. As your first time
at D2R2 I'd say ride easy to the first stop and then see where you're at. Later in the day you'll be humping up the 'steps" to the Apex Orchard for some peaches and a very well deserved break. Just know there is ALWAYS more climbing coming, it's the signature of the founder Sandy! Just as the common thought at any intersection is turn towards the road going UP...

Last edited by witcombusa; 08-14-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
On the 100k there is a LOT of climbing to the first rest stop. As your first time
at D2R2 I'd say ride easy to the first stop and then see where you're at. Later in the day you'll be humping up the 'steps" to the Apex Orchard for some peaches and a very well deserved break. Just know there is ALWAYS more climbing coming, it's the signature of the founder Sandy! Just as the common thought at any intersection is turn towards the road going UP...

Thank you. I appreciate and will heed your advice.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
fn crazy - I know.
Lucky if i get that in a week. It's totally inconceivable. I'm sure I'm being too ambitious but it's just how I'm wired. Disappointment is my closest friend.
I don’t know if anyone can get that in a week.

Of note, I’m planning to do the 10,000 course here in IL over Labor Day. But that’s just 10,000 feet of climbing (about 3 km).

(I’m just joking with you; 7000k = 7,000,000).

Last edited by Marvinlungwitz; 08-14-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:37 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
I'll be there.
1st timer.
Kit TBD -

Not doing it this year but have done it 4 or 5 times. Usually the 100k which is excellent.

I am slow so I like to start early and would always start at 8am, eventually the 9amers would catch up to me since that is when they recommend leaving.

At D2R2 there is no offficial start, but as mentioned you don't want to leave too early or the stations will be closed but I think its safe to say even if you are a fast guy 8:30 it will all be open. Also some stations are shared with other longer courses so they open much earlier.

I would usually do the 100k in about 7-8 hours total but would spend a good time at the stations and probably half an hour for lunch. I dunno, my favorite part of D2R2 was talking to other people while I was ridding and talking to people at the stations and lunch but everyone is different. Also loved to stop to take pictures or just hang out.

Won't make it this year but I bet yall will be having a TON of fun!
Old 08-14-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
I don’t know if anyone can get that in a week.

Of note, I’m planning to do the 10,000 course here in IL over Labor Day. But that’s just 10,000 feet of climbing (about 3 km).

(I’m just joking with you; 7000k = 7,000,000).
oops, right 7000'(not k) of climbing. doesn't seem so bad now, after all. Still, this week on Strava only a little over 7000 (feet ). doing it in one day should be interesting.

Last edited by cuda; 08-14-2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:57 PM

I am pretty sure that 7k is actually an underestimated number of elevation for the 100k ride. It is a challenging ride for sure, but one of the best I have experienced.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2022, 08:27 PM
aka RAEKWON

Yeah its true I think its closer to 8k than 7k
Old 08-15-2022, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Yes!

This is excellent D2 strategy!

I’ll roll with you guys around 8. It’s been a roller coaster summer for me. Someone bring a tow cable!