Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amocat View Post
Yeah i will be looking for vintage period correct brake cables and housing before going to new stuff if i have to - it does have grooved cable housing for both deraillers but not brakes ..does this mean they were replacements ?

Correction ; brake cables are ribbed and derailleur are straight groove .
Old 07-20-2018, 02:22 PM

That saddle may be worth more than everything else combined.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:26 PM

Brake housings should be ribbed. That means they have a good chance of being originals; at least they're the right type.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amocat View Post
Its sort of a time capsule ..came with Mafac tool pouch under seat , Silca pump and everything is original down to tubulars besides being weather cracked still hold air !
As a fellow PX10 owner, I suggest you clean it and ride it. '70's cables are very different from today's cables. I ended up using gray Jagwire housing and Campi cables. Looks OEM at 10 feet.

Last edited by Hellgate; 07-20-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:32 PM

There are people who are looking for Mafac brakes of that vintage. Ditto for the Stronglight cranks. Those Simplex derailleurs, though ... the front was always an abomination, and I had a couple bikes with them (including a PX10 exactly like this one). I wouldn't just value the saddle. Looks like an Ideal 90, but can't quite read the label? The shape is right, anyway.

You have a bike that isn't worth a fortune but is cool in the original condition it's in. You could ride it in a vintage event and be quite proud of it. Roger Pingeon won a tour on one, and I think Tom Simpson was on one when he died of an overdose of drugs on the Ventoux. They have quite a noble history. Figure it's a cool thing to have, won't appreciate hugely, perhaps worth a bit under a grand today, and treat it accordingly. I'd ride the hell out of it on gravel and dirt and RAGBRAIs and the like and make no apologies. It equally deserves to sit in a living room looking like a classic. You can't make a bad choice.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
There are people who are looking for Mafac brakes of that vintage. Ditto for the Stronglight cranks. Those Simplex derailleurs, though ... the front was always an abomination, and I had a couple bikes with them (including a PX10 exactly like this one). I wouldn't just value the saddle. Looks like an Ideal 90, but can't quite read the label? The shape is right, anyway.

You have a bike that isn't worth a fortune but is cool in the original condition it's in. You could ride it in a vintage event and be quite proud of it. Roger Pingeon won a tour on one, and I think Tom Simpson was on one when he died of an overdose of drugs on the Ventoux. They have quite a noble history. Figure it's a cool thing to have, won't appreciate hugely, perhaps worth a bit under a grand today, and treat it accordingly. I'd ride the hell out of it on gravel and dirt and RAGBRAIs and the like and make no apologies. It equally deserves to sit in a living room looking like a classic. You can't make a bad choice.
Thanks for the input ..i had quite a few vintage high end bikes in the past and still own quite a few but this one is very unique to me , has Reynolds 531 tubing / Stronglight 93 Crank 170mm 56T chainring / Brooks Pro Saddle and most of all its from 1972 and still looks and perform quite well - value wise i think its worth whatever someone wants to pay , i know i want to enjoy it for a bit !
Old 07-20-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
As a fellow PX10 owner, I suggest you clean it and ride it. '70's cables are very different from today's cables. I ended up using gray Jagwire housing and Campi cables. Looks OEM at 10 feet.
How is yours condition wise ..was it restored or ridden as-is ? As far as cable goes i will try to stick with the ones i have on for now but will keep a lookout for genuine 70's era cable housing which i will mostly need !
Old 07-21-2018, 05:38 AM

I bought mine as a frameset and built it with brand and period correct parts. The parts were NOS or in very good condition.

I used Spidel parts, Stronglight sealed BB, HS, and NOS MA2 rims with Corsa tires.

I do need to find a proper seatpost and newer Spidel calipers.

Last edited by Hellgate; 07-23-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
I bought mine as a frameset and built it with brand and period correct parts. The parts were NOS or in very good condition.

I used Spidel parts, Stronglight sealed BB, HS, and NOS MA3 rims with Corsa tires.

I do need to find a proper seatpost and newer Spidel calipers.

Wow , looks awesome , brake levers ..what are they ?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:32 AM

Mafac. Just standard drillium levers. The bars are NOS Phillipe Tour de France.

It's interesting, compared to today's lever and bar combos, that old stuff is torturous!
Old 07-21-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
... Roger Pingeon won a tour on one, and I think Tom Simpson was on one when he died of an overdose of drugs on the Ventoux. They have quite a noble history...
Add Bernard Thevenet to the list. Didn't he win two tours on one...
Old 07-21-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdimattio View Post
Add Bernard Thevenet to the list. Didn't he win two tours on one...
Eddy Merckx rode one in 66'-67' with team Peugeot-BP-Michelin;

Eddy Merckx (1967)

Peugeot-BP-Michelin teammates Ferdinand "Ferdi" Bracke and Eddy Merckx would pair with one another to win the 2-up team time trial Trofeo Angelo Baracchi in both the 1966 and 1967 seasons. And in a strange twist of fate, it would be his fellow Belgian and former teammate Merckx who would claim the World Hour Record title for himself in 1972, eclipsing Ole Ritter’s 1968 distance by 0.778 kilometers and Bracke’s 1967 run by 1.338 kilometers.

This photograph also serves as what I believe to be an instructive contrast between the prototypical Peugeot-BP-Michelin team issue PX-10 of this era (...Bracke’s bicycle) as opposed to a custom built Faliero Masi masquerading as a Peugeot (...i.e. Merckx’s). Eddy Merckx has written quite publicly that he rode a stock Peugeot PX-10 throughout 1966 and the early months of 1967, but after having become disenchanted with the performance of that model, he elected to have Faliero Masi build a “Peugeot type” bicycle using Nervex Dubois lugs which was subsequently painted and decaled in Peugeot-BP-Michelin team livery for use throughout the latter half of 1967. Based upon the particulars in evidence here (...the lack of chrome on the rear stays and front fork, no contrasting Black paint on the lugs, horizontal slots in the bottom bracket shell, and a Masi decal located underneath the lower Peugeot chequerboard seat tube band), the bicycle shown to the right of this photograph would be a Merckx’s pseudo Peugeot built by Masi and not an actual PX-10. Of course, beyond the frameset itself, there are at least a few other differences between the two team bikes including Merckx’s choice of Universal brake levers paired with MAFAC Racer calipers as opposed to an all MAFAC combination, and fitment of a Campagnolo Record model 1039 headset rather than the typical Stronglight P3 component seen on Bracke’s bike.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Heres the pic !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1967 Merckx - 02.jpg (148.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 AM

If you will only ride it now and then, then don't change anything that you don't have to. Riding along and looking down at those original cables would be a kick. I would find some more appropriate rims, put on some Koolstops and new tires and check the chain. Cool bike. Just be careful in tightening the front derailleur clamp. Mine is from 1969 and works perfectly. The forces on the clamp are not like on a modern derailleur so it need not be clamped very tight.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:44 AM

I thought PX10's had the Nervex "cut out" lugs. I remember Dec 26, 1989 - father brought me to bike store at age 12 to buy my own bike. The PX10 was in the window, 175.00. The UO8 was 89.00. I ended up with a Flandria for 82.00 but interestly enough - that Flandria really got me into inside of biking, I met in 1973 the importer of Flandria, he had never saw a French made one. I asked and he said yes to job in this small retail shop. 2 months later I got a Flandria Team Pro (1st gen dura ace) right above import cost.