Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 05:25 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I can totally see this would be the case. But like parallel parking I fear the use it loose it of it all. And my stubborn streak, yada....
With you 100%.....can't believe cars have automated parking now....if you can't park, you should not have a license! Old man rant over.....
Old 08-16-2022, 06:17 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Much faster and less hassle than changing out a tube....

Well, I am lightning fast on a tube swap air up. At least until they started rim changes for tubeless compatibility. Still found fav combos for fast on the road flats etc.

But for me tubular and tubeless seem nearly about the same work, with tubular being more consistently easier between the two.

Tubeless can be extra non easy one combo to the other in just my own experience. Some of what I've read, well I've only had once as bad as I've read. But a few times although not that bad, more hassle than tubular overall. Just gotta wait 12+ hours after done I guess. But probably don't really have to, but I do since I started with a wet last coat.

I have ridden unglued down the street diligently not turning hard if at all to feel new tires. Many many times...

Would I ride that way, like a normal mode ride, I would not.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:15 PM

I find Mastic to viscous for my needs. I generally work out of a 250 gram can of Mastic and I cut it with naphtha before application. Usually about a 5 to l ratio of Mastic to naphtha, allows me to apply a number of thin coats without the excessive bulk and buildup. The naphtha flashes off quickly , once the glue becomes tacky and sets up the rim is ready for another thin coat.

I am usually working with very light Vittoria Pista Oro, Pista Speed or Continental Sonderklasse, Competion track and TT tires. I want my tires firmly attached without bulk/weight and a wave of spongy layer under the tire than needs to be pushed around increasing rolling resistance.

Last edited by m_sasso; 08-16-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
I find Mastic to viscous for my needs. I generally work out of a 250 gram can of Mastic and I cut it with naphtha before application. Usually about a 5 to l ratio of Mastic to naphtha, allows me to apply a number of thin coats without the excessive bulk and buildup. The naphtha flashes off quickly , once the glue becomes tacky and sets up the rim is ready for another thin coat.

I am usually working with very light Vittoria Pista Oro, Pista Speed or Continental Sonderklasse, Competion track and TT tires. I want my tires firmly attached without bulk/weight and a wave of spongy layer under the tire than needs to be pushed around increasing rolling resistance.
Yeah, I agree. But you likely grew up in the Fastack era, as did I. Track tires are a different animal, as they flat less but when they do the opportunity to roll em is much greater.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I am going to try this:

Lite glue already on a used tires, clean 23mm wide rims.

These 36mm will be the fattest tires I have ever glued up, 30mm having been biggest previously.

2 thin applications on wheel, one over existing on tires, mount.

I never get lumps, glops etc. just too many thin layers.

I have decades experience with glues, used to custom build formica displays, and 15 years worth of building guitars.

So I am confident I am not too heavy for light work. Just always made sure glued up as secure as possible. Being 200lb and very aggressive in turns in my early days. old habits die hard etc.
Use a acid/solvent brush..trimmed.Put the glue in a cut off beer can(beer drunk)..THIN coats.

Use a butter knife or something to clean off any glue on rim.
Little acetone on rag, wipe off tire.

Little air in tire(new?)..
-Glue tire
-Glue rim
-Glue tire
-Glue tire
-When glue on tire not sticky(about 15 minutes or so)
-THIN coat on rim-mount unflated tire, center, roll on floor, push at stem.

Air up wee bit..ket set 24 hours, go ride.

You'll get a TON of 'techniques...and lots work. Just don't do the 'glue tire/rim, wait 24 hours' before re-glue and mount' type stuff...no need.

BTW-My favorite glue is Panaracer...Clear, doesn't get thick like Vittoria cans. Hard to fine cans but use tubes instead. Favored by Japanese Keirin dudes.

BUT, well ventilated or you'll "take a trip without leaving the farm"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imoivn4tovin.jpg (6.1 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-17-2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:52 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
BTW-My favorite glue is Panaracer...Clear, doesn't get thick like Vittoria cans. Hard to fine cans but use tubes instead. Favored by Japanese Keirin dudes.

BUT, well ventilated or you'll "take a trip without leaving the farm"...

I will try that glue next... I already use my spray booth mask when I use mastik. Also use when I crossbow FWIW.

I've read folk add naphtha to the Mastik to thin, thought about that too. I have a lot still...