Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2021, 03:48 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
He wouldn't ticket me because he was unsure of his radar calibration for a bicycle.
True story, albeit from many years ago: I have on two separate occasions successfully fought a speeding ticket by going to court and requesting either (or both) the certificate of calibration for the radar equipment that was used to identify me as a speeder, or the document which certifies that the arresting officer had succesfully completed the training required to operate said radar equipment.

I know, I'm a dick.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:01 PM

Ticketing cyclists is always lazy and reactive. Usually something happens, so the police go out and issue the most tickets possible with the least possible effort. In NYC and Toronto that means going to the place where thousands of cyclists ride every day without incident and hide near downhills and bust people on the technicality even tho there is no dangerous behavior. Then the cops hit their quota and eff off and pretend like they did something.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing more ticketing along the Martin Goodman trail in Toronto - it's basically a bike highway around the CNE and further west, even tho it's full of kids and dogs trying to cross from the parking lots.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:19 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Ticketing can be pretty aggressive in NYC, but I've never heard of or seen it in parks.
cops sit at the 72nd transverse all the time waiting for people to run the red at tavern during commuting hours. this happens every summer.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:11 PM
new day rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
If you are just nice and honest with the officer, they let you go.

Bull-****ing-****!

Let me guess - you're a white guy, look middle to upper middle class, over 50?

Your experience is not what many, MANY people experience when they are pulled over while driving a vehicle. I say this as a frm pub defender that's seen a lot of police body and dash cam.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexihnen View Post
No. Everyone speeds. Everyone. Everyone at some point fails to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Everyone. All of us. Without exception. And yes, I would be perturbed if I got a speeding ticket going 37mph in a 35. Or maybe 68mph in a 65. But the officer would correct. The idea that anyone wouldn’t recognize this just shows how we all do it, probably everyday.
This is just a crazy rationalization of a behavior (not necessarily yours but I assume?) - there's plenty of people who don't speed (maybe depends on where you live?). When you follow the law your bumper gets ridden and people expect you to be 100 years old. But not everyone does -- and actually I think saying everyone does just reinforces people thinking it's okay to do so.

Last edited by retropean; 07-27-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:40 PM

As a bike messenger i have received 1 ticket in 20 years of riding, for running a red light some 15 years ago or so. Have been pulled over 3 times the last year alone so they have been steeping up their check ups on bikes over here but i managed to escape without a ticket. Usually when u are nice and u are not caught doing something really stupid they have been kind enough to let me off the hook. One can run a red light in a lot of different ways.

Most my collegues gets at least a ticket a year some gets 5.. One gots to keep an eye out for them sirens to.

I do a lot of law braking on my bike. I would likely change a bit if i were given a ticket more often. I do a lot less law braking when im in my car (well i do speed quite often if im beeing honest) simply because i see it as a much bigger chance of danger to myself and others when braking the law in a car.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz-t View Post
Bull-****ing-****!

Your experience is not what many, MANY people experience when they are pulled over while driving a vehicle. I say this as a frm pub defender that's seen a lot of police body and dash cam.
Your statement is not correct.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:32 PM
new day rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando
If you are just nice and honest with the officer, they let you go.

I was doing around 130 out West and when he pulled me over, he asked how fast I was going. "I said that I had no idea but I was really flying. I was moving good, nobody on the road in the desert" He asked where the radar detector was. "It is hidden How do you know I have a radar detector?" "When I turned the gun on, your headlights dipped to the ground, and all that stuff in the front seat used to be in the back seat, and please step out.....look at your glowing rotors". I am sorry, I was really flying. Just go a warning and asked to keep it below 90. Welcomed me to the state.
Quote:
Bull-****ing-****!

Quote:
Your statement is not correct.
Which part? My guess as to your demographic profile? What part did I get wrong?

Don't tell me that "nice and honest with the officer" gets you a get out of jail (or ticket) free card because that is complete bull**** like I said before.

Have I ever gotten a warning instead of a ticket while driving? Yes.

Do I look like what I described above? Again, yes.

Have I seen *many* occasions where the driver that did not fit this demographic profile but acted politely to a police office get treated much worse? OH HELL YEAH.

Your one time anecdote is a flimsy basis for your advice and it's also disingenuous to tell me "your statement is not correct" without pointing out my error.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Which part? My guess as to your demographic profile? What part did I get wrong?

Don't tell me that "nice and honest with the officer" gets you a get out of jail (or ticket) free card because that is complete bull**** like I said before.

Have I ever gotten a warning instead of a ticket while driving? Yes.

Do I look like what I described above? Again, yes.

Have I seen *many* occasions where the driver that did not fit this demographic profile but acted politely to a police office get treated much worse? OH HELL YEAH.

Your one time anecdote is a flimsy basis for your advice and it's also disingenuous to tell me "your statement is not correct" without pointing out my error.
Many aspects but you seem to angry and triggered, so, please accept my apology.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Bull-****ing-****!

+100000 percent, I spend half of the year in Atlanta and can assure you, his statement is not correct. I’d like to know his experience in the Deep South!
Old 07-27-2021, 08:30 PM
new day rising

Quote:
Many aspects but you seem to angry and triggered, so, please accept my apology.
I'm not angry and I'm not "triggered", but I do get annoyed when people spout generalizations that are at best misguided and particularly when they say that someone else is 'incorrect' but don't have the courtesy to say how or why that person is 'incorrect'.

Don't apologize, unless it's for being passive/aggressive and calling me names. Just tell me how I'm 'incorrect' and be specific.

Obviously you don't owe me the time of day, but *you* seem to have opinions on a number of non-bicycle related topics that are based solely on your own anecdotal experiences without acknowledging they are *opinions* so maybe you can find the time to explain why I am "incorrect" on this topic.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:35 PM
new day rising

FWIW: It's not a good idea to lie to a police officer, but you are under no obligation to be 'honest'.

In fact, it's best not to say anything at all. Especially acknowledging or agreeing with the officer or volunteering anything.

and disclaimer: this is not legal advice and I am not your attorney. Just trying to provide some not so common-sense information.

My apologies for the tangent from the cycling ticket topic.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post

I actually wouldn't mind seeing more ticketing along the Martin Goodman trail in Toronto - it's basically a bike highway around the CNE and further west, even tho it's full of kids and dogs trying to cross from the parking lots.
Especially this year with construction on the queensway. Living in parkdale I stay on the trail for as short as distance as possible, the number of people can be crazy.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I'm not angry and I'm not "triggered", but I do get annoyed when people spout generalizations that are at best misguided and particularly when they say that someone else is 'incorrect' but don't have the courtesy to say how or why that person is 'incorrect'.

Don't apologize, unless it's for being passive/aggressive and calling me names. Just tell me how I'm 'incorrect' and be specific.

Obviously you don't owe me the time of day, but *you* seem to have opinions on a number of non-bicycle related topics that are based solely on your own anecdotal experiences without acknowledging they are *opinions* so maybe you can find the time to explain why I am "incorrect" on this topic.
Your bigoted language clearly violated the user agreement and is clearly incorrect. Other aspects of your assumptions are wrong. Your foul language is wrong but who the heck am I to correct you for language that I have used on this forum, language that has deservedly earned me time outs.

I thought you would just it go if I said I was sorry. Since you called me disingenuous and did not let it, how about you go look up the word "incorrect" in the dictionary because it covers both aspects of what I said.

I do support the police and think the vast majority do a great and noble job and I also think like most professions, there are a few bad apples but to smear all of them like you did is wrong. Maybe your clients had records or were mouthing off or didn't have their hands on the wheel with the interior dome lights on for the police when they were pulled over. Showing a little respect towards police can go a long way.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:56 AM

I always enjoy any thread that involves the police. It never takes long for it to become truth serum

Last edited by Nomadmax; 07-28-2021 at 06:18 AM.