Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2024, 06:40 PM

Are there road/gravel 1x chainrings offset outboard?

Trying/struggling to build up a Giant Revolt, that I picked up as a frameset. I have lots of SRAM/Shimano power meter cranks on hand, but all for normal road chainlines. Apparently the frame only works with GRX/SRAM Wide chainring spacing. Unfortunately the amount of money I'd need to spend to get a new crankset/chainring/power meter in the wider spacing is quite the expensive proposition.

What I'd like is just a chainring that sits further outboard. These seem to be common for direct mount cranks, but not spider based. I can get the chainring clearance I need if I mount my Wolf Tooth chainring backwards, but because of their asymmetrical tooth profile, this performs quite poorly.

Are there any chainrings out there that will sit further out, or do I just have to bite the bullet and buy a new crankset, chainrings, and power meter?
Old 05-23-2024, 06:46 PM

Weird thought, but I wonder if you can use washers. Might look ****ty, might not even be noticeable?

Other thought is that if any of your SRAM cranks are BB30, they came in different length spindles, perhaps you could try swapping in one of those.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:24 PM

For whatever it's worth, I was looking for a way to move a 1x chainring farther out on a 110 bcd 5 bolt sram crankset. It seemed to me that the only options were chainring bolt washers or, as you know, Dub Wide, etc.

I didn't want to use spacers, so found a well-priced used wide crankset/BB.. This doesn't mean there's no chainring w/ offset outboard--just that I didn't find one.

Here's the thread in case any of it is relevant:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=305725
Old 05-23-2024, 08:45 PM

You say road chain line, so it’s a 2x crank? Couldn’t you just put it up on the outer ring position?

Wolftooth has a chainring that sits 2mm inboard towards the frame, the idea being it sits on the outer ring position.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane4XC View Post
You say road chain line, so it’s a 2x crank? Couldn’t you just put it up on the outer ring position?

Wolftooth has a chainring that sits 2mm inboard towards the frame, the idea being it sits on the outer ring position.
It is, but the wolf tooth chainring is offset inboard by about 1mm. That's why I get more clearance when I flip it, but then the teeth are in the wrong orientation.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:09 PM

https://ratiotechnology.com/product/...-bolt-110-bcd/

According to these guys, it’s in line with the mount. Wolftooth claims 2mm inboard, might get you 2mm more clearance?