Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 08:55 AM

Shower Pass Spring Classic jacket(NEW PARAMETERS)

Is raining today. Takes me to my lame wet weather gear.

THoughts on this please?

How does it fit?

Comparable products out there?

Last edited by Dromen; 07-24-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:13 AM

There are one or two recent threads on rain jackets with lots of suggestions. You can search for those.
I have the Showers Pass Elite. Not sure how that compares with the Classic Spring jacket. The Elite is nice, but bulkier than many of the other choices. It's a good commuter jacket but heavier and warmer than I typically want for summer riding. For bike packing and touring I usually take an old EMS Gore tex that I bought 15 years ago as it packs smaller and also has pit zips, velcro cuffs, is light, has great ventilation. Also has hood which is nice off the bike. Some of of the high end choices are more form fitting and jersey-pocket packable.
I've been eyeing the Search and State which I think is not quite jersey-packable, but very nice looking. Hard to justify when my old $80 EMS is about perfect for my uses.

Last edited by marciero; 07-22-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:48 AM

Not a fan. The gore shakedry jackets I find superior in alomst any catagory you compare them to except price. The shakedry jacket is cooler, more breathable, more packetable, lighter, moter water proof..... but more expensive.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromen View Post
Is raining today. Takes me to my lame wet weather gear.

THoughts on this please?

How does it fit?

Comparable products out there?
Aren't 'Gabba' rain jackets the shiznit these days? Close fitting so if you are a doughboy(like me) maybe not the best but..

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...i-gabba-154686
Old 07-22-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Not a fan. The gore shakedry jackets I find superior in alomst any catagory you compare them to except price. The shakedry jacket is cooler, more breathable, more packetable, lighter, moter water proof..... but more expensive.
I totally agree - gore shakedry jacket is absolutely the best lightweight jacket I have ever had.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Well, there's one other category where Shakedry is deficient: Visibility. Weather where one might wear a Shakedry jacket typically also has low light and low contract. And unfortunately, Shakedry is currently only available in black and gray - not exactly high visibility colors.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:01 PM

I looked at one of these Shakedry jackets a few months ago, but the durability/price ratio wasn't there for me. Apparently, the jacket's membrane has no outer fabric, just the bare exposed membrane. This is from the jacket description on Comp Cyclist:

Shakedry's lightweight feel and the material itself doesn't feel that far removed from a paper-like material. Gore does recommend that this jacket's reserved for road use applications only. It is plenty robust enough for road use but abrasion from hydration packs, sharp branches, and the increased likelihood of crashing while riding off-road damaging the material might prove to be perhaps the only Achilles' heel we could find with this jacket.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I looked at one of these Shakedry jackets a few months ago, but the durability/price ratio wasn't there for me. Apparently, the jacket's membrane has no outer fabric, just the bare exposed membrane. This is from the jacket description on Comp Cyclist:

Shakedry's lightweight feel and the material itself doesn't feel that far removed from a paper-like material. Gore does recommend that this jacket's reserved for road use applications only. It is plenty robust enough for road use but abrasion from hydration packs, sharp branches, and the increased likelihood of crashing while riding off-road damaging the material might prove to be perhaps the only Achilles' heel we could find with this jacket.
Durability was a concern for me too. I have used it for two rainy winters (only rains in the winter for us) and it still works as well as it ever has. I mainly ride off road too. we will see how it holds up for year 3.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Well, there's one other category where Shakedry is deficient: Visibility. Weather where one might wear a Shakedry jacket typically also has low light and low contract. And unfortunately, Shakedry is currently only available in black and gray - not exactly high visibility colors.
You are right color selection is a minus. But I have a bright yellow helmet and bright tail light for visability
Old 07-23-2018, 06:28 PM

Joos and Willy,
Have you used the Spring Classic jacket?
Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Joos and Willy,
Yes, I owned one for a while when I was searching for a good rain jacket. It is a fine jacket except I felt it soaked through quicker than most jackets (really the gabba 2). Compared to the shakedry it was bulkier, hotter, less water resistant. I would choose a gabba 2 jersey over it as well.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Joos and Willy,
No - I had the Pro Tech and that did not breathe at all. My bike partners called it a condom

Last edited by Willy; 07-24-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:57 AM

Thanks. I think my only issue with Gore is my shape, not a Doughboy but not a breadstick either and durability to use a hydration backpack with the Shakedry.

Maybe i am looking for the holy grail of jackets, something that performs like a Shakedry with backpack approval in something more generous than a "race fit". Oh yeah, and jersey pocket packable.

Thanks for all feedback so far. Form coat tailing on to Paceline research, the closest if a have found to this is the Shower Pass and Search & State products.

Even if 'un-perfect', would like to get something close.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I think my only issue with Gore is my shape, not a Doughboy but not a breadstick either and durability to use a hydration backpack with the Shakedry.

Maybe i am looking for the holy grail of jackets, something that performs like a Shakedry with backpack approval in something more generous than a "race fit". Oh yeah, and jersey pocket packable.

Thanks for all feedback so far. Form coat tailing on to Paceline research, the closest if a have found to this is the Shower Pass and Search & State products.

Even if 'un-perfect', would like to get something close.
The shake dry is designed for the svelte body type. And I would not use a hydration pack with it. Because of concern of durability. So that one is probably not for you.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:00 AM

Thx J.

NEW PARAMETERS! Anyone have any thoughts on this jacket requirement?

Gore Shakedry-like performance.
Backpack compatible.
More generous fit(no race fit for me)
Jersey pocket packable.

Eezy Peezy.