Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 08:45 AM

Check out

watchuseek.com

You can spend days there!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Three words: Stainless Steel Rolex

Looks good with a suit, looks good with a bathing suit, will last forever.

I like the Explorer 1, but any Oyster series is a solid choice.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:27 AM

I’m not saying they aren’t worth it but, new Rolex Subs go for almost $9000 these days and used ones aren’t that far behind. Just not in my last lifetime! I may go quartz Omega- mechanical is just not robust enough for me at my job. I here Old Potatoe - PX in Kadena Okinawa had Rolex Submariner for 1200 in 1992- that was 3 paychecks for me! And just asking my, but are Tags any good??
Old 07-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I’m not saying they aren’t worth it but, new Rolex Subs go for almost $9000 these days and used ones aren’t that far behind. Just not in my last lifetime! I may go quartz Omega- mechanical is just not robust enough for me at my job. I here Old Potatoe - PX in Kadena Okinawa had Rolex Submariner for 1200 in 1992- that was 3 paychecks for me! And just asking my, but are Tags any good??
Rota Spain Exchange..my first MED cruise, 1976..Rolex Oysters(not date-just)..$190

My 1978 GMT Master worth 10 times what I paid in 1978..
Old 07-21-2018, 10:08 AM

Red face

Quote:
Agreed that the sport watch from Rolex has become a BIG TICKET price.

As to is Tag a good watch? Well.... that’s like asking if Spec is a good bike. They aren’t my cup of tea, for the most part. But I like a few of them.

Also if you are buying a tool watch, then it is a tool, and robust enough for most jobs. I had/have a customer who owns a propane company, who wears his collectible explorer every day. Both in the office, as well as out in the field digging ditches and laying pipe. I personally think he enjoys the latter more than the office stuff. His watch needs service about every 3-4 years, then right back to work.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
My black sub no date was 7500, and I was lucky to find it
Rolex has put a serious hold on distribution and there are serious wait lists on most models
Old 07-21-2018, 11:19 AM

Thanks Guys Ill look at the Hamilton and Seiko's but still leaning toward a Used Omega I really like the look. Sorry Rolex fans I have never been a fan just not my cup of tea. Thanks Anryscientist you brought up many great valid points that I didnt think of. I did have a Marathon Dive Watch and man that thing was heavy. and thanks Oldpotato I appreciate it but I just couldn't quit no one likes a quitter.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Used Omegas are generally a great value if you have time to look around for a deal, but be wary of early Coaxial movements. There were some QC issues early on and warranties were quietly extended but still could be annoying.

All of the mid+ tier watches with in-house movements are generally only serviceable from their own dealers these days, so if you are hard on your watches I'd look for something with an ETA or Seiko movement as well.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:29 PM

I’ve had several Rolex watches.
My favourite is the explorer 2 polar. I sold mine a couple of years ago, and now regret it. Currently have a GMT 2 “Batman”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyh View Post
Used Omegas are generally a great value if you have time to look around for a deal, but be wary of early Coaxial movements. There were some QC issues early on and warranties were quietly extended but still could be annoying.

All of the mid+ tier watches with in-house movements are generally only serviceable from their own dealers these days, so if you are hard on your watches I'd look for something with an ETA or Seiko movement as well.
I believe that Omega now owns ETA.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:02 PM

Both Rolex and Omega automatics have a service requirement every five years and was ~$500 last service.
My daily is a Tag electronic that is on it's third battery.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:04 PM

swatch group is the 800# gorilla of the industry

...owns these brands

Breguet, Harry Winston, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, Omega, Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Calvin Klein, Swatch, Flik Flak.

...and these production companies

ETA, Nivarox-FAR, CHH Microtechnique, Comadur, Rubattel et Weyermann, MOM Le Prélet, Universo, Manufacture Ruedin, Simon Et Membrez, Lascor, Novi, Swatch Group Assembly, DYB, EM Microelectronic, Renata, Micro Crystal, Swiss Timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Old 07-21-2018, 04:28 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I too would suggest starting out with something less expensive. That may help you to narrow down exactly what type of watch bests fits you, i.e. diver, dress, chrono, etc. But you do seem to have your heart set on an Omega and I can understand that; I've found that in life that if I end up buying something different than what I desire I often am never really happy with that item. At the minimum find a good watch store locally and at least get a feel for the different styles.

As far as other brands go, I'll add another vote for a Grand Seiko. I have owned a lot of nice watches; Omega and Rolex are on that list. I purchased a GS a couple of months ago and IMO it is head and shoulders above anything else that I have owned....the build quality and attention to detail are just outstanding.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcxmbfj View Post
Both Rolex and Omega automatics have a service requirement every five years and was ~$500 last service.
My daily is a Tag electronic that is on it's third battery.
No idea about Omega but I did the every 5 years service on my GMT Master(at Rolex in NY) until a very well versed local Rolex watch wrench said not to bother. If it’s working, gain or lose stays the same, no issue..service when you have an issue. Stopped every 5 years service about 20 years ago on my works perfect, 40 year old Rolex. Ymmv and all that.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 PM

Swatch Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Consolidation in the industry so Swatch Group is the owner of most of the bigger brands. Rolex, Patel Phillipe, A Lange, Ball are still independent but most are part of Swatch Group. They also own ETA. Some brands rework the ETA but they make a solid movement.

I am pretty sure they own Omega, Hamilton, Rado and I believe Movado so they have a wide range of offerings.

If you can find a Cal 89 IWC in a stainless case it will be SOLID.

Tags
braceline, man bracelet