Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 01:17 PM

Dynamo Hubs for offroad?

Hello all:

I have a Shutter Precision hub on my commuter that I love and when thinking up a new wheelset for my gravel/allrounder, I think of how useful these dynamo hubs can be.

Having never (well, maybe once or twice) smashed my existing one around on trails, are these hubs good enough quality to withstand taking a pounding when offroad riding? I see the possibility of having a light installed sometimes, then removing it and capping the contact and riding trails without the light at other times. I just don't want to invest in a nice wheelset only to have the front hub die because there is too many fragile bits in there vs a simple hub that basically never breaks down.

I would probably buy another SP hub, but might consider a SON if the right deal came along. The rear hub will be an Onyx.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:39 PM
hoolered

Speaking from experience I have full confidence in the performance of SP hubs offroad. I have had the SP PD-8 with a qr on my Crust Romanceur since late 2016 (??, first run) and it is holding up nicely. Not only is it my around town basket bike, I frequently underbike it on rough shale and rutted trails.
As for "the possibility of having a light installed sometimes", I reckon once you install a light system it's probably just going to live on there. Wiring and routing cable is a little cumbersome especially if you use a front rack.

Last edited by hummus_aquinas; 01-18-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Randomhead

I have SP hubs on both my mtb and my gravel bike. I would have one on my fatbike, but they pulled that model for a problem at low temps and I bought a SON.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:57 PM

Thanks folks.

Yes, I sense that it would stay once installed, but I visualize it working itself looked and the light flopping down onto the wheel and getting torn off as I pedal. I guess that speaks to how I maintain my bikes!?

The quality is there though, it seems....
Old 01-18-2019, 03:32 PM

I agree, my concern would not be the hub, but rather trashing a good light on the trails.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:31 PM
Randomhead

people have experienced fatigue failures of the mounting point on B&M lights. I have a cyo premium on my gravel bike, I think it will be fine for many years. It sees some rough use. I have a Supernova Pure on my MTB, it is never going to break.

If I was more serious about those lights, I probably would put an IQ-X on there, the mount is replaceable. With my fatbike, I haven't settled on a place for the headlight. They really work best at crown level, but that's problematic on a suspension fork.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Nice to see some confidence in the SP hubs for this kind of hard use. I tend to figure that while many use dynamo setups for urban/asphalt touring applications, proper randonneurs and 'gravel' riders, endurance types, etc. have to be enough of the target market for this stuff that the ability to withstand rough use would need to be there for a make to enjoy a good reputation across the board.

I'm in the process of setting up a Schmidt/B&M system, and likely to look at SP for a second bike, so appreciate the discussion here.

I will be sure to consider the light mounting system/hardware going forward, as I had not really directly considered the possible concern there when bouncing around too much rough stuff.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:54 AM

+1 for robustness of SP Dynohub. I've been using one on my Gravel bike for about a year with an IQ-X light (with the metal B&M mount) that stays on all the time. Haven't had a problem in about 2,000 miles offroad including D2R2, Unpaved of Pa etc.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:31 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
people have experienced fatigue failures of the mounting point on B&M lights. I have a cyo premium on my gravel bike, I think it will be fine for many years. It sees some rough use. I have a Supernova Pure on my MTB, it is never going to break.

If I was more serious about those lights, I probably would put an IQ-X on there, the mount is replaceable. With my fatbike, I haven't settled on a place for the headlight. They really work best at crown level, but that's problematic on a suspension fork.
Thanks for the notes on fatigue and replaceable mounts. My current lights are mounted on Paul Ginos at the mid-fork rack boss location. I'm also thinking of a dynohub and wondering if a light centered on the rack is a better choice.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:33 PM
Recreational User

I have a SP on my gravel/commuter bike. That bike gets trashed and it has held up well. The weight and added friction might be enough to lead me to not do it on my gravel race bike... at least it has for me so far. I do feel like there is a 5% + loss of efficiency. I know when I spin that wheel and another wheels I have, the other wheels all spin for much longer. No regrets though for my commuting bike and it has held up well. My light is front rack mounted and rear is mounted to fender.

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"
Old 01-21-2019, 03:18 PM

+1 for durability of the hubs. Also, Edelux lights with the metal mounting tab are far more durable than plastic tab on less expensive lights.

I'm not familiar with the IQ-X, can someone confirm which variation has a metal mounting tab?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:22 PM

I’be been abusing an Sp PV-8 off-road with an exposure revo lamp for two years now. No probs at all. I recommend the Exposure for off road riding but not at all for on road riding
Old 01-21-2019, 03:52 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryschwartzma View Post
I recommend the Exposure for off road riding but not at all for on road riding
Why, may I ask? I am in the process of looking for a good light that will match the dynamo 650b wheel that I just built. This will serve on a gravel touring bike.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:24 PM
what's a little rust?

pictured: weisan's house
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28937988841_2363694e63_c.jpg (136.6 KB, 111 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixieporteur View Post
+1 for durability of the hubs. Also, Edelux lights with the metal mounting tab are far more durable than plastic tab on less expensive lights.

I'm not familiar with the IQ-X, can someone confirm which variation has a metal mounting tab?
I have an IQ-X and a friend has a new-ish Edelux II. I swear they have upgraded the Edelux emitter over the rated emitter, because it really seems to be just as bright as the IQ-X. But it's rated to put out significantly less light than the IQ-X. The Edelux is a Cyo premium in a much nicer case.

The IQ-X mounting tab is a replaceable plastic band. When people talk about replacing the mount, they mean the part that mounts to the bike. The plastic monstrosity that comes with the light is not stiff enough and would never do off-road.