Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2022, 11:52 AM

That is a very cool bike. At first glance I thought it was a Colnago Master and was baffled by the seat cluster, but I see it's even better!

I think it would be highly unlikely that any type of event would render the top tube routing unusable but you are correct to take it slow and steady. If there is a nearly broken and disintegrated outer cable inside the top tube, I think worst case is it will break and you'll be left with some loose pieces rattling around in the top tube. I have a couple of frames with loose bits like that and the only time you hear the rattle is when the frame is picked up and moved around, nothing while riding. similar worst case is cable breaks off in the top tube fitting, but then it can be just reamed out. Leave that brake cable in there, that's your life line and ultimately a new outer cable will go on over top of that. I would try rotating cable rather than fore and aft motion to remove first. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2022, 04:08 AM

Ok, the housing when out, a month after I started "the operation". Honestly, I almost lost all hope, after trying diffferent WD40 and related lubricants, in all kind of bike positions.
I even called Contini, the frame brand. This is a Spanish store that sold frames under their name, probably made in Italy under their design suggestions. The owner told me that some frames had the housing "free" through the top tube, while others had a guide going all along the internal tube. I arrived to the conclusion that my frame had probably the internal guide, which made everything a bit more complicated (more rust to remove)
The store told me to start pulling the metallic spiral, with the hope that this way all the housing would come out. This proved initially unsuccessful, until I tried the trick that finally worked. My mother (!!) suggested me to apply regular vinegar to the rusty part, and it worked! A few ml through the housing opening, left it overnight and then I managed to get the housing out by pulling carefully from the housing spiral.
Obviously the internal guide is completely rusted and a new housing is not passing through, so I am planning to clean the guide using WD40 and a threaded steel bar.
Finally I can see the end of the restoration I can't believe how hard it has been to disassemble this bike: seems to be mounted using superglue instead of grease; everything has been a fight (particularly the crankset)
Old 08-14-2022, 05:36 AM

This is what I have for Contini in my Used Bike Guide: Glad you got it fixed. Nice looking bike.

CONTINI: Bologna, Italy.

CONTINI: La Cruz, 31192 Mutilva Baja (Navarra - Spain), 34) 948.249.573

Old 08-14-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
This is what I have for Contini in my Used Bike Guide: Glad you got it fixed. Nice looking bike.

CONTINI: Bologna, Italy.

CONTINI: La Cruz, 31192 Mutilva Baja (Navarra - Spain), 34) 948.249.573

This is the CONTINI from Navarra, Spain. I hope it helps.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:26 AM

Pretty rad you finally got the housing out
Old 08-17-2022, 01:47 AM

More vinegar through the guide tube should clean it out, if the vinyl covering of the old housing isn't still stuck in there(?).
Old 08-17-2022, 08:43 AM

Given that the internal tube is going to be curved, I don't think a straight threaded rod is going to do much besides mar the inside of the tube.

I would use a .22 Caliber Boresnake... provided you can get some type of twine or wire through the tube to help get the boresnake started. It's a gun cleaning tool that is basically a wool rope with a brass scrubber on the end. You soak it with solvent/CLR/oil and pull it repeatedly through whatever "bore" you're trying to clean.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:08 PM

So finally good news, as I managed to solve all the niggles and mount everything.
Finally I managed to install a triple cranckset 50/40/30 and 12-29 cassette with a medium cage derailleur, so it's possible in case someone wonders.
I'll try to upload some pictures tomorrow using the laptop. Using the phone it's too annoying.

Last edited by nachetetm; 10-31-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:31 PM
tʌɪˈteɪniəm

I'd run a cable through it first, keeps everything together
Old 10-30-2022, 09:22 AM

I look forward to the pictures, that's a classy ride.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:12 AM

Great story of saving such a delicate-looking bike without having to use brutal means. Looking forward to seeing photos.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:04 PM

Here we go!

Please, ignore the handlebar upwards orientation. I'm still working the fit, but after a 50 km ride today, that would not be too difficult to address properly.

Pictures have a weird indoor light, but today I didn't have much time to take outdoor pictures: those will need to wait. Pity, because it shines like a jewel, both silver gear and the cromovelato paint. Really gorgeous.

Passing the brake housing through the inner tube was almost impossible. Finally, a compressionless jagwire housing made the trick, being substantially more rigid than the campagnolo ones. Hence the different color in housings, though I kind of like it that way.

Front derailleur works flawlessly. I can't say the same about the rear: I can't avoid it to skip sprockets when going down the cassette without screwing the tuning for going up sprocket size. I lubed the brifter and improved a bit, but not enough. Next step, checking hanger alignment. I hope I do not need to rebuilt the brifter, it seems a bit hesitant sometimes.

Other than that, very happy with how everything went.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20221029215421.jpg (89.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20221029215527.jpg (85.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20221029215536.jpg (64.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20221029215548.jpg (81.9 KB, 158 views)
Old 10-31-2022, 12:44 PM

Very nice!

I just partially restored a Contini as well. Took a long time getting seized adjustable BB cup and stem out and then having to re-tap a Swiss threaded BB to BSA.

I still have to tweak fork and rear drop outs for alignment.
My frame has an oddity: the top tube is not horizontal, it slopes down towards the head tube about a centimeter! First time I’ve ever seen anything like it in a vintage steel road bike.

Ignore my low angled levers in photo below, I too was playing with position when pic was snapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachetetm View Post
Here we go!

Please, ignore the handlebar upwards orientation. I'm still working the fit, but after a 50 km ride today, that would not be too difficult to address properly.

Pictures have a weird indoor light, but today I didn't have much time to take outdoor pictures: those will need to wait. Pity, because it shines like a jewel, both silver gear and the cromovelato paint. Really gorgeous.

Passing the brake housing through the inner tube was almost impossible. Finally, a compressionless jagwire housing made the trick, being substantially more rigid than the campagnolo ones. Hence the different color in housings, though I kind of like it that way.

Front derailleur works flawlessly. I can't say the same about the rear: I can't avoid it to skip sprockets when going down the cassette without screwing the tuning for going up sprocket size. I lubed the brifter and improved a bit, but not enough. Next step, checking hanger alignment. I hope I do not need to rebuilt the brifter, it seems a bit hesitant sometimes.

Other than that, very happy with how everything went.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EEBCDF2B-5A95-4EAA-B323-D477470AD0CD.jpg (108.5 KB, 141 views)
Old 10-31-2022, 01:57 PM
tʌɪˈteɪniəm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero85ZEN View Post
Very nice!

I just partially restored a Contini as well. Took a long time getting seized adjustable BB cup and stem out and then having to re-tap a Swiss threaded BB to BSA.

My frame has an oddity: the top tube is not horizontal, it slopes down towards the head tube about a centimeter! First time I’ve ever seen anything like it in a vintage steel road bike.

Ignore my low angled levers in photo below, I too was playing with position when pic was snapped.
the angle of your levers is bad ass! love it. aero machine
Old 10-31-2022, 03:22 PM

Beautiful bike, yours too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero85ZEN View Post
Very nice!