Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 06:07 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Consolidation in the industry so Swatch Group is the owner of most of the bigger brands. Rolex, Patel Phillipe, A Lange, Ball are still independent but most are part of Swatch Group.
Lange is owned by Richemont. Ball is owned by Asia Commercial Holdings, which also owns some other watch brands.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:40 PM
'97 Ti Legend

You can't go wrong with a used Omega. If I had only one watch it would likely be a Speedmaster. Tough enough to go to the moon. I think still easily done under $2,000.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
No idea about Omega but I did the every 5 years service on my GMT Master(at Rolex in NY) until a very well versed local Rolex watch wrench said not to bother. If it’s working, gain or lose stays the same, no issue..service when you have an issue. Stopped every 5 years service about 20 years ago on my works perfect, 40 year old Rolex. Ymmv and all that.
YMMV is right, and I'm not a watch maker or any sort of expert, but I suspect that yours probably gave you pretty good advice on any mechanical or automatic watch. I got similar advice from a local watch maker who checked one of my watches not long ago and reported that it was still better than spec. Instead of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, more like, if it ain't showing degraded performance, you don't need to worry about it.

It's not like changing the oil on a car on schedule (leaving aside what that schedule should be); and it's not as if you void the 1 year warranty by not having the watch cleaned (and adjusted and regulated) every five years. It might be pretty lucky if your watch is actually keeping the same time after 20 years without any service, but there are all sorts of variables, and whether it's plus/minus 2 seconds or 3 or 4 or 5 might not matter much if you actually have to reset it from time to time. I don't think I've had my GP serviced in . . . not sure, but maybe 10 years? I don't have a Rolex, but if any of my 3 automatics starts to seem off, I'll take it in.

I'm also not sure I'll use factory service again if I don't need to. A local master watch and clock maker charges 350 bucks instead of 500, and he doesn't keep it forever.

But . . . it's not as if mechanical or automatic watches don't sometimes need cleaning or repair. And none of them is indestructible, even if lots of them are fairly sturdy.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:45 AM

I bit the bullet last year and picked up a Rolex Explorer. It’s totally understated and wears pretty small for a 39mm watch. I wear it everyday dressed up or down and it looks great. I realize it’s very expensive though.

Like other people have stated, omegas loose there value significantly so the used market is a great place to get one cheap (relatively). Another brand I’d check out is Nomos - second hand can be had at good prices. Also surprised no one has brought up IWC. Used Mark Xvii can be had pretty cheap and are nice.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:56 AM

great choice, but prices have gone north...you'd be lucky to find one "easily" under $2K...it'd probably be in rough shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
You can't go wrong with a used Omega. If I had only one watch it would likely be a Speedmaster. Tough enough to go to the moon. I think still easily done under $2,000.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
great choice, but prices have gone north...you'd be lucky to find one "easily" under $2K...it'd probably be in rough shape.
Yeah, 4K is closer, it’s crazy -
Out of curiosity, do these used watch prices require haggling? I mean, most of them are barely 10 -20 percent of retail. Guess I’m used to getting flogged in Paceline classifieds!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:32 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Wow, you are right, and I probably need to have my insurance riders adjusted. Errr, maybe more like $3,000 if you get lucky on the used market? Geez, what have you guys been doing since I stopped buying watches when my son was born? Is that a reflection of Omega cutting down on non-authorized dealers selling watches and getting parts like Rolex, or is it just "the market"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
Old 07-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Wow, you are right, and I probably need to have my insurance riders adjusted. Errr, maybe more like $3,000 if you get lucky on the used market? Geez, what have you guys been doing since I stopped buying watches when my son was born? Is that a reflection of Omega cutting down on non-authorized dealers selling watches and getting parts like Rolex, or is it just "the market"?
I had a Speedmaster that I bought used in 2001 for $1,200. Several months ago, I sold it for $3,000 on the Bay.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
I had a Speedmaster that I bought used in 2001 for $1,200. Several months ago, I sold it for $3,000 on the Bay.
I'm curious about selling a nice NOS watch that I own--would you recommend eBay (I have lots of positive feedback, no watches though) or is there an alternative auction site that anyone would recommend?

I actually have a couple of nice watches, and just got out of the habit of wearing them.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
I believe that Omega now owns ETA.
My point was just that any number of service shops are familiar and comfortable with ETA movements, not so much the Omega Coaxial (or any of the recent in-house movements from Tudor et al.).

Quote:
Have you owned one? I love my Speedy and wear it damn near every day but manual chrono movements are known for their precision, not their toughness. Even just winding it too aggressively can cause issues.

If OP is going used Omega I think a diver is by far the better bet here.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I'm curious about selling a nice NOS watch that I own--would you recommend eBay (I have lots of positive feedback, no watches though) or is there an alternative auction site that anyone would recommend?

I actually have a couple of nice watches, and just got out of the habit of wearing them.
Watchuseek over eBay, or even one of those consignment places like Real Real if you don't want to stress over it.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Its the market.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcxmbfj View Post
Both Rolex and Omega automatics have a service requirement every five years and was ~$500 last service.
Yep. If you are interested in automatic watches like these, I highly recommend seeing if you can join a local chapter of your NAWCC and network with your local service community.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti_on_Steel View Post
Three words: Stainless Steel Rolex

Looks good with a suit, looks good with a bathing suit, will last forever.

I like the Explorer 1, but any Oyster series is a solid choice.
Plus 1. Oyster case is solid and they hold value well for a good daily. Automatic Air King or Datejust are good basics.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:46 PM

Does anyone own a Ball Airborne?

Tags
braceline, man bracelet