Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2022, 02:13 PM

Congrats. Good grinder, too.

I strongly recommend getting the pro tamper and robot hands.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Congrats. Good grinder, too.

I strongly recommend getting the pro tamper and robot hands.
I hear ya. I actually did get the "hands" (machined inserts for the "hands"), and they do make pressing a bit nicer. However, I also found that I like to use the Robot's "hands" for holding the tamper and my wire distribution tool between the espresso making hours.

For those potentially interested in getting an espresso set-up, I highly highly highly recommend the Cafelat Robot. The set-up pictured below got me into playing around with the variables and eventually making really nice tasting espresso, all for ~$600 cap ex, give or take.

I find that doing a careful and consistent puck prep makes a big difference, in particular, the WDT technique made the results hugely more consistent and good. My routine (in photos) is below – cribbed it from a few youtube videos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All manual.jpg (127.6 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg Beans.jpg (77.7 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg WDT.jpg (111.2 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg Post-WDT.jpg (126.2 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg Post-settled.jpg (103.0 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg Tamper.jpg (82.5 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg Post-tamping.jpg (87.4 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg Water.jpg (86.2 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg Espresso.jpg (80.9 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg Puck.jpg (101.7 KB, 364 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 02:35 PM

Hey folks, what is currently the best coffee maker that allows for either a single cup to be made, or a pot, both using your own coffee grounds (no pods)??

I still like my aeropress for one cup, but my wife wants a machine...

Thx!
Old 08-15-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Hey folks, what is currently the best coffee maker that allows for either a single cup to be made, or a pot, both using your own coffee grounds (no pods)??

Thx!
Obviously this is going to be an opinion answers, but here's mine.

First off I need to say that I have an AeroPress, French Press, Pour Over, Cold Brew, and a Bialetti Brikka moka pot; I also have a Turkish system but I'll leave that one out since the flavor is completely different from the others, but it is very good.

Of those 6 the best one is either the Cold Brew, or the Bialetti Brikka according to my taste buds. Just this last Saturday I did a test with my grandson of all those except for the Turkish and the Cold brew systems, I didn't tell him which cup came from which device, I used the same coffee, the same amount of water, and the same amount grinds per weight. He tasted them all and very quickly went for the Bialetti Brikka Moka Pot coffee as being the best, but chose the French Press as the second best. Interesting thing about this test, he chose the exact same one I did!

Having said that, the Pour Over, Bialetti Brikka, and the AeroPress is a bit difficult to get a pot of coffee from one unless you make several batches. The Bialetti Brikka only comes as large as a 4 cup, which is equal to just one cup of coffee! Remember, a cup of coffee in Italy is a lot smaller than a cup in the USA.

That leaves the French Press as the really option for a good strong cup of coffee that you make as little as one cup to as much as 59 ounces of French Press made by a company called Sterling Pro; see:

https://www.amazon.com/French-Double...ag=gbcoffee-20

That French Press option is really the only good option if you want a strong-tasting coffee.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:27 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post

Thx!
Assuming you're looking for an electric coffee maker:

Technivorm Moccamaster - The classic "coffee nerd" coffee maker. Comes in different versions such as KB (manual stop), KBGV (more automatic, full or half pot), or one-cup (self explanatory).

Behmor Brazen - Really nice machine where you can control parameters like pre-brew bloom, brew time, temperature.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:02 PM

I have tried a number of pots - I do like my Aeropress and my Bialetti (stainless steel version), but I have turned back the clocks (like 40 years ago) and re-purchased a Chemex. It comes in a number of sizes and makes a great cup of coffee - So smooth!!!

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...MaAu7nEALw_wcB

Last edited by wc1934; 08-15-2022 at 10:04 PM. Reason: !!!
Old 08-16-2022, 08:46 AM

Miele

I'm looking at a Miele CM5300. Anyone have one? If so what do you think about it? Costco has them for $1049.00. I'm curious if its worth the money.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:12 AM

I have a massive collection of silly coffee stuff that makes generally small batches too.

Aeropress - makes great coffee but always feels like it doesn't make enough coffee

V60 - Overall favorite. Easy, cleans easy, makes great coffee.

Moka Pot - works for psuedo espresso drinks. Not worth it IMO if you're not adding milk. So easy to get really bitter overextracted coffee.

Chemex - what I use if I have to make coffee for 3-4 people. A lot like the V60 in principle but tastes different

Flair - Makes a double shot of very good espresso, lots of work. PITA for more than 2 people. Kind of a performance art if you do make someone espresso with it. Cheap, reliable, amazingly ability to dial it in, and ultra easy to keep clean though. The whole performance takes less time than a big expensive machine takes to heat up though, so maybe it's no so slow though.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I have a massive collection of silly coffee stuff that makes generally small batches too.

Moka Pot - works for psuedo espresso drinks. Not worth it IMO if you're not adding milk. So easy to get really bitter overextracted coffee.

You are correct about a standard Moka pot, I use to have till it broke, but man it was difficult to control it exactly correct, and a lot of the time I got over extracted coffee.

HOWEVER, the Bialetta Brikka while it looks like a standard Moka pot from the outside, they installed some sort of pressure valve in the tube where the coffee comes out and into the top "pitcher" part, this pressure valve makes it very, check that, EXTREMELY easy to make perfect Moka Pot coffee every single time without fail! In fact, the Brikka coffee even taste better than a perfect cup of regular Moka coffee, it's much closer to a real Italian espresso than a standard Moka Pot is. A standard Moka pot, when made perfectly, was similar to a French Press in my opinion.

I took a chance buying that Bialetta Brikka, so I got it from Amazon. If I kept having the same up and down experience making coffee with it like I did with the regular Moka pot, I was going to return it, which is why I got it from Amazon. But much to my surprise, the Brikka works extremely well, it is now my favorite method of making coffee, and I don't have to go to an Italian coffee bar once a month or so to get my espresso fix because the Brikka makes it so close.

I had the regular Moka Pot for several years, I watched all sorts of YouTube videos, and read countless internet sites on how to make a perfect Moka coffee, and I got spotty results. I kept fooling with it thinking someday I would get right and be able to do it consistently get good results, nope, but I do now with the Brikka. It's as easy as reading the instructions that come with the Brikka, no need to watch hundreds of videos, no need to read countless internet sites, Bialetta spells it out as to how to do it.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:18 AM

Help please

I just bought a MoccaMaster and really like it. out Cuisinart Grind and brew died after 10 years and I instinctively bought a new one same same right? wrong didn't work right so the longevity and simplicity of the moccamaster appeals to me.
But I can't seem to get the same flavor out of the coffee the Cuisinart did we have the grinds on medium. 1st time it was smooth but had a turpentine flavor I think it just had too much coffee in there so I back that that down to grind less coffee. so this afternoon's coffee I'm going to change the medium grind at 15 to a 13

any other suggestions? thanks
Old 08-20-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
You are correct about a standard Moka pot, I use to have till it broke, but man it was difficult to control it exactly correct, and a lot of the time I got over extracted coffee.

HOWEVER, the Bialetta Brikka while it looks like a standard Moka pot from the outside, they installed some sort of pressure valve in the tube where the coffee comes out and into the top "pitcher" part, this pressure valve makes it very, check that, EXTREMELY easy to make perfect Moka Pot coffee every single time without fail! In fact, the Brikka coffee even taste better than a perfect cup of regular Moka coffee, it's much closer to a real Italian espresso than a standard Moka Pot is. A standard Moka pot, when made perfectly, was similar to a French Press in my opinion.

I took a chance buying that Bialetta Brikka, so I got it from Amazon. If I kept having the same up and down experience making coffee with it like I did with the regular Moka pot, I was going to return it, which is why I got it from Amazon. But much to my surprise, the Brikka works extremely well, it is now my favorite method of making coffee, and I don't have to go to an Italian coffee bar once a month or so to get my espresso fix because the Brikka makes it so close.

I had the regular Moka Pot for several years, I watched all sorts of YouTube videos, and read countless internet sites on how to make a perfect Moka coffee, and I got spotty results. I kept fooling with it thinking someday I would get right and be able to do it consistently get good results, nope, but I do now with the Brikka. It's as easy as reading the instructions that come with the Brikka, no need to watch hundreds of videos, no need to read countless internet sites, Bialetta spells it out as to how to do it.
I can't get mine to work - tried it 5 times and it is now tucked away in the back of the cupboard. The top is totally open (by design), but hot coffee spurts out of that opening - total mess - hot coffee everywhere.
Purchased the stainless steel Bialetti for when I want an espresso.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:13 PM

New tamper

Old hub with broken flange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
New tamper

Old hub with broken flange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks awesome!

Who made the modifications to the hub?
Old 09-16-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
That looks awesome!

Who made the modifications to the hub?
I met a guy on a FB forum who had posted a hub he had done for himself so after a chat I posted him my broken hub. He did a lovely job, I couldn’t be happier.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:14 PM

That’s awesome!

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso