Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 07:04 PM

OP here.

Appreciate all the comments on the Gravelking SK. I am definitely aware of them, but have not ridden them. Left them off the list due to being slightly heavy (right at 400 I think) and pretty heavily treaded. But if they roll fast, I'm cool with that.

Little more backstory: for a lot of the areas I like to ride the Compass Bon Jon (or even Stampede) is perfect- have been riding them for years and love them. But I have some buddies who want to go where it is a bit more gnarly so I find myself needing a slightly more loose-capable tire. I got some Maxxis Ramblers in 38 and they were fantastic, just what I was after....but in real world riding didn't quite fit my frame (Domane) and I got some rubbing. So I need something that rolls, grips and weighs like a Rambler.....but in a 35. Is it the GK SK?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM

I've used Schwable G-One (favorite), Hutch Overides, and Panaracer GK-SK.
G-One: fantastic ride quality, seems supple but i've sliced them a couple times that required plugs. But I continue buy these because of the great ride.

Overides: used these all of last year. Good ride, durable...nothing too exciting.

Panaracer GK-SK: these are on my wife's gravel bike, they are durable. make that very durable. They measure out to a couple mm more than advertised. She likes them very much.
Be sure to ask those that ride gravel in your area. Gravel conditions vary so much from local to local. So much to chose from these days. enjoy
Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 PM

another thing to think about... is for whatever reason.. GKSK 35 are known to run big. My 35 are 38 on 21 internal width rim.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:53 PM

G-one all-around front and G One Speed rear
Old 01-19-2019, 09:07 PM

I'm trying the Challenge Gravel Grinder TLR 700x38 next - 120 tpi casing and 370g

Hoping it'll be a bit faster/lighter than the (bomb proof) Specialized Triggers while being a bit grippier/tougher than the Compass-type tires.

http://www.challengetech.it/products...der-tlr-096/en
Old 01-20-2019, 04:45 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
another thing to think about... is for whatever reason.. GKSK 35 are known to run big. My 35 are 38 on 21 internal width rim.
spot on
Old 01-20-2019, 06:19 AM
aka RAEKWON

a bit off topic but not really because I am looking for something similar but I don't really care about gravel for these tires.

32 to 35 and tubeless. I am thinking about going compass. I have 32mm GKs right now and theya re great but not tubeless... I see everyone rolling on the schwalbes but how good are they on the road compared to say the gravel kings? I want a fast tire.

Really thinking about trying the challenge though, seems interesting... at that price though, the compass I already know it is excellent (even though not the best at tubeless)
Old 01-20-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Just to add to the confusion...

Donnelly (formerly Clement) X'PLOR MSO 700x36

I've been using the 40mm size for a few years now
I need to comment on my comment.

When I run the wheels with these 40mm tires, I am primarily riding on singletrack or unimproved dirt roads that never see a car. My pressures are therefore on the lower side and I loooooove the comfort as I tend towards the comfort side of things and away from the speed side.

And yes, I use them on organized gravel rides on good dirt roads because I'm too lazy to change tires. There, I said it. ;-)
Old 01-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Registered (ab)User

I don't really feel qualified to chime in here; I've only been actively doing the "all roads" thing for ~6 months. In that time I was mostly on 37c WTB Riddlers, and I never encountered any terrain where I thought those didn't have enough grip, or were too slow. But I have no idea what they weigh. For the last two weeks I've been on 35c Schwalbe Rapid Robs, and they suck: Always feel too slow, and I'm sure they must be ridiculously heavy...at least they sure feel like boat anchors.

fwiw my wife hooked up with our Club's dirt crew this past year, and most of the experienced guys in that gang recommended 35c Kenda Small Block 8s, so she's been riding those for the past ~12 months with no complaints.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:04 PM

Go Gravel King Slick in the 38 (if they'll fit) and set those bad boys up tubeless for tubular like ride & one hell of a versatile tire. Rad colors on sale now too.

Loved the Compass Bon Jon Pass in 35 on my Turner Cyclosys, fastest and most versatile it ever felt. Unfortunately, the $ wasn't worth the short lifespan of one of the pair. Maybe a couple hundred miles in and the rear got a huge gash. Got home b/c of tubeless, but it was done.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:57 PM

i think you should try tires that are totally different from the tire size you are asking about.

or if you haven't had a look, i actually quite like the Challenge almanzo 33mm for the conditions you describe when i am not on my 32mm gravel kings (closer to 34mm). they also do the gravel grinder 36mm. some of my gravel is farkin steep, like 20-30% stuff, so the extra grip going up and down is nice. if the grades stay under that 15-20% mark i ride gravel king 32s pumped 55/60 psi and have a blast. I have some compass tires, and maybe they are faster on pave but not enough so to pay double price on gravel, where you will eventually rip the sidewall before wearing the tread. my compass tires are reserved for some gravel and lots of pave.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 PM

Another option: Kenda Happy Medium. I was pretty pleasantly surprised when I was riding mine. I love the fancy stuff but Kenda makes some underrated stuff.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 PM

Adding to the mix and just mounted a 35 in the rear tonight. No miles yet, but hopefully tomorrow. https://www.cxmagazine.com/hutchinso...e-review-35-38
Old 10-27-2020, 08:39 AM

Updated Experiences in 700x35 tubeless?

Bumping this thread because I don't think the world needs another gravel tire thread and this thread title fit the bill.

I have lots of miles on Bon Jon Pass 700x35 ELs. I have a hard time believing I'll find a better tire for mostly paved and gravel riding. But, they are expensive and I kinda have a thing for tires. I also have and love the GravelKing slick (regular, not "plus") tires in 32 and 35.

I'm curious if anyone has tried the WTB Exposure 700x36 or Challenge Strada Bianca 700x36 (not the more expensive handmade model). Both are listed as weighing ~355g, which is the same as the 700x35 GravelKing and regular casing Bon Jon.

The Exposure looks good on paper, but I thought the Horizons and Byways were dogs so I'm a little leery. My only experience with Challenge tires were the 700x27 PRs that felt great, but were very difficult to mount and I never had as many flats with a pair of tires. But, that was almost ten years ago and with tubes.

Anyone have experience on the Exposure 36 or Strada Bianca 36 TLR?
Old 10-27-2020, 08:46 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Bumping this thread because I don't think the world needs another gravel tire thread and this thread title fit the bill.

I have lots of miles on Bon Jon Pass 700x35 ELs. I have a hard time believing I'll find a better tire for mostly paved and gravel riding. But, they are expensive and I kinda have a thing for tires. I also have and love the GravelKing slick (regular, not "plus") tires in 32 and 35.

I'm curious if anyone has tried the WTB Exposure 700x36 or Challenge Strada Bianca 700x36 (not the more expensive handmade model). Both are listed as weighing ~355g, which is the same as the 700x35 GravelKing and regular casing Bon Jon.

The Exposure looks good on paper, but I thought the Horizons and Byways were dogs so I'm a little leery. My only experience with Challenge tires were the 700x27 PRs that felt great, but were very difficult to mount and I never had as many flats with a pair of tires. But, that was almost ten years ago and with tubes.

Anyone have experience on the Exposure 36 or Strada Bianca 36 TLR?
maybe they have fixed their production but when I bought the those exact challenges they were bad, they would not pop the bead into my rims (tried 2 or 3 sets of wheelsets). Challenge is known for crappy QC. I also have bon jons, they have low miles but great so far. I would probably just get another set if I was you