Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2024, 05:11 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
It wasn’t an option not too long ago and we had a whole lot more choices and better bike shops locally then not owned by specialized or trek. It is just a suggestion for debate looking at the larger picture and not just CC.
I don't think there is a time where I have had more options in cycling that are easy to get at prices I will pay.

Again- you are chastising people for buying from one type of online vendor instead of a specific different online vendor. That is just funny to me.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:15 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
I like it when guys riding $10k bikes can’t buy a couple of tires from their local dealer.
Can't as in won't? If you aren't in a hurry, why buy a gp5k for $85 when you can easily buy it for $45-55 online?
The value of a local store is immediate availability. The downside is less selection and higher prices.
The value of online is more selection and lower prices. The downside is delayed availability.

This is all pretty simple stuff. Everyone then chooses what balance between local store and online purchasing they want for themselves.
This is no different from 30 and 40 years ago with discount catalog retailers vs local store retailers.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I don't think there is a time where I have had more options in cycling that are easy to get at prices I will pay.

Again- you are chastising people for buying from one type of online vendor instead of a specific different online vendor. That is just funny to me.
It is kinda funny to me as well
Old 04-20-2024, 05:36 PM

Nm…wot.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 04-20-2024 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:04 AM

I know that some cycling things can be pretty cheap on Amazon. Plus many times if in a large metro area it can be there the same day or next day. Very hard to beat when a ride suddenly depends on what you ordered.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:21 AM

Bummer... I've bought a few things from Colorado Cyclist and Planet Cyclery. They had good deals pretty often.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
Hate to see it but I’ll contribute to their final cash flow. Got a Red AXS cassette for $150 and a Red AXS chain for $30 which I’ll take as a pretty good deal.
Got my chain today but no cassette. Didn’t receive any notice of my order changing or a PayPal refund. This isn’t good.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Got my chain today but no cassette. Didn’t receive any notice of my order changing or a PayPal refund. This isn’t good.
I wouldn't panic yet. They might just be shipped separately.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I wouldn't panic yet. They might just be shipped separately.
I only got one tracking number, but yeah I’m hoping it just hasn’t shipped yet, separately.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:42 AM

Yes they sure did. I had quite a few sets from them over many years, since the 90’s.

Bummer to hear.

It was a good run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
Oh, bummer. In the 90s I used to be on the look out for their catalog, to drool over the litespeeds and looks. Sad. I bought my LS mountain bike from them in the 2000s.
They also had excellent in-house built wheels back in the day.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:16 AM

Its sad but I'm not surprised. Margins are lower than ever and they always had pretty good prices. Often time I would order an item on eBay and not even know it was from them until it arrived. RIP
Old 04-24-2024, 08:25 AM

Shopping on the CC website, the discounts and announced sales don't make sense. the ads talk about 30% off, but items are all discounted randomly, the "starting at" prices are not actually available in the item's options, and full priced items see no later discount in the cart...

there are a few things I'm tempted by, but the prices aren't better than other online retailers.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Shopping on the CC website, the discounts and announced sales don't make sense. the ads talk about 30% off, but items are all discounted randomly, the "starting at" prices are not actually available in the item's options, and full priced items see no later discount in the cart...

there are a few things I'm tempted by, but the prices aren't better than other online retailers.
I havent looked into any of their deals yet, but im sure in the near future, the 30% off will become 40%... then 50%... but then who knows what will be left in stock?
Old 04-24-2024, 10:05 AM
Back At It!

Hmm, shop online or shop in an LBS..

well, for me I'm always looking for a deal on something used, bike or part.. but if I do need to buy new, it really just depends.. as someone pointed out above, if I can get a tire that's $80 at the LBS, but $45 online with free or cheap shipping, who in their right mind is going to pay $80? (unless they need it right now) If prices are generally close (for example $80 msrp at shop and $70-75 shipped online), I'll do the LBS.. a good example is I recently was on the lookout for a new helmet.. I have a pro deal with Giro, so can get a some good prices online.. my LBS had the Aires and I really like it so I showed him what I would pay on the Giro website (with shipping) and we were able to make a deal at a price that was close enough that I felt good and the shop still made some cash..

I think times have changed for all variations of shopping and online is just something that is here and is not going away.. I do realize what this might mean for some shops.. if I were in the mind to have a shop, I think I would 75% focus on service and just have inventory for shop services or special orders.. but it will also a sad day when adults or kids can no longer go into a shop and gaze at all the two-wheeled goodness..
Old 04-24-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Not a totally unhappy ending; after reaching out to support to ask them about the cassette I received a PayPal refund and a note that the cassette was out of stock. Then I saw a seller on Facebook unloading some cassettes and scored the same one for a few bucks less.