Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 03:57 AM
bykhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
Just talked to the mechanic--rear differential failure on the Subaru, which is entirely bizarre.

$800 repair, or say our goodbyes . . .

In any case, it looks like the car shopping is about to get a lot more urgent.
This is an extremely rare failure. Your 1997 has the 2.2l engine I believe. That's a fairly highly regarded engine.

You seem happy with the car. For your needs, I'd fix it for the $800 and keep driving.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 AM

$800 is cheaper than 3 months of new car payment. Hell, its probably less than the tax/registration on a new car.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:20 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
Agree.

If you don't care about the driving experience aspect, then skip a used audi or VW and get a subie. My family has had several over the years...brother has a recent Outback right and MIL has a brand new Legacy sedan. Both are okay cars, but to bring it back to cycling they compare to driving my Audi as a Surly Cross Check compares to riding my Hampsten...

Also, paying a premium for a more fuel efficient car doesn't really make sense if you're driving fewer than 10k miles per year.
Do you happen to have or know of a good VW/Audi mechanic locally? I’m perpetually on the fence about my 09 GTI. I love it but always look longingly at Audi wagons, particularly come winter! Thx.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
This is an extremely rare failure. Your 1997 has the 2.2l engine I believe. That's a fairly highly regarded engine.

You seem happy with the car. For your needs, I'd fix it for the $800 and keep driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
$800 is cheaper than 3 months of new car payment. Hell, its probably less than the tax/registration on a new car.
You're right--the $800 is not the deal-breaker, it's more the fact that the major systems of the car seem to be giving out one by one. In the past 12 months we've replaced so many pieces of this car. This time the mechanic looked at me and said, "Every car reaches a point where it can't really hold up to being your only vehicle. Yours has officially reached that point. I would never drive this thing up and over the mountains again." We'll definitely hold on to it as an 'around town' second car. He said the fluid in the differential was clean enough that we can drive it on short trips for quite a while before replacing the part.

In any case, we are not really in the market for a new car--we've saved up about $10000 to put toward a used car (really, we had been saving to replace the roof in our house, but closer inspection shows we've got another year before that major expense. Sigh.).
Old 07-17-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Do you happen to have or know of a good VW/Audi mechanic locally? I’m perpetually on the fence about my 09 GTI. I love it but always look longingly at Audi wagons, particularly come winter! Thx.
I highly recommend Central Service Garage in Natick. Dave, the proprietor, has been taking care of my Audis and VWs for many years.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 AM

My first choice would be the TDI wagon, great gas (diesel) mileage and I wouldn't have too many concerns about reliability. You may want to ask this question on VW Vortex or a Subie forum if you have not already.

Second choice would be the Outback, also reliable but less fun than the VW.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:02 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I highly recommend Central Service Garage in Natick. Dave, the proprietor, has been taking care of my Audis and VWs for many years.
Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:11 PM

One of the best selling points of the fixed TDIs is the 11 year 162,000 mile transferable warranty.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:17 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
I don't really need a 'driving experience.' I care about price, reliability, and functionality way more than anything else. We've looked seriously at minivans (I love the practicality), but they lack the clearance (really, it's an issue of angle-of-attack) to get around in our neighborhood (lots of steep ascents, sharp dips, etc.) without incessant scraping.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just find another Subaru that fits the budget?
Incidentally, we use our family hauler for exactly the same. Kids' car pools, trips to CO and WY, family outings up the canyon, etc. We love the Sienna. It's got 6.7" of ground clearance (I think that's the same as the Golf Alltrack?), and have no issues with dips and curbs (which my wife is always subconsciously drawn to). Massive room inside, safe, and very useful. Super duper boring to drive, but you know that already.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:28 PM
needs adult supervision

If AWD isn’t needed, another option is a used Volvo V50. Everyone I’ve ever talked to who owned one, loved it.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
One of the best selling points of the fixed TDIs is the 11 year 162,000 mile transferable warranty.
That is a nuance that I was not aware of. Audi and Porsche created a bridge warranty for the TDi vehicles of 10 (12?) years and 120K miles. Then there's also a 4 year/48K mile warranty that's applied after the fix is done.

I'm not sure that VW offered the bridge warranty too...

In my case, I just bought a Q7 TDi with 119K miles. That bridge warranty expires shortly, and the 4/48K kicks in. If the Q7 had 60K miles, I would have had another 60K mile on the bridge warranty. Not sure that the 4/48K stacks on top of that though...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-17-2018, 02:21 PM

I am also a wagon fan, have a 2008 Saab 9-5 manual. Been very good, normal little Saab things. No problem getting parts. However now need full exhaust, brakes, and power windows switch in middle. Not sure if worth it, body is in fine shape however. I drive very little now, but would only replace with quality seating, preferrably leather due to my bad back. Want a wagon due to height, can lift kayaks on top without stretching. A few year old Volvo seems like a decent choice, no idea on reliability of newer ones.

Meanwhile we have 2 Prius's (one actually Lexus 200h) that are ultra reliable, daughters car has 170K on it, been cross country twice. Only thing needed is brakes.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:25 PM

Another wagon fan here. I recently picked up a '14 BMW 328D Xdrive. And a Seasucker rack for the roof (Paceline purchase)! The car has ticked over 50K. It is smooth riding, powerful and fun-to-drive. Those of you looking for a second hand rig might come across one of these. I've driven european rentals, but this is my first diesel car here. Call me pretty impressed so far.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
$800 isn't that much for a car repair. i'd fix the differential and drive it until the engine seizes or given that it's a subaru, the head gasket blows (again)

is your mechanic a local independent guy/shop? call around and get other quotes...
I need a $1k transfer case in my X3.

Still gonna do it and keep driving the thing 'cause it's a unicorn: 6MT in an X3! The computer says I'm getting mid-20s with the air on. Beats the 13-17 in my F150...

M
Old 07-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Quick update--

I test drove a 2014 Sportwagen TDI yesterday. Really interesting experience. I assume you get used to the lag pretty quickly, but I had flashbacks to the first time I drove a stick. No stalling this time, but plenty of 'hesitation' when starting from a stop.

I loved so many things about the car--drove so nicely. Plenty of space inside for our needs (with one exception, discussed below. I loved the sunroof, the acceleration onto the highway. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't feel huge--the hood is shorter than our Impreza hatchback!

The downsides--the roof is awfully low for the people sitting in the back seat. This genuinely surprised me. I am not a tall person (5'11" on a good day), but I can't sit in the back seat without having my head smashed against the ceiling. Seemed odd.

We're looking at a couple of minivans in the area this weekend. Still not sure which option makes the most sense:

--Minivan (for the extra seatbelts (carpools, etc.) and cargo space)
--VW (for the mileage and comfort)
--Subaru (jack of all trades, master of none; familiar territory)