Originally Posted by BassoBry View Post
That's awesome. Any more info?
More info:
http://www.tearsforgears.com/2013/01...ork-stand.html
Old 01-18-2019, 01:17 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Thanks guys! The bench and wall are new as well, so it's still a wip but it's coming along.

Mounting a PRS-3.2-1 to the ceiling
by Bryan Heller, on Flickr
Only thing I can say about that is that it looks like the tools you use most frequently aren't where you can get to them fastest.

On my benches, the stuff I use most is front and center, moving outwards and upwards for the tools I use least. In my case: the allen keys, pliers, cable and housing cutters, etc are all smack dab in the middle of my backstop.

I'll see what I can do about taking a pic tomorrow (once I've cleared up some of the mess)

M
Old 01-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
We are knee deep in a new build out for our shop. Just finished the bench. Moving on to the stand situation. I am thinking of flipping a prs-3.2-1 upside down and mounting it to the ceiling. The joists are exposed, so I am certain I can get a very solid purchase with a cross beam and some beefy hardware. It will allow us to still utilize the space under the stand for bike storage come closing time. The prs 3.2-1 is adjustable but I think I will most likely have to take a hack saw and shorten both ends. Has anyone done this?

i'm currently buiding a home-made rigid one using standard tube fittings for scaffolding, like these:

and 42.4mm (roughly 1 5/8") stainless steel tubes. Rough cost ~100€ without the clamp (I bought a Park Tool PRS-4).

i'm going to mount it to the wall using short pieces of the same tube and T-sections, and let the column rest on the floor (Ceiling is too high and ground too uneven), but it would easily be adaptible to wall/floor mounting. I nurse vague thoughts about putting my TIG welder to use and add a toothed rack/crank height adjustment mechanic on it later, but for the first time i'm just gonna use a T section (they have nice sturdy M10 fine threaded grub screws) for adjusting clamp height.

Last edited by martl; 01-18-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
It's an addition to the original building. Insulation is on the docket. It is quite cold in there currently!
It builds character or so they say :-)

I know the process all too well.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
i'm currently buiding a home-made rigid one using standard tube fittings for scaffolding, like these:

and 42.4mm (roughly 1 5/8") stainless steel tubes. Rough cost ~100€ without the clamp (I bought a Park Tool PRS-4).

i'm going to mount it to the wall using short pieces of the same tube and T-sections, and let the column rest on the floor (Ceiling is too high and ground too uneven), but it would easily be adaptible to wall/floor mounting. I nurse vague thoughts about putting my TIG welder to use and add a toothed rack/crank height adjustment mechanic on it later, but for the first time i'm just gonna use a T section (they have nice sturdy M10 fine threaded grub screws) for adjusting clamp height.
Sounds awesome!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:30 PM

Oh yeah - that puppy ain’t going nowhere. +1 for over engineering!
Awesome workspace. Perfect air hose placement. Nice work!!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:35 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post

Update:

The hardware :

first mock-up. The horizontal holders i will very likely shorten a good deal, as the clamp has considerable length.

(sorry for the ugly wall, the room is an ancient washhouse in the basement of an 100 year old building - that brick cube in the corner is actually under "preservation of historic buildings", and i had a water accident recently)

Last edited by martl; 01-20-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:02 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Finally got this put together after some time looking for a flip down solution to work between our basement floor joists.

Pretty handy to have and swing up and out of the way when not using. A furniture leg hinge rated for 120 lbs, Foundation Bike Bench Workstand clamp/end, and some 1-1/2" pipe with flared collar welded together with a pinch bolt.

Needs 1 more coat of paint, but I'm happy.

Pics:

Last edited by kppolich; 08-19-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:37 PM

I think BKXC has a video of something similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ck...pbRndv&index=7