Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Thinking about Made in USA components

I was thinking about the difference between being a US based company vs. actually making/assembling products in the US and it got me thinking...

Have some of the companies who arguably do not make stuff in the US but are affiliated, such as Sram, Ritchey, FSA, Cane Creek, etc, always been that way?

For example, Ritchey has been making stuff for a while now. Would their vintage stems be considered "Made in the USA" whereas their contemporary stuff not so much? Any insights on when the production relocation happened for some of these companies?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM
DELETE ACCNT

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...e-usa-standard
Old 01-10-2019, 02:49 PM

In some cases, it's case by case

Cane Creek's EE brakes are made in a residential garage workshop in La Canada, California. Well, they were when their inventor/proprietor was bought out and hired.

Last edited by m4rk540; 01-10-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure companies like Trek have done a good job getting around that..
Old 01-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Politifact backs up Gov. Scott Walker's claim that Trek makes 99% of their bikes overseas:

https://www.politifact.com/wisconsin...icycles-overs/
Old 01-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post

When I see a sticker that says "Made in USA", the only thing I'm sure of is that the sticker was made in the USA. (And even that I'm not always sure of.)
Old 01-10-2019, 03:16 PM

Jpl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
Cane Creek's EE brakes are made in residential garage workshop in La Canada, California. Well, they were when their inventor/proprietor was bought out and hired.
That’s interesting, JPL is in the La Canada area
Old 01-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estuche View Post
Have some of the companies who arguably do not make stuff in the US but are affiliated, such as Sram, Ritchey, FSA, Cane Creek, etc, always been that way?
I believe that SRAM actually started out making their products in the USA (back when their main products was GripShift), but as they grew they quickly moved to offshore production.

Ritchey has made a limited number of frames in the US, but as far as I know, all their components have been imported.

Cane Creek began as Dia-Compe USA (the US office of the Dia-Compe corporation), and was the chief importer of Dia-Compe products. When they became independent (and change their name) a few products were made in the USA, but most continued to be imported.

(I don't know anything about FSA.)

On the other hand, there are some bicycle companies that are often thought of as foreign, that actually make products in the US. The majority of DT Swiss spokes sold in the US are actually made in the US (albeit, from imported raw materials). Velocity rims, which started out as an Australian company, moved all their product to the US a few years ago.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:22 PM
DELETE ACCNT

as for Trek, they can't label Made in USA unless it is.
I'm assuming they now say "Designed in the USA" or some variation

I know the Wisconsin bikes said "Handmade in the USA" but I don't know if they even make those anymore.

I came across this list for actual Made in USA bikes- though I don't know how accurate it is
https://allamericanreviews.com/best-bikes/
Old 01-10-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Trek used to make all SLR 700 OCLV carbon frames in Wisconsin, and those would ship with a Made in USA sticker, as they've moved those Emondas and Madones overseas, the lable subtly changed to say Designed in the USA... They do paint all the Project One bikes in Wisconsin though. Im guessing that's now changed to shipping in bare frames from Taiwan.

Clever marketing, hoping that you don't read the label..

That said, companies like Trek, who are headquartered here will put more $$ into local economy since they employ more Americans in higher end positions that pay better...
Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Designed or assembled in the USA is what companies market when they can't meet the Made in USA standard.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:33 PM

I'm surprised (or maybe I shouldn't be) that nobody has mentioned Kent International. They sell their bikes mostly in outlets like Wal-Mart and Target, but they make 400,000 bikes each year in the South Carolina factory.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
That’s interesting, JPL is in the La Canada area
Craig Edwards is an architect. His buildings in La Canada are far from space age. More Spanish Mediterranean, the dominant local vernacular.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:41 PM

Pauls Components, White Industries, Phil Wood, Spur Cycle bells, King Cage, Wolftooth (I think), I9 (I think) are US Companies which make their parts in the US.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:49 PM
DELETE ACCNT

that is so cool that ee brakes are from La Canada! That's my local cycling route
and area!
makes me want to buy them now