Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 09:54 AM

Campagnolo 10s Shifters Soft/Slipping Shifts Even After Rebuild

I currently have two sets of Campy 10s shifters that I am trying to breathe life back in to and having some issues.

Two of the left/rear shifters have very soft shifting and will even slip a few gears when I put tension on the cable manually. One of the front shifters also has the same issue, with very 'faint' shifting. I just rebuilt one of the rears with fresh springs after finding that the post on the spring carrier had snapped, but upon reassembly, the issue was only slightly improved, and still not up to snuff.

My questions therefore are:

What part of the shifting mechanism is responsible for this ailment? Are the ratchet mechanisms worn down, do in need more/better/different lube/grease in there, is there something I can do to better engage the thumb lever?

Secondly, to date, I have been using functional, but cosmetically challenged levers as a source for parts. This may be a contributing factor, since the rebuild parts are not new, but they did appear to be in good shape. Is a source anywhere for the rebuild kits (EC-CE110)? So far I have been able to find pairs of nice levers for ~$100 and any rebuild kits available are almost the same price (if you can find them), which negates the benefits of Campy's ability to be self maintained...

Thanks in advance for any sage advice
Old 01-20-2019, 12:47 PM

As far as positive "clicks" and holding the cable tension, there's really only 3 components: The indexing springs, the spring holder, and the ratchet ring. The ratchet ring generally doesn't wear much, so this is probably not your problem. The spring holder can occasionally break, and as you remarked, this result in loss of positive "clicks". The indexing springs are a normal wear item, so these do need to be replace periodically as they wear out.

You say that you replaced the springs and spring holder (which is usually the solution to a lack of positive "clicks"), but you also remark that you used parts from a used shifter - if the "new" index springs actually are already worn, then it could result in the symptoms you are describing. In which case I'd recommend that you at least replace the springs with brand new ones. (After all, most of the improvement in shifting after a "rebuild" is mostly from installing new parts, not from the act of dissassembly/reassembly.)

Most of the service parts for Campagnolo 10 speed shifters are still readily available from multiple sources. The springs generaly cost $4-5 each, but the improvement in shifting is well worth the cost. It is usually recommended that the spring carrier also be replaced when replacing the springs, and this part can be had for $10-15.

Last edited by Mark McM; 01-20-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:35 PM

Sounds like you replaced bad G Springs with bad G springs.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:46 PM

Well could be that one of the arms in the spring carrrier is busted.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:32 PM

Did you make sure the spring carrier wasn’t cracked? It can be easy to miss if you don’t pull on it and see if it will separate.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:44 PM

What model of levers? The lower levels had a plastic ratchet ring that gives these sympoms when worn. That part in particular is unserviceable as far as I know.
Also, replacing used components with used components is a sure recipe for frustration.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:57 PM

Way past due to move on to ultrashift 11 or 12. I moved on in 2009.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Way past due to move on to ultrashift 11 or 12. I moved on in 2009.
Oof, that's harsh. A new Chorus group is around $1000 even if you shop carefully. That's an awful lot of money....

As for the parts, I think QBP still carries the bits. I know Branford Bike does too, or Mercian in the UK. The parts aren't that expensive
Old 01-20-2019, 10:21 PM

I found the best prices on amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn_user View Post
Oof, that's harsh. A new Chorus group is around $1000 even if you shop carefully. That's an awful lot of money....

As for the parts, I think QBP still carries the bits. I know Branford Bike does too, or Mercian in the UK. The parts aren't that expensive
Got to agree with the acorn. If it works (after reasonable repair which seems possible with your set-up), why go on to the next thing? Just to prove you are susceptible to marketing? I applaud you for keeping the 10s Chorus. This is the same logic that will keep me in Chorus for years to come, even if Record is appealing.

Chris
Old 01-20-2019, 10:55 PM

Spud

I bet oldpotatoe could get them back to excellence for a reasonable cost. I would pm him and se what he could do for you.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the replies all! Looks like amazon does have some of the return springs at a decent price, so I'll give those a go and report back.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
I currently have two sets of Campy 10s shifters that I am trying to breathe life back in to and having some issues.

Two of the left/rear shifters have very soft shifting and will even slip a few gears when I put tension on the cable manually. One of the front shifters also has the same issue, with very 'faint' shifting. I just rebuilt one of the rears with fresh springs after finding that the post on the spring carrier had snapped, but upon reassembly, the issue was only slightly improved, and still not up to snuff.

My questions therefore are:

1)What part of the shifting mechanism is responsible for this ailment? Are the ratchet mechanisms worn down, do in need more/better/different lube/grease in there, is there something I can do to better engage the thumb lever?

Secondly, to date, I have been using functional, but cosmetically challenged levers as a source for parts. This may be a contributing factor, since the rebuild parts are not new, but they did appear to be in good shape. Is a source anywhere for the rebuild kits (EC-CE110)? So far I have been able to find pairs of nice levers for ~$100 and any rebuild kits available are almost the same price (if you can find them), which negates the benefits of Campy's ability to be self maintained...

Thanks in advance for any sage advice
1) Primarily it's robust shift springs and a non split spring carrier..same for both sides. The shift disc itself is VERY hard steel and doesn't really wear out but the 'notches' of the disc that the springs ride in, could be worn(seen that only about 3 times in hundreds of ERGO OVHs).

2) I have all the innards for 2008 and older ERGO. Campagnolo still makes Record 'assemblies'..I buy and strip for parts.
from me-
-Shift springs are $6 per
-Spring carriers are $15 per
-Shift disc is $45

Not much else you really need.

EC-CE-110? That's for a running change in 2009/10 for the very light shifting, Ultrashift shifters..'Gumby shape', not the rounded, 2008-1998 shape.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-21-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasarbule View Post
What model of levers? The lower levels had a plastic ratchet ring that gives these sympoms when worn. That part in particular is unserviceable as far as I know.
Also, replacing used components with used components is a sure recipe for frustration.
Actually the opposite. Record 'Ultra' had a resin/plastic spring carrier which WAS a bit softer but not prone to breaking or splitting like the cheaper, metal ones. Chorus and below had metal spring carriers.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
I found the best prices on amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really?..I found a LH shift spring for $31.....what? Methinks some of these resellers know little about RGO shifter innards..

BUT for the OP..I have all the guts for both levers, 1992-2008....