Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
May be onto something here. One data point, but I've got a set of Core bibs going on season #3 that are still in excellent shape. But I only hand wash with one of those "sensitive" detergents.
I can almost guarantee that I'm on the money with this one. I went through a few pairs of PT bibs in under a year and complained, they sorted me out and I switched detergent. Bonus is its kinder on all of your other clothes too.

I now get 2-3 years out of the same bibs doing 15-20 thousand km a year on 3 sets of shorts. Lots of use and lots of washing.

I don't handwash either. Just a gentle cycle on cold.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:59 PM
v a n i l l a

Use a wash bag too to keep everything for getting stretched
Old 03-18-2021, 08:32 AM

A few data points: I hand wash all of my bike clothes with whatever detergent I happen to have around. I've only seen that type of deterioration a few times in many years of cycling. It does not seem to be correlated to cheap/expensive clothing. Worst case was a lovely pair of fairly high end EtxeOndo bibs that went south after just a couple years (I have cheap 10 year old Santini bibs that still look great....).
Old 03-18-2021, 08:37 AM

Mine did that too. Which is fine cause the Core bibs suck anyway.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:21 AM

I got some core stuff when they first released it, and promptly sent it back.

It did not look or feel or fit like Rapha at all to me. I'm glad I didnt keep them.

I have a pair of classic bibs that must be 10 years old now, still intact and comfortable.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the replies here. I got in touch with support who were very receptive to the issue and then I went to my local clubhouse and exchanged the Core bib for a Pro Team bib and paid the difference on top.

Let's see how long this one lasts.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:33 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
I've occasionally seen spandex type materials from various brands deteriorate in a similar way. Sometimes on high-end products that were not even used very much (e.g. EtxeOndo). My theory is that it isn't due to improper washing with magic Assos detergent or any kind of abuse. Some of these materials may incorporate latex (or some kind of rubber) into the fabric and that is subject to deterioration by ozone in the environment.
I have some Voler shorts that I like that have deteriorated on the outer thigh like OP's shorts. It's apparently some kind of coating. I have thought about reaching out to them to find which models of their shorts use a similar fabric so I can avoid buying them. I didn't ride these shorts very much. I usually hand wash, but I may have washed them on wool cycle more than once. Still not a product I want to buy. They fit so well I'm relegating them to trainer duty.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:57 AM

Idk I have two pairs of core bibs in rotation that experience heavy usage, washed every week. One pair is a year old and has no wear and tear while the other is too new to tell.

They are decent bibs for the price especially the cargo.

They typically aren’t what I grab first for long rides but have served me just fine for those as needed.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:20 PM

Typical RAPHA "junk" .. I had a pair of their top line PRO TEAM bibs and those did the same thing after about a season (maybe a little longer).
Happened on 2 pairs that I had - became sheer....

When I contacted Rapha, they said it was some sort of lotion or chamois creme that was causing the material to degrade. I pointed to the area (near my hip) and told them chamois creme is not applied to the hips ....
They did step up and ship me another pair which I quickly re-sold.
That was my LAST interaction and "purchase" from them.

NOT a RAPHA fanboy in ANYWAY ...
I've stayed away from them ever since ....
Old 08-16-2022, 01:21 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I have several Pro Team bibs and all are excellent and long wearing. No issues with them.
I had issue with a pair of Core bibs but Rapha took care of me.
Solid products and they stand behind their products, with free shipping and returns.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:11 PM

I have a pair of the Core bibs and they are holding up OK. The leg openings are getting a little stretched out, and since day one I have never loved the pad. But they seem pretty normal quality for $100 or whatever they cost.

I have other Rapha items (mostly Classic jerseys and the Core rain jacket) and they are all pretty great. YMMV.

KJ
Old 08-16-2022, 07:26 PM

Delicate wash cycle, no heat dry. But that said, I don't wear anything but Assos and some stuff is going on 10 years. Castelli is ok, but their lycra and logos are nowhere near the quality. Rapha? Style statement.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:31 PM

How did the OP get that picture of MY core bibs? The core stuff is not good.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I have some Voler shorts that I like that have deteriorated on the outer thigh like OP's shorts. It's apparently some kind of coating. I have thought about reaching out to them to find which models of their shorts use a similar fabric so I can avoid buying them. I didn't ride these shorts very much. I usually hand wash, but I may have washed them on wool cycle more than once. Still not a product I want to buy. They fit so well I'm relegating them to trainer duty.
This has been my exact experience with Voler bibs. I've stopped buying them after a custom order included bib that lasted one season before that hazy deterioration. The jerseys have been great though.

I'm glad I saw this thread--was going to order some more value oriented bibs, but may spend more to get ones that last.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
How did the OP get that picture of MY core bibs? The core stuff is not good.
No! those were mine..... I have found that their shorts/bibs are very comfortable but like the pictures are rapidly revealing. It really is pretty unacceptable.

I find it rather remarkable that some Rapha products are fabulous and some are like these. Hard to tell which are which from just pictures, though, so threads like these help avoid threads like those....