Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2022, 12:26 AM

Cool watch, thanks for posting it
Old 08-17-2022, 04:13 AM

Waaay too complicated for me... The order of steps to follow bears a massive "back to square one and redo" potential. Building a bike like this requires a professional training plus an extra set of special tools.
Time consuming, prone to failure, expensive tools. #notafan

Last edited by tabasco; 08-17-2022 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco View Post
Waaay too complicated for me... The order of steps to follow bears a massive "back to square one and redo" potential. Building a bike like this requires a professional training plus an extra set of special tools.
I mean, it is a pro bike build for a pro at the top of the sport. So, to be expected. Let's compare to F1.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I mean, it is a pro bike build for a pro at the top of the sport. So, to be expected. Let's compare to F1.
Agree 100%. However, I enjoyed the clip with the eyes of a recreational cyclist who builds up and maintains his bikes. Knowing that these F1-sort of bikes are available for the public I can only guess how much extra $ these new technologies create for the workshops of the dealer.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Times what, 80-90 team bikes++(post number 33)?No wonder the team wrenches are tired all the time and drink a lot when they are 'off'....
Quote:
Let's compare to F1.
K, large team, maybe what 4-6 cars...570+ people and multi-MILLION$ budget
https://onestopracing.com/how-do-f1-teams-work/

BUT, with a 'sponsored' team, the wrenches have a legion of outside 'industry' help, from pedals to bearings to the frame itself(which is the most visible to the 'crowds'). It's important the bike 'works', cuz if it doesn't, the 'crowds' only see the BIG name on the downtube and
-break on Sunday and buy something else on Monday...even if that doesn't really make sense.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-17-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:19 AM

When I watch the video all I think is that bikes have because big business. Proprietary parts for the frame and fork and components.

If you you want to make aftermarket parts you better get out of the way of the big boys. They’re going design you out of business.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:28 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Times what, 80-90 team bikes++(post number 33)?No wonder the team wrenches are tired all the time and drink a lot when they are 'off'....
Hey OP --- As a wrench, did you ever really *need* a reason?
Old 08-17-2022, 07:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
Hey OP --- As a wrench, did you ever really *need* a reason?
HA...good shops always have a frig..Jim at Vecchio's even bought a hotdog roller..great for FAC, that starts at about 4pm...
Old 08-17-2022, 08:08 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
HA...good shops always have a frig..Jim at Vecchio's even bought a hotdog roller..great for FAC, that starts at about 4pm...
we need a post from you about how shops can go back to being cool places to hang out and talk bikes. The past few years, the shops I've been in seem to have dried up in personality....ultra-clean floors with all the bikes polished and in their slots...right at the front door is the most-expensive carbon fiber full suspension ready to shock $10k out of somebody. Then the owners/staff are so stiff from Karen and her community committee checking in on them a little too regular.

Last edited by josephr; 08-17-2022 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
we need a post from you about how shops can go back to being cool places to hang out and talk bikes. The past few years, the shops I've been in seem to have dried up in personality....ultra-clean floors with all the bikes polished and in their slots...right at the front door is the most-expensive carbon fiber full suspension ready to shock $10k out of you. Then the owners/staff are so stiff from Karen and her community committee checking in on them a little too regular.
Don't know but I think a shop who hasn't gone to the trekspecializedgiantcannondale dark side..or one that does mostly wrenching, with benches 'out' instead of sequestered 'in the back'...Tying a shop's horse to one of the 'big boys' wagons, and their in and outside 'reptiles'(reps), brings with it a certain amount of interference and scrutiny. If ya don't do that, then the shop can decide the what/where/whos they want.

My 'business model' when I started Vecchio's was.
5-6 car dealers, 25 or so car repair places. Hoshi Motors(Honda), Indian Peaks(VW/Audi), Swedish Motors(Volvo), East of Sweden(next door down, just east of Swedish), Saab, Pinson(older US iron)...type thing.

And none of those were the pristine, use the labor rate book, type places...
Old 08-18-2022, 03:58 AM

Quote:
...Then the owners/staff are so stiff from Karen and her community committee checking in on them a little too regular.
What´s the point with Karen...? As a German I do not get the point here; what is / does a "community committee" ??
Old 08-18-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
What´s the point with Karen...? As a German I do not get the point here; what is / does a "community committee" ??
That’s funny — I’m sure you have quite a few in Germany. A Karen is American slang for what I think you would call a Wichtigtuer, a busybody. The person who is always complaining to the authorities, or the city council, or the “community committee” about how you are not complying with rules or regulations, or you’re making too much noise, or your customers are drinking beer in front of the shop (as the case may be), etc. etc.