Old 07-21-2018, 07:37 PM

Cyclist arrested

Just read this...

https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/gta...he-police.html

Aerial surveillance on cyclists for traffic offences...crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Hmmm...

A group comprising a minority of the population is profiled, targeted and the area they are in is policed to a higher degree by using more resources and staff and they are arrested.

I can't wait to read how these victims respond to this treatment.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 PM

What a gross misuse of resources.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:40 PM

Discrimination lawsuit?

ps: they should have stop at the stop sign tho.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:32 PM

Putting my flame suit on, but to be frank, I'd like to see more cyclists stopped and cited if they are caught blowing through stops. Pretty hard for me to belly ache about drivers not respecting my presence on the road if I don't follow the rules as well.

That said - the evidence here is poor. I think the officers were trying to rattle some cages to make folks know they were watching. They probably assumed they wouldn't get pushback, just some "yes sirs and no sirs", a lecture, and send them on their way. But they didn't do their diligence and it bit them in the rear. If you are going to rattle cages, at least make sure the person in question actually did break a law before escalating and breaking out the cuffs.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 PM

IMO this case bacame a "u said, i said" type of thing, w/o a picture is hard for a cop just go an have proof of something, right? Maybe thats why the cyclist cop did not want to oven bother answering the questions, he knew he was going to bother them even more keeping his mouth shut.

We suspect you did not stop, because our helicopter told us - ok, well could have been somebody else then? showme the picture...

Either way is not a bad thing that a cop stop you for not following the traffic rules and honestly (im not a saint either ok?) some dudes riding in the street/road just suck at it because they have the common sense of a nail.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:20 AM

what
a
waste

SPP
Old 07-22-2018, 04:36 AM

I think the article was well written and presented both sides of the story as fairly as possible.

I certainly find the quotes from both sides as "interesting".

I dont consider it a misuse of resources; using drones for police work is a new technology and its applications are just being explored. Testing it on these kinds of crimes is a baby step. Maybe towards SkyNet , but a start nonetheless.

The drone can store and ship video so for those crying, "Show me the picture"; it could be available; but you'd have to take the case to trial to find out.

Entitled cyclists rationalizing blowing stop signs-I see it all the time, even among my friends. Group rides, even worse.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:54 AM

sounds more like he was cuffed for failing to comply with an order from a peace officer (show identification or state your name) rather than any proof that he ran the stop. I have no idea if that is something the cops are permitted to do or not.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:56 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Isn’t this in Canada?

I guess there isn’t much else happening in this “retirement” community.

I am also guessing if your group got stopped by the local PD, and someone refused to identify themselves (in this case a retired officer who should know better), they would get handcuffed as well until they could be identified.

Why escalate an already testy situation?

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:31 PM

Yes it seams the cyclist was arrested for not providing ID when requested...but this whole thing stinks.

If this was done in a big city targeting a specific group...there would be riots.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:33 PM

Collingwood is a tourist area now

But it is also a long-standing industrial-farming community where property values have soared, where those who move into the area with new money are often insensitive to the locals who have carried on life for about 150 years without much change.

Young locals can no longer afford to buy property to extend their family heritage, and the folks who do buy in the area are oblivious to the challenges that the money brings to everyone else.

The family homestead where my father was born (on Blue Mountain, Collingwood) would now bring about $1.5M-$2M Canadian, but my grandfather cut and hauled wood by horse to Collingwood during the 30's just to survive.

My mother's family lived on a farm where her father (my grandfather) had to work at the local shipyards to keep bread on the table. That same farm would now bring a similar dollar value...

Did anyone note the size of the club? That's a LOT of well heeled newcomers, which is what most of them would be.

The OPP are tired of hearing complaints from drivers about large packs riding in such a manner that they pose an immediate danger to any responsible driver. "Up on the mountain" there are a lot of blind corners, and short sharp hills where there is just enough room for two cars to meet without taking the shoulder. A pack would be a tough bit to handle for a pickup truck or a large tractor hauling equipment...

And, in Ontario generally there are a lot of incidents involving 'cyclists and drivers that just don't hit the press. No one wants a mass mow-down incident.

So, my take is that the local club could do a lot to make themselves acceptable---run some courses for younger riders, get involved in the local scene, pay attention when some one complains about a big pack...

The police are in a tough spot, as are these riders.

We should all pay more attention to the way we ride, especially when we are riding in a rural-farm area...
Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
Yes it seams the cyclist was arrested for not providing ID when requested...but this whole thing stinks.

If this was done in a big city targeting a specific group...there would be riots.

ID card or just giving real name, etc? No requirement in the US for an actual IC card..but gotta give real name when requested(or you will be arrested)..
Old 07-23-2018, 08:03 AM

the world is creating more people. People better off want a better life so run somewhere. This is no different than the influx to BC, especially Asia. What difference is it if you grew up around Vancouver and wanted to buy in?

This sucks all the way around, zoning may help situations.

Personnally we live in a beautiful area of RI, that 20 years ago was commonly called "white trash" neighborhood. Other part of town is high middle class. Quickly these houses around me are being updated as people die off, there is a real mix, fortunately 95% people get along and understand each other. Buying into the neighborhood is getting difficult.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:15 AM
cmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post

Who brings an ID on a club ride? I never do, never have. Never been stopped, even when I ran the stop sign in front of them. Give them any name. Cyclist are easy targets, small number, slow vehicle compared to car, flashy clothes and ride in packs, one stop yields large confrontations.