Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 05:57 PM

Santiago at Signature is the real deal. Signature is literally at the Greenwich train station. You don't even need to go outside--downstairs in the first floor of the station building. Further up the New Haven Line, I put my trust in Justin Bagnati at Black Oak Velo, also next to a train station (Old Greenwich). Justin works odd hours, so best to call first. Does late nights as well.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:15 PM

Conrad's and NYC Velo used to be the only 2 'official' campy verified mechs in the city. NYC Velo service though is better at their lower east side location.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:23 PM
welookgood

Thanks, these two were in my head too.
I actually contacted Justin but wanted to figure out in the city first.
Hopefully guys at Conrad can fix all my problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
Santiago at Signature is the real deal. Signature is literally at the Greenwich train station. You don't even need to go outside--downstairs in the first floor of the station building. Further up the New Haven Line, I put my trust in Justin Bagnati at Black Oak Velo, also next to a train station (Old Greenwich). Justin works odd hours, so best to call first. Does late nights as well.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:22 PM
Cat 6

Jinbok- how was your Conrad’s experience?

Funny how people are recommending shops as I would say that a particular mechanic is more important than the actual shop.

I used to go to NYC Velo but when I moved, it was difficult for me to get there. As a consequence I learned a few things that I could do by myself, but there still are a few Campagnolo specific things which I cannot do but also don’t trust anyone else either.

Back in the day, I used to go to Brian at Sid's (before he moved to Denver) and when he left, Tijon (on Brian's recommendation) took over. When they were both gone, I relied on Edgar (solid, honest, and no drama) for most things. All solid mechanics but only Tijon and Brian would I trust to do EPS.

There’s a little shop in Sunset Park called Samba Bicycle. Doesn’t look like much- just a typical LBS but the owner Daniel used to wrench for some of the best shops in NYC. I have gone to him for EPS work (mostly initial bike builds as EPS is user tunable) but it’s far enough to make me look elsewhere for general maintenance. I've had Daniel build and take apart 6 difference frames with EPS over the years though the next one I am going to tackle myself.

Last edited by r_mutt; 09-17-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 05:35 AM

If you ride Campy, improve the overall experience of doing so buy purchasing a few tools and teach your self. It’s really not very complicated and there are many resources including Campy YouTube videos. EPS is the easiest of all gruppos, you likely just need a zero reset and perhaps a micro ride adjustment on the FD.

Otherwise you are at the mercy of average Campy mechanics who work on Shimano and Sram 98% of the time, charge too much and make you wait too long.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinbok View Post
- Eps internal cables rattling.
- chain comes off when I shift up from small ring to big.
(This particular issue somehow couldn’t be solved. Both my eps and mech grouppo. They all said FD is installed/adjusted correctly, chain length is good, but seems like two out of ten times it comes off. Very annoying)
- when bikes (yes bike’s’) leave the shop, shifting isn’t crisp. I just went for a ride after picking my bike up the other day, RD clicks and shifting is no good.
- I felt the rattling on my pedals when I’m coasting on rough roads, took it to the shop, they said the bearings are not set in tight, and PM spider is loose, they tightened it. I still feel the rattles on bb area. This is for mech grouppo.

Some of the issues I’ve been having. And I’ve been to tuned but never been to Maglia Rosa.
Ive been to Tuned, NYC velo, RnA, and Hilltop
-Frame issue?
-Really steep seat tube angle? Might be 'tail up'
-crappy shop, yup
-'bearings not set in tight'? As in crank bolt not tight? Maybe..which frame?
Old 09-18-2023, 10:30 AM

Conrad's has a long track record although I haven't been there since before Covid so who knows. A friend and I haven't had great experiences with Tijon/Tuned in Gowanus. My friend's was Campy-related specifically.

Ilya at Red Beard in DUMBO is great although I don't know how much service work he's doing after closing the retail store.

Finally, I don't have personal experience with Roy's in Sheepshead Bay but they've been around forever and have a loyal clientele. Could be worth investigating.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:14 PM

Conrad’s, Conrad’s, Conrad’s !!!
Old 09-19-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
...I put my trust in Justin Bagnati at Black Oak Velo, also next to a train station (Old Greenwich). Justin works odd hours, so best to call first. Does late nights as well.
Justin closed his shop a few months ago but not sure why.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
I would only bring it to two places. Either Maglia Rosa NYC or Tijon at https://tunedby.square.site.
Both served my Campy mech and EPS multiple times.
Good luck
Echo-ing Maglia Rosa.

Lived and rode in NYC off/on for 8 years - spent a decent amount of saddle time w/ Miguel at Maglia Rosa. He's lovely and a real bike guy, with an affinity towards that coming from the "old country" (Italy). I trust him and his team with Campy stuff; they built a set of wheels for me and they were beautiful in all the ways.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
I would only bring it to two places. Either Maglia Rosa NYC or Tijon at https://tunedby.square.site.
Both served my Campy mech and EPS multiple times.
Good luck
Echo-ing Maglia Rosa.

Lived and rode in NYC off/on for 8 years - spent a decent amount of saddle time w/ Miguel at Maglia Rosa. He's lovely and a real bike guy, with an affinity towards that coming from the "old country" (Italy). I trust him and his team with Campy stuff; they built a set of wheels for me and they were beautiful in all the ways.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:39 PM

I'm not sure why this thread got bumped a year after the OP gave his last reply, but I follow him on IG and believe Conrad's did right by him and solved a number of issues that other shops couldn't solve or even exacerbated. Conrad's FTW! OP, please correct me if I'm misremembering.