Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 AM

How tough and committed are you?

I routinely ride through the winter in temperatures down to the low/mid 20's with winds up to 15 mph. I see very few other riders and it makes me feel insufferably smug.

Right now it's 7* with winds @ 19 mph. Anybody ride in weather like that? Smugness being such an unattractive trait, I figure I can rid myself of it should a few of youse guys tell me you're out on days like this and worse; provided I believe you, of course.

One hour later...

Based on feedback and brickbats, I've rewritten the foregoing; please ignore it and substitute the following:

Geez, sure is cold and windy out there today- anybody ride on days like this?

Oh, and so as not to offend the winter-trainer riders, change title to read "How stupid and reckless are you?"

Last edited by Cloozoe; 01-22-2019 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Translation for the humor-impaired
Old 01-21-2019, 07:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Right now it's 7* with winds @ 19 mph. Anybody ride in weather like that?
Nope..have fun being smug..

Ididabike..looks like fun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 574612_10151509215456974_1003484117_n-1.jpg (87.8 KB, 526 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-21-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloozoe View Post
I routinely ride through the winter in temperatures down to the low/mid 20's with winds up to 15 mph. I see very few other riders and it makes me feel insufferably smug.

Right now it's 7* with winds @ 19 mph. Anybody ride in weather like that? Smugness being such an unattractive trait, I figure I can rid myself of it should a few of youse guys tell me you're out on days like this and worse; provided I believe you, of course.

Why? What are you trying to accomplish by this?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 AM
3D

I used to ride through Minnesota winters with temperatures well below 0 Fahrenheit and wind speed 20+ mph. The farthest thing on my mind is smugness. Only because all I had was a bicycle for transportation.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM

I used to routinely ride all year round in Toronto.

I remember one night in particular it was -30 with the wind chill and I was coming home from work at around midnight and my brother in law passed me and paused to see if it was actually me (he knew my work schedule and route) and as he slowed down to see my face I turned to see who it was and his jaw dropped and he shook his head in that dude-you-are-crazy kind of way.

Lol, giggling about it now, it was pretty funny.

But now with young kids my time constraints are pretty nuts so I can only do it if I have a day off and need a ride.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:02 AM

I used to ride out there in no matter what conditions. I think the coldest was a 30 mile ride on a -7 day.

But after suffering a separated AC joint in a low speed crash last Feb I'm sticking to rollers when the weather is bad.

How I typically look at the end of a winter ride.

Now I'll still hike in the cold. Worse this year so far was New Years day when I spent about 3 hours in the woods. It was -5 with a windchill approaching -20. Just had on my 30 year old Shearling jacket with a tee shirt underneath. It's not hard toughing out the cold when you have the proper gear.

Oh and I never feel smug about it. I just prefer being outside and don't see cold as a reason not to go. Too easy to dress for it.

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-21-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:03 AM

I've lived in two cold climates and commuted year round. Calgary and now Ottawa in Canada.

I ride through the year and at this time of the year the Rideau Canal between my home and workplace is maintained for skating. I'm into my second week skating part way to work and love it.

As for the biking ... I'm not far, ride on pathways that are cleared of snow and along a water way that is a nice view. It's more pleasant than driving. I also think the slippery conditions keep it fun and lively. I have good clothes that keep me warm.

See you out there!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:04 AM
aka RAEKWON

This winter I have gone lower than I normally go. Usually under 30 I use the trainer. But I have got out there in low 20s, lowest was 18.

Today is 6, feels like -13 and I about jumped on a citi bike (they even had the electric one) but nope, its insanely cold, the wind makes it even hard to breath.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:04 AM

Nope. I'm pretty fair weather and wimpy in the cold. I suffer excercise induced asthma in the winter which severely detracts from my riding performance in the winter. I will ride down to 30 degrees, but nothing lower than that.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:06 AM

Not very tough. Minus 9 this morning. No effing way I'm going out in that. Plus there's icy spots. Why risk injury if I don't have to? Never mind the fact the roads are painted white with salt. I'll suffer on the trainer in front of a TV sweating my butt off. I love Michigan but winter here can really suck. I expect to gain weight every off season and do. But it's warmer that way!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:08 AM

I've raced both mountain and road bikes in sub-freezing temps. Notice the past tense. In both cases, ice could have brought me down rather painfully. Even if the temp is above freezing, slush on the roads can be sketchy. I watched a teammate endo and fly a good ten feet after a slush encounter. The saving grace was that she landed on her back, on the slush, cushioning the fall. She proved to be one tough customer, catching her breath and completing a 50 mile training ride.

A little older and hopefully wiser, I don't usually ride in below freezing temps anymore. My wife has been hinting that we "need" fat bikes, so this might change in the future...

Greg
Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Why? What are you trying to accomplish by this?
By what? Riding in the winter? This post? Being curious about how cold it has to be before the Flahutes among you bail? By being smug (I'm not really)? By attempting to be funny?

I seem to have ruffled your feathers for some inexplicable reason. My apologies.

Last edited by Cloozoe; 01-21-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 AM
Older Than You

I moved from Iowa to Texas in late 1961. The first few years I could go all winter in not much more than jeans, t shirt and maybe a light jacket.

Now 50+ years later I've turned into a cold weather wimp. Much below 45 degrees I either use the trainer inside or go for a long walk.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:10 AM
Randomhead

I avoid riding when I think there might be ice. I had a bad crash a couple of years back when it was above freezing. It had rained, and we went down a back road that had a very thin layer of ice. I think the ground was cold because we had suffered through <20F weather for the previous week. My hip shoulder and head hit really hard. It doesn't seem worth it.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:10 AM

Arrowhead 135 in northern Minnesota is January 28th this year. It is timed for the historically coldest part of the year.

http://www.arrowheadultra.com/

You are only smug because it's not really cold.
My definition of cold is hoping for snow because it only snows if it warms up.

Right now, race day start temp is forecast -21 F.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/in...t/333792?day=6

Last edited by verticaldoug; 01-21-2019 at 08:14 AM.