Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 09:38 AM

Seat bag/pump rec

When I’m riding out in the sticks, I hew to a belt and suspenders approach to emergency inflation.

So, I’m looking for a way to carry a backup to C02 on my soon-to-be-back-in-service Parlee (Z5 SLi) - no fitment for a frame pump there and I’d rather not have the mini frame pump side-mounted rattley-bang to a water bottle cage.

While I do usually pack a second Co2 in my jersey pocket tool kit, wondering if there is a more elegant/durable solution that piggy-backs on my use of a dedicated seat-bag. So, I’m looking for a saddle bag that could hold a small mini pump (Silca?) if so, which ones - the Arundel “Tubi” seatbag looks long enough to fit a minpump? Or maybe this is a use case for one of those rechargeable inflator-jobbies?

Welcome any feedback or first-hand experience.

MB
Old Today, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Not really what you asked, but I just carry a small pump in my back pocket when I ride my bikes that don't have a frame pump.
Old Today, 09:42 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Easy 3D print to add a CO2 mount along side the waterbottle cage
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5374014
Old Today, 09:50 AM

I still have a few full size Zefal pumps that I carry under the top tube. I use a velcro strap to keep it from falling off, it works fine even on a Tarmac. The velcro straps used to be available everywhere, but I just looked on Bike Tires Direct and thay don's seem to have them. Someone else may, but if not it should be pretty easy to make something though. The originals have a little foam pad that keeps the pump from riding against the frame.
Old Today, 10:03 AM

I think any pump you want to use (AKA is good) will be bigger than a bag you want to put on a Parlee. Smallest in my stable is Topeak Race Rocket. Well-made, fits nicely in the jersey pocket, but will not fit in any of my reasonable sized saddle bags. I had a pocket rocket a while ago; that might fit in a saddle bag.
Old Today, 10:11 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
I think any pump you want to use (AKA is good) will be bigger than a bag you want to put on a Parlee.
^^^This

Not sure what's "rattley-bang" about the mounts that go next to a water bottle cage; all of my bikes have a Topeak Road Morph G attached via one of those clips* under the down tube bottle cage, and they are noiseless and don't interfere with my pedaling.

*Edit: Blackburn SK-1, Todson TPD-2C, Topeak TPMB-2C-1, or equivalent... not the stock bracket that comes included with the Road Morph.

Last edited by Bob Ross; Today at 10:56 AM.
Old Today, 10:22 AM

this has worked for me without issue for several hundred miles

i sleeved it with a little cut butyl for extra grip and to keep the pump from opening while in the strap.

orucase bag
lezyne pump

the pump comes with a cage mount that i used for thousands of miles and it worked fine and i never once heard it rattle

it is tiny and it's not fun pumping up to 60 psi from 0 but if you're looking to add it as a backup and keep things small, maybe it makes sense for you.
Old Today, 10:54 AM

I have never, ever had a mini-pump that was mounted with the bottle cage rattle. Realistically when I had a full frame pump I had way more incidents of that popping loose.

Right now I/we have all of the following:

- 2 different Bontragers, no rattling
- A Lezyne, no rattling
- A Wolf Tooth, no rattling
- My wife has a Specialized one, no rattling
- My son has year another Bontrager one, no rattling

I would just mount it there.

On one of my bikes I have a mini-frame bag and I can put the pump in there with my tools + tube. That works fine too but I don't think it looks right on a racy bike, that's my commuter, and the mini frame bag centralizes the weight towards the front which I think that bike needs. It also gets rid of the saddle bag which could interfere with lights, that bike doesn't have a lot of seatpost showing.

You can also just carry a mini-pump in a jersey pocket, plenty do that. Just don't forget it. For some people it's a bonus that putting the pump + tools in your jersey pocket lets you say your bike is lighter. But it's definitely not any faster uphill.

The bigger issue with mini-pumps is finding one you like that looks good with the color of your frame. Kind of important since most of the time it just sits there and comes along for the ride.

Last edited by benb; Today at 10:56 AM.
Old Today, 11:59 AM

This is the smallest mini pump I know of:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...rbon-minipump/

I wouldn't it as a primary flat fixing device, but as a "I need to get home and I'm out of CO2" pump, it would probably work well enough.

(edit) I don't own one, and haven't used one, but they have been discussed here before.
Old Today, 12:31 PM

I’m not recommending the pump as it’s for high volume, but I keep my one up components pump under my bottle cage on both a FS mtb and a gravel bike and I’ve never once heard a peep from either in the years Ive used both.
Old Today, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
This is the smallest mini pump I know of:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...rbon-minipump/

I wouldn't it as a primary flat fixing device, but as a "I need to get home and I'm out of CO2" pump, it would probably work well enough.

(edit) I don't own one, and haven't used one, but they have been discussed here before.
I had the Barbieri Carbone and it was a pretty good pump but did break on me eventually. I had two of them and they lasted years, and it was back when I had 23c tires and got more flats. It definitely worked. It is weird RH is not listing the brand name, the Nana is also from Barbieri.

I bought the Nana at some point and it broke the first time I used it... it is exceedingly weight weenie to the point it was a liability, unless I got a counterfeit.. but all the packaging looked right.

The problem with both of them is too many carbon parts glued or riveted together to reduce weight. In the case of the Carbone I believe it was the ultralight rivet that failed, in the case of the Nana I must have got one with bad glue.

CO2 is kind of heavy IIRC so even though the pump would be a backup I'm not sure why you'd go weight weenie when you're carrying CO2 *and* a pump. At that point you might as well make sure you have a bombproof pump because you're using it when your primary already failed.

Last edited by benb; Today at 12:39 PM.