Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 11:13 AM

OT: Amazon Unlimited stations?

I've used Pandora for a few years. Not too expensive, but I'm hearing the same stuff over & over. The main reason I got it was to hear stuff I wouldn't on my own.
So, Prime day & Amazon offers 4 months of Unlimited music for a dollar. Can't pass up at least trying it for that.
What I need to figure out is is there a way to set it up like Pandora, where you can create a station based off a song or artist & it will fill the station in with similar music? Don't want to build a playlist, want to hear new stuff.
I can't figure it out or even if it's possible. I can't believe that this is something completely unique to Pandora.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:55 PM

Not what you asked, but have you tried Slacker? (they have a free version).
In addition to creating your own stations like Pandora, they have their own "Specialty Stations", such as Artist DNA, and Spotlight (which has stations such as Weekly Top 40, Weekly Alternative, Album of the Week, etc)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:00 AM

Amazon Music has stations. You can base them off many (I'm not sure if "all") artists. They will play music "similar" to the artist you choose to base the station on. I've been curious about what algorithm they use ... how they define similarity. But it works pretty well and you can always fast forward through the occasional song you don't want to listen to.

With one Amazon music unlimited account I can listen on two phones, two computers and my living room TV and Stereo (through a Amazon fire connection). The selection of music is VAST.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Randomhead

I think if you listen to enough stations, they will offer an option called "music just for you." At least that's what Amazon music does. Music just for me is a little too oriented towards modern folk for my tastes, but I find it listenable. I generally like Spotify better, but for some reason I end up listening to more bands I don't like on Spotify.

Pandora used to be a lot more interesting. I think what they found is that people like repetition. Thus, the inanity of top 40 radio. But their algorithm was never as good as they were promoting it to be.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkelly View Post
Amazon Music has stations. You can base them off many (I'm not sure if "all") artists. They will play music "similar" to the artist you choose to base the station on. I've been curious about what algorithm they use ... how they define similarity. But it works pretty well and you can always fast forward through the occasional song you don't want to listen to.

With one Amazon music unlimited account I can listen on two phones, two computers and my living room TV and Stereo (through a Amazon fire connection). The selection of music is VAST.
So how do you set those up? I can figure out playlists, but not stations.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
So how do you set those up? I can figure out playlists, but not stations.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201614430

Quote:
Prime Stations are ad-free, personalized streaming music stations you can use to discover songs from the Prime Music catalog. You can like and dislike songs, and skip as many songs as you like.

Eligible Prime members can listen to Prime Stations as part of the Prime Music service. For more information about Prime Music eligibility go to: Am I Eligible for Prime Music?

You can listen to Prime Stations from:
• Amazon Alexa enabled (Echo) devices
• Amazon Music for Web (https://music.amazon.com)
• Amazon Music for PC & Mac
• iOS devices
• Android smartphones and tablets (v.4.0 and above)
• Amazon Fire TV devices (Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick)
• Fire tablets (with Fire OS 4.0 and above)
• Fire phone
• Bose SoundTouch systems
• HEOS devices
• Play-Fi enabled devices
• Sonos devices

Note: At this time, Prime Stations are not available on Kindle Fire (1st Generation) and Kindle Fire (2nd Generation) devices.

To start listening, open Browse from the Amazon Music menu and look for the Stations category.

To learn more about listening to Prime Stations on Amazon Echo, go to Listen to Amazon Music.

Pick a genre, decade or artist, and select a station to start streaming Prime songs from that category. Genre and decade stations will play you a selection of songs from that category or era; artist stations will play songs similar to the artist you have chosen, along with some of their best songs.

Use the + option in the playback controls to add the currently playing song to My Music.

You can also save ratings for songs to customize Stations playback. Select the Thumbs Up icon in your playback controls if you like the currently playing song and want to hear more like it. Select Thumbs Down to stop playing the song and remove it from the Station's song rotation. These preferences are saved to your account, and apply to all of your devices.

My Soundtrack, a personalized station just for you, creates a station for you based on what you’re listening to, and what songs you’ve rated Thumbs Up. To influence the music on your station, listen to songs you’d like included and rate them Thumbs Up.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:41 AM
cmg

WBER, KEXP, 3wk all have online streaming. short of creating your own algorithm, does amazon do that?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Prime is different than Unlimited, but it looks like that "MyStation" think is as close as it gets. That sounds like Pandora's "Thumbprint" station. Not exactly what I was hoping for.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:56 AM
I need you cool.

I also have Pandora....seems OK

However, I was informed by my 17 year old son that I am an idiot and should be using Spotify....

He loaded it onto my desktop...have not had a chance to check it out yet, but you might throw that into the mix as well.