Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Windrider

Who are you?

Annual tradition on some other boards....this has never been done on this board. Let's finad out about each other.

recommended format-

* real name, if you like Len
* where do you live? Eastern Shore of Maryland....Flat & Windy
* explanation of your handle D'uh
* explanation of your avatar The seat tube cluster on my Legend
* age (general or specific) 49 1/2 50's coming but I feel 25
* occupation Operating Partner for Private Equity firm
* favorite bike Serotta Ottrott
* what's in your stable? Ottrott, Legend, Lemond Buenos Aires, and Gunnar Street Dog Fixie. (Oh Yeah and a Sach's on order 50th birthday present to myself)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 56, western Tennessee 1988 too fast for me
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4,500 I can only ride on weekends....I travel 5 days/week
* picture of yourself or your ride? Don't really have one...I'll see what i can scan
* make up and answer at least one additional question. The most unusual things that I get from riding are creative ideas for short stories. About halfway thru a 3 to 4 hour ride, I don't know If I get delireous, but I start conceiving complex plots for short stories. Some of my best ideas have come thsi way....talk about the miles going by fast.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I'm really a 72 year old retired librarian from Wook, Iowa who has not been outside in 12 years (oh sorry, that was the lie...or was it?)
* and, something fun. Biking from Fairbanks to Anchorage with my oldest daughter....what a blast.
* How did you find the paceline Forum?*

Len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."

Last edited by William; 07-10-2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: * Added by William
Old 12-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Windrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len J
Annual tradition on some other boards....this has never been done on this board. Let's finad out about each other.

recommended format-

* real name, if you like Len
* where do you live? Eastern Shore of Maryland....Flat & Windy
* explanation of your avatar The seat tube cluster on my Legend
* age (general or specific) 49 1/2 50's coming but I feel 25
* occupation Operating Partner for Private Equity firm
* favorite bike Serotta Ottrott
* what's in your stable? Ottrott, Legend, Lemond Buenos Aires, and Gunnar Street Dog Fixie. (Oh Yeah and a Sach's on order 50th birthday present to myself)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 56, western Tennessee 1988 too fast for me
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4,500 I can only ride on weekends....I travel 5 days/week
* picture of yourself or your ride? Don't really have one...I'll see what i can scan
* make up and answer at least one additional question. The most unusual things that I get from riding are creative ideas for short stories. About halfway thru a 3 to 4 hour ride, I don't know If I get delireous, but I start conceiving complex plots for short stories. Some of my best ideas have come thsi way....talk about the miles going by fast.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I'm really a 72 year old retired librarian from Wook, Iowa who has not been outside in 12 years (oh sorry, that was the lie...or was it?)
* and, something fun. Biking from Fairbanks to Anchorage with my oldest daughter....what a blast.

Len
Isn't anyone else going to participate?

Len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 12-10-2004, 08:19 PM

Since I'm new

* real name, Greg
* where do you live? Virginia Beach....Flat & Windy
* explanation of your avatar Not sure how to make one
* age (general or specific) 39 1/2 40's coming but I don't care
* occupation Enginerd
* favorite bike varies by the minute
* what's in your stable? all glue factory canidates, Cdale 3.0, Cdale Beast of East SS set up for road use, K2 evo 4.0
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Don't know I don't have a computer on any of them
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not sure but very few compared to most on here. Maybe a 800 for the year. Hoping to triple it next year
* picture of yourself or your ride? I don't think so
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What is the next bike you want to buy? Every Damn one I see. Is there a cure?
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I won't buy another bike until my 40th B-day in August
* and, something fun. Biking with my 11 y/o and 8 y/o boys and sex with the wife (TMI?)

Greg
Old 12-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Epic=No Smiles

* real name - Christian
* where do you live? - NYC
* explanation of your handle - yeah.
* explanation of your avatar - none
* age (general or specific) - 28
* occupation - Manager for Big 4 Consultancy
* favorite bike - Rivendell Rambouillet
* what's in your stable? - Rivendell Rambouillet, Specialized Sequoia, Pegoretti Palosanto (incoming Tues)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? - 50ish, Fuschertorl, Grossglockner
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? - 4,000ish
* picture of yourself or your ride? www.christianedstrom.com or www.nycc.org ought to cough a few up.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len J
* real name, if you like Greg
* where do you live? Eugene, OR
* explanation of your handle guess, see below if you can't
* explanation of your avatar The lower ST on my Atlanta
* age (general or specific) 43
* occupation Pediatrician
* favorite bike Calfee Tetra Pro
* what's in your stable? Atlanta, Caad7, Merkx 753, Masi 3V, Lemond OCLV, Litespeed Classic, Davidson tandem
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 68, N. Kentucky 1988
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 6,000 by Thanksgiving
* make up and answer at least one additional question. I can get into a real (good) mindset when faced with a stiff headwind. I can suffer...probably from my 18 years spent swimming. 20 pounds ago I used to be a pretty decent climber, now a stubborn wannabe
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told ?
* and, something fun. Oregon coast ride in 1997 was pretty fun to have done....little too much traffic though. There are much better roads to ride in Oregon, though none quite as spectacular.

Len
Old 12-11-2004, 02:28 AM
commuter racer

too many questions....

Real name ...john Miller ( how dull)
Handle....I am a good shino potter. Shino is japanese pottery that i'm fond of
Avatar? the cyclocross series in portland is called the Cross Crusade. And I did my degree project on the Crusades, and I've been drawing Knights since I was a kid.. I'm a cross crusader... My mom is Turkish How Ironic...ha ha
I'm 30....****
Retail clown
I love my cannondale most, caad 4 with Record...also Serotta atlanta, fuji cross. Trek Mountain bike...
fun?? Going to art school in Boston...
Lie.... ha ha...that I graduated! ha ha????
Old 12-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Kevan's Rose

vaxn8r/Greg

Were you out of your mind? 68 mph on a bicycle? What did you do, fall off of a cliff?

I remember reading a recent post of yours, in which you mentioned that you were middle age or something like that. Now I find out that you are 43. What does that make me? Ancient?

Fossil Sandy

68 mph Wow! Double Wow! Triple Wow!

Weren't you man enough to do 70 mph??????
Old 12-11-2004, 08:15 AM

* real name, if you like: Ray
* where do you live? Chester County, PA - between Philly and Wilmington, DE
* explanation of your handle: D'uh
* explanation of your avatar: head tube badge on my Riv - still my favorite ride
* age (general or specific) 45.6
* occupation: Transportation Planner - public transportation, bike, pedestrian specialty
* favorite bike: Rivendell Road - 1998, pre-custom. fits like a glove
* what's in your stable? Riv, Lemond Poprad, Rambouillet, RB-1, MB-2, Bianchi Limited Fixed Gear, others on order!
* fastest speed on a road bike? about 48mph. I was accellerating and would have easily topped 50 near Pittsburg, but too many riders ahead of me forced me to brake.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? about 5000. Fairly typical year.
* picture of yourself or your ride? Got nothing
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Why is there air? To blow up bicycle tires, of course.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told - That bike only cost a couple hundred dollars, honest (told to wife)
* and, something fun. The descent into Robert Treman State Park near Ithica , NY. Great road, great curves, perfect grade. Too much fun!
Old 12-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Helianthus annuus

I should be grading term papers (see occupation) but this is yet another opportunity to do something other than that (see occupation)

* real name, if you like dbrk, say dee-bee-arr-kay
* where do you live? Bristol, New York, the Finger Lakes....Hilly & Windy
* explanation of your handle contraction of my other real name given to me by the University at the near-beginning of the Internet (not the one invented by Al Gore, the other one)
* explanation of your avatar It's cold enough here in spring to be Belgium anytime of the year and I was born in July and lions just hate cold but I do love it here...go figrue
* age (general or specific) 47, I feel alternatively 27 and 97 depending on the day
* occupation college prof, yoga philosophy roadshow
* favorite bike Rivendell, Mariposa, Singer, Herse, Sachs, Cooper, Pegoretti, Hampsten, Serotta...depends on the day but always a 650B would be first out of the door if the house were burning down or something...knock anywhere because the whole house is wood...
* what's in your stable? newest addition: Mariposas, racer and 650B tandem, incoming Rivendell Saluki!! Wooohooo!!!!)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? well over 60mph coming done the Keene Valley road near Lake Placid, bike was a Rivendell, solid as a rock, never a worry...well, sort of...
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Will never own a computer on a bike so I'm not sure...many,many,never enough
* picture of yourself or your ride? scary pictures of how ugly I have become in my middle age from the Tour de FingerLakes...'still picture myself svelte and young in face, neither being true any longner
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What would I do with myself if I didn't have an obsession (not too strong a word) with bicycles? I love my work, it's my life; I love my wife and kids and dog, the requisite "family first" that we all know is true and could not be more cliche, especially in America, but what do _I_ love for selfish me? I love bikes, especially randonneuse and cyclotouristes of the French style and I think about them, well, all the time...
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told Same as Ray's, see above...only many, many more times than Ray has...
* and, something fun. Biked hundreds of miles in India on a Hero Roadster:fenders, lights, swept back bars, like an old Raleigh only waaay worse

d[ouglas]br[oo]k[s]
that's how it came about, I think...but yoga students sometimes call me "doz" as in the yoga world's version of Ozzy, the slightly stupified once talented star gone to seed...
Old 12-11-2004, 09:46 AM
#BikeMafia

* where do you live? Border of OC and LA county in sunny southern cal
* explanation of your handle: some obscure wheel mfr in France combined with the b-date of an ex-gf
* explanation of your avatar: I guess I should get one...my project for 2005
* age (general or specific) 31
* favorite bike: Serotta CSI
* what's in your stable? Ben's ottrott ST, Kirk on the way, Sachs on the way
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 40+...don't remember where.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? don't know...but surely less than most. plus any number I put BlastinBob would call me a liar
* picture of yourself or your ride? Are you kidding? Too many pics of my bikes on this board...considering I go through a bike once a week.
* make up and answer at least one additional question. ?????????
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I can actually climb
* and, something fun. I actually purchased more serottas than Dnovo in 2001
Old 12-11-2004, 09:58 AM

here goes...

recommended format-

* real name, if you like Eddie
* where do you live? Berkeley, CA - a nice place but would be heaven without all the f-ing cars. Marin is close and a beauty too.
* age (general or specific) 54
* occupation - Technical Trainer in Healthcare: Kaiser Permanente now implementing largest computerized medical records system ever done. Previously I was a career consultant/trainer.

* favorite bike: I've spent so much time in the last four years playing with bikes...I like my three just about the same: TST Titanium Stealth, Steve Rex custom steel with Ouzo, and Riv Rambouillet. Each different, each so fine.
* fastest speed on a road bike? I freak at 40.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2k
* make up and answer at least one additional question. I have never had another hobby about which I have been so consumed as these silly bicycles.
* and, something fun. Playin with sea turtles in clear, warm water in Kauai one month ago.

Last edited by eddief; 12-11-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:08 AM

Where do I live: Now in Leesburg, VA. Previously in Switzerland. Want to go back. Lost my job there and came here......

Explanation of handle: Name of the first airliner I flew. Saabs used to make commercial aircraft in addition to cars. The Saab 2000 is NOT a Saab 340 in the same way a Serotta Huffy is not a Murray is NOT a Murray.
Favorite bike: All of them have qualities. My Grandis is high on the list for its good handling.

Fastest speed on a bike: About 40 mph on the flats in some kermesse in Belgium. Was on Eddy Plankaert's wheel at the time. Downhill does not count, but did about 50+ in Switzerland. Raw speed is not what makes a good descender. Handling is it.

What is in my stable: Grandis, Strong, Anvil, Croll (3x), ITCA (obscure Swiss bike), Surly Cross Check.

How many mile last year? No Idea, but I estimate about 5000.

More later..... the battery on this computer will die any minute
Old 12-11-2004, 10:54 AM
oracle

d.b.r.k. :

is it all right if i continue to silently read your name to myself pronounced as "deeburk"? i added the vowels myself, as i have a habit of doing that when i see only consonants, but if it must be 'dee bee arr kay' , then so be it; i can live with that, and i will attempt to adapt to this ever-changing-sea-of-flux that we call a world.

love,
oracle
Old 12-11-2004, 11:07 AM

zap only exist in servers. zap doesn't have a profile but top speed has reached the speed of light when traveling between computers and servers.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:00 PM
nurslet

biggest lie ever told:
rode my bike frequently from muncie to dayton while in college. one time got pulled over by the police for riding on the interstate near the ohio indiana state line. several weeks later rode to traffic court in dayton. I told the judge[acting as my own lawyer] the map shows you have to ride on the interstate in that area. it's the only way. Judge says you are right and suspends fine and court costs. The lie? I know other ways to avoid the interstate I just wanted to get there quicker and so road on the interstate shoulder for a couple of miles.