Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2021, 07:04 PM

Not to worry, Rapha can just highly curate reviews and then reup the item listing as "New Season". Clean slate. No problem!
Old 03-16-2021, 09:01 PM

OP, are you using any delicates 'net mesh bags' for washing machines, cold water and gentle cycle, ... or are you truly handwashing these?

no dryer right, just hang dry ?
Old 03-16-2021, 09:39 PM

Love my Rapha Classics

Sorry to hear about the poor durability of the Rapha Core bibs. However, like others, I have been very impressed with Rapha Classics. I buy two new pairs every five years. Though my 10 year olds are faded, you still can’t see through them.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4151zero View Post
OP, are you using any delicates 'net mesh bags' for washing machines, cold water and gentle cycle, ... or are you truly handwashing these?

no dryer right, just hang dry ?
I may have washed my bibs in the washing machine (without a net mesh bag but cold and gentle) a couple of times and always hanged it to dry. For me, the wear is in places where there is rub when I'm riding...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emckee1 View Post
Attachment 1698021211

I purchased 2 pairs of the Rapha core bib shorts a few years back and have worn them very sparingly since. I noticed early on they were beginning to break down and they got pushed to the back of the drawer. Recently, I pulled out the pair shown here and was surprised to see how they have further deteriorated. I shared this with Rapha Customer Service, but was told this reflected normal wear and tear.

Anybody had similar experience with the core line? I have never had issues with the higher end Rapha bibs but was quite disappointed in these.
I had the exact same issue with my core bib shorts bought a couple years ago. When I contacted Rapha, I was told this was a problem that's now fixed and offered a voucher that partially covered the cost. Interestingly, I own a separate pair of core shorts (non-bib) that have been in use much longer but never developed the same problem.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:35 AM

I've occasionally seen spandex type materials from various brands deteriorate in a similar way. Sometimes on high-end products that were not even used very much (e.g. EtxeOndo). My theory is that it isn't due to improper washing with magic Assos detergent or any kind of abuse. Some of these materials may incorporate latex (or some kind of rubber) into the fabric and that is subject to deterioration by ozone in the environment. The same way our tires get cracked and brittle after some years.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
I've occasionally seen spandex type materials from various brands deteriorate in a similar way. Sometimes on high-end products that were not even used very much (e.g. EtxeOndo). My theory is that it isn't due to improper washing with magic Assos detergent or any kind of abuse. Some of these materials may incorporate latex (or some kind of rubber) into the fabric and that is subject to deterioration by ozone in the environment. The same way our tires get cracked and brittle after some years.
That's a good observation. Now that I think of it, I've had similar deterioration in some of the bibs and knickers our team got via Voler a number of years back. The knickers were comfortable but had identical issues to the OP's after during the second season of wear.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emckee1 View Post
Anybody had similar experience with the core line? I have never had issues with the higher end Rapha bibs but was quite disappointed in these.
The first core shorts my wife got lasted 6 months. Rapha sent her another pair and that one lasted 2 rides.

Rapha then gave her credit and she got their windbreaker.

My wife switched back to Castelli.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:33 PM

Just contacted Rapha about my pair that I had ordered just about a year ago. They gave me a voucher equal to the value of the bibs that I had bought!
Old 03-17-2021, 05:00 PM

This is a detergent issue, when you use detergent with 'bio' enzymes it eats the fabric in lots of different types of bibs away.

Rapha recommend using a 'non-bio' or 'sensitive' detergent.

That's a line item in the care instructions, easily overlooked. Previously they had a whole page on the site dedicated to it.

If you write to customer service they'll likely do something to make it right if this is the first time you've complained of the issue.

As for why this doesn't happen with your other bibs with the same detergent - it probably does. When black bibs fade, they aren't actually fading - the material is being worn away eaten by your detergent. This just looks to be a particularly bad case of it!
Old 03-17-2021, 05:06 PM

Email Rapha. I had a pair of core bibs that were separating at the pad. They gave me a voucher for full purchase price and they were over a year old.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:00 PM

Agree re email to customer service - had similar ‘wear’ with core bibs in < 18 months, sent a query with image and got a voucher (approx 50% of cost).

Haven’t had that wear with classic or brevet bibs. Will note that core bibs were really comfortable while they lasted and hope they fixed the issue.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
This is a detergent issue, when you use detergent with 'bio' enzymes it eats the fabric in lots of different types of bibs away.

Rapha recommend using a 'non-bio' or 'sensitive' detergent.
May be onto something here. One data point, but I've got a set of Core bibs going on season #3 that are still in excellent shape. But I only hand wash with one of those "sensitive" detergents.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:45 PM

Another data point, I use Tide detergent for hand washing..

Oh and I used the "chat" feature on Rapha website to get in touch, often quicker!
Old 03-17-2021, 06:52 PM

I had rapha wind vest ,wool long shelve under shirt r.c.c. Thermo Shorts and leggings warmers and a r.c,c, winter jacket about $800.-dollars worth of rapha all cut off me while I lay unconscious with a concussion Sunday befure last .
Cheers

Last edited by Fixed; 03-18-2021 at 12:37 PM.